Having problems withJi Tae

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On movement 15 the book is saying step back with a left foot to turn 90 degrees left into a horse stance with head facing front and execute simultaneous rising blocks.

My instructor would like it more like mountain block like in KumKang. I do not want to be dis-respectful and tell him it is this way since he is almost seventy and been doing alot longer than me. How should I handle this and which way is right and maybe it was change to the rising blocks sometime later and he just has never made the change. I would like to be able to do the right thing.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was recently at the Kukkiwon poomse seminar and it is and has been for some time, 2 high blocks. not the "mountain" block. One of the things they mentioned there was many people continue to do the old ways and not change to the new way. They expressed great dissatisfaction in the fact that people were doing things different and that we should all be the same. I understand your delima, I too have the same delimma. My GM does things a little different than KKW on some things. He refuses to change them so I have learned both ways. If you cannot persuade him that it has been changed either by showing him the KKW website where it calls for a hwangsomakki, then you will have to take it upon yourself to learn both ways. Lets face it, if he is the one testing you then its his way.
There were many things that were slightly different between how i did a form and how KKW wanted it. It was very easy to correct it. Not a big deal.
But on another note, with the new Poomse competition, it will be KKW way, any other variations will be deductions... so they say. maybe not at the local, but national and international it will. something to thing about.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks I just hate to be dis-respectful to a senior ranking guy that has been doing TKD since the early sixties and is a 7th Dan.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldnt think it would be dis-respectful to bring something to his attention. I'm not sure of the relationship you may have with him, but i would hope that you could show him the new way and let him decide if he wishes to change or not. If he feels it is your opinion of interpertation rather than the actual way, he may veiw it differently. You should be able to approach him with the change and bring it to his attention without being disresprectful or him being offended. Just let him decide... but you should still know both ways.

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do it his way with him, and the Kukkiwon way elsewhere.

Outside of competition, there's not real need for a "standardization" of form. Look at the Pinan/Heian/Pyungan forms. They vary from school to style to system, and the variations have some level of meaning to each group. There's no need to "standardize".

In a way, there is some level of this being a loyalty issue. Is it more important to follow your teacher's original flow of tradition, or to standardize according to some authority in Korea who really hasn't had the same impact on your life as your mentor?

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, you teach competition level TKD. IMO, teach it right so that when your players are on the floor they do it right, IE: 2 high blocks. I don't think this disrespects your Master at all. Things change and to be competitive you as an instructor need to change with them. You as an instructor understand this, do you not think your Master would too? After all, think of all the changes he has problem seen in his lifetime in TKD.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's simultaneous rising blocks. It was this way when the forms were created.

R. McLain

On movement 15 the book is saying step back with a left foot to turn 90 degrees left into a horse stance with head facing front and execute simultaneous rising blocks.

My instructor would like it more like mountain block like in KumKang. I do not want to be dis-respectful and tell him it is this way since he is almost seventy and been doing alot longer than me. How should I handle this and which way is right and maybe it was change to the rising blocks sometime later and he just has never made the change. I would like to be able to do the right thing.

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow, he's still instructing at 70? Awesome.
icon14.gif

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, he's still instructing at 70? Awesome.
icon14.gif
the GM at my club still instructs occasionally and is 74 (9th dan) , we havent been affiliated with the kukkiwon or anything else in over 10 years. I have noticed when learning a new form several times that he does it differently to other clubs. I remember learning koryo form when I got my black belt and looking on youtube to watch people do it to use as a guide and noticed a few things in that form that we do differently. Fortunately my club can do them however the GM likes as we dont have to perform them in competitions or conform to the kukkiwon or any other organisation.