Question about KKW certificate

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever seen this and what does it mean?

where the persons number is, it had a number in parenthesis.

No. : (03) 0999999

What is that number? I have never seen that and wonder if any of you know what it is. How can I find out? Is this gonna effect their promotion?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have that on my 1st Dan from 1985. It was during the period when the WTF actually gave out the rank. I'm not sure how long that time period was, but it was a few years in the 1980's.

When I use the check Dan box on the KKW site, it has the same number that are on my 2nd & 3rd Dans.

Perhaps that the issue with the cert you are also looking at?

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
this KKW was issued within the last 5 years. I'm sure its legit, but curiousity about it has the best of me. This person has been around a long time. But does your recent ones still have it, or only those first ones.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only my 1985 cert has that number on it. Curiousity got to me as well, but I never got another answer except "your's was a WTF cert." Now, I'm even more curious.

When you type in your name on the KKW Dan check, what number comes up? Is it the (03) 99999 number or a different one?

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to get the information again. I was shown it. I have most of his info, but you know how the site is.... if it has a "." then you have to type a "." not sure the middle initial. tried a few without any result. but that dont mean much cause mine didnt come up either until i got it typed exactly the same way.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the number in the parentheses was the rank, i.e. (3) means 3rd dan. I don't have any of my old certificates around here but I don't see the parentheses in the newer certificates.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the number in the parentheses was the rank, i.e. (3) means 3rd dan. I don't have any of my old certificates around here but I don't see the parentheses in the newer certificates.

I don't have my 1st Dan near me, but I think mine had an (A) or something in it. Maybe we're talking about two different things.

Dana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've seen the (3) designation, followed by your individual dan member number go back into the late 1970s up through the early 1990s. You typically keep the individual dan member number throughout your rank progression. Early on, the (3) would be followed by the dan rank - dan membership number. I am not sure, but I believe the (3) might have been a USA designation, but I'm not sure.

If you are checking you rank on the KKW site, I'd skip the (3) and just use your individual dan member number.

Hope that helps.

Dana

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 1st Dan also had a (3) at the start. Perhaps a country designation, as you mentioned. Mine also an A & 4 numbers after it. The odd part was when I went to look it up on the KKW site (when I still was a KKW 1st Dan) it came up with the number that showed up on my KKW 2nd Dan.

I wonder why this is the case.

Latest Discussions