Have any of the pioneers written books about their Kwan?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a lot of interest about early kwan history. Did any of the pioneers write books (or papers) talking in detail of early training methods, history, or the like? Have any of the remaining Seniors been approached about writting or dictating books? I know there are a few written by successive generations,but I'm not aware of any of the pioneers writting works specifically about their kwans.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think GM Bok Man Kim has written about his early training methods, in the book that is now called 'Taekwondo: Defense against weapons'. I understand that this book previously went under another name.

Has anyone read this book, either in it's current form, or under the previous publication name 'Practical Taekwondo'? I'd be interested in hearing about it - I think it's next on my list.

Last edited:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
There is a lot of interest about early kwan history. Did any of the pioneers write books (or papers) talking in detail of early training methods, history, or the like? Have any of the remaining Seniors been approached about writting or dictating books? I know there are a few written by successive generations,but I'm not aware of any of the pioneers writting works specifically about their kwans.

GM Hwang Ki did, so did CHOI Hong Hi. Puunui might know of others.

As far as Kwan are concerned, the leadership all worked together to develop Taekwondo. They were not interested in documenting a specific phase of Taekwondo's development.

That last Kwanjang to write a book was GM LEE Kyo Yoon (close to 90 years old now), founder of the Han Moo Kwan. The name of the book is "Global Taekwondo" ISBN 978 89 94329 00 0
I assisted him directly with the editing of that book, which he published in 2010.

The book details out history, some philosophy and detail of Poomsae. GM Lee has published a lot of book since the 60's. IF you have them all you can see some of the evolution of Taekwondo. However, his books all focus on the standard of Taekwondo. Here is some info about the book.

book1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

book2.jpg
[/IMG]

book3.jpg
[/IMG]

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM Hwang Ki did, so did CHOI Hong Hi. Puunui might know of others.

Off the top of my head, Dr. YON Kwai Byeong wrote books, GM Henry Cho wrote his books, GM LEE Won Kuk wrote a book, GM PARK Chull Hee wrote one, as well as the book discussed by mastercole by GM LEE Kyo Yun, the Han Moo Kwan Chodae Kwan Jang. By the way, mastercole assisted in the preparation of that book and wrote the closing remarks. Others like to mention the Han Moo Kwan and the great influence it had on their curriculum, by mastercole can say that he assisted the Han Moo Kwan is telling the world about that curriculum.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone read this book, either in it's current form, or under the previous publication name 'Practical Taekwondo'? I'd be interested in hearing about it - I think it's next on my list.

Yes, I read it some time ago. Interesting book with a section devoted to self-defense and defending against weapons. He also included a few new patterns which he developed, unarmed, knife, and staff.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have that in the original hardback version. It's ok. I met GM KIM Bok Man at one of the Hall of Fame dinners. He gave me an autographed copy of his new book Chun Kuhn Do.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, Dr. YON Kwai Byeong wrote books, GM Henry Cho wrote his books, GM LEE Won Kuk wrote a book, GM PARK Chull Hee wrote one, as well as the book discussed by mastercole by GM LEE Kyo Yun, the Han Moo Kwan Chodae Kwan Jang. By the way, mastercole assisted in the preparation of that book and wrote the closing remarks. Others like to mention the Han Moo Kwan and the great influence it had on their curriculum, by mastercole can say that he assisted the Han Moo Kwan is telling the world about that curriculum.

Is GM LEE's (Won Kuk) book available in English?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is GM LEE's (Won Kuk) book available in English?

No. It was written in 1968 and was a collaboration between GM Lee and GM PARK Hae Man. The photographs in the book were taken at GM Park's house. A good senior of mine gave me his copy.

I recently obtained a book which is I think a dedication to Moo Duk Kwan GM HONG Chong Soo. It outlines through pictures mostly his life as a martial artist from when he was a small boy until his last days. There are tons of photos in it, the great majority of which I have never seen before, including a picture of GM Hong's Moo Duk Kwan 8th Dan dated 1965, which means he got promoted to this rank after about 18 years of training.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also, GM PARK Hae Man has other books out there, one is called Taekwondo World I think. But if you are looking for books on the older methods, then you won't find any unless you go and buy old books. The pioneers are not interested in the old curriculum but rather they are more interested in the curriculum that they created, which is the current kukkiwon technical standards and poomsae. If you wish to understand how the pioneers think, then I would purchase the kukkiwon textbook. The pioneers are all listed as contributing editors for that. For example, GM Park created palgwae 3 and 8, but when I informed him that I was interested in practicing the palgwae poomsae again and work my way back through the pyongahn hyung, he made a funny face and told me don't bother doing that.

The pioneers freely speak about history, because they think the process of unification is important and that there are important lessons to be learned from the way things have unfolded, the way certain situations and certain people were handled, but if you try to discuss old training methods, they shut down and actively discourage that. I think they feel that already too many people outside of korea continue to cling to the older training methods, and they don't want to encourage any others from being like that. Therefore I don't believe you will ever see a pioneer writing a book along the lines that you wish for above. It's not how they think.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but if you try to discuss old training methods, they shut down and actively discourage that. I think they feel that already too many people outside of korea continue to cling to the older training methods, and they don't want to encourage any others from being like that. Therefore I don't believe you will ever see a pioneer writing a book along the lines that you wish for above. It's not how they think.

That's disappointing from my perspective, but I understand what you are saying. I've always been curious about the original Chung Do Kwan training methods. I suppose the closest approximation I'll get is from looking at Funakoshi Sensei's books.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's disappointing from my perspective, but I understand what you are saying. I've always been curious about the original Chung Do Kwan training methods. I suppose the closest approximation I'll get is from looking at Funakoshi Sensei's books.

Or GM SON Duk Sung, he has two books. I imagine they are somewhat close to an older Chung Do Kwan method.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually, not so much. GM Lee was somewhat critical of Gichin Sensei's technical standards, at least when compared to his son Yoshitaka Sensei. So many people attribute Gichin Sensei as GM Lee's teacher, but GM Lee always considered Yoshitaka Sensei (who he referred to as Waka Sensei) to be his main teacher and inspiration. Waka Sensei was also just one year older than GM Lee, so their outlook and perspective were similar in that regard. I showed GM Lee the Toudejutsu book written by Gichin Sensei and he had little comment about it, other than to mention that he reversed the order of Pinan 1 and 2.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, not so much. GM Lee was somewhat critical of Gichin Sensei's technical standards, at least when compared to his son Yoshitaka Sensei. So many people attribute Gichin Sensei as GM Lee's teacher, but GM Lee always considered Yoshitaka Sensei (who he referred to as Waka Sensei) to be his main teacher and inspiration. Waka Sensei was also just one year older than GM Lee, so their outlook and perspective were similar in that regard. I showed GM Lee the Toudejutsu book written by Gichin Sensei and he had little comment about it, other than to mention that he reversed the order of Pinan 1 and 2.

That is amazing. Getting a chance to interview GM Lee like you did, for days, is on the level of interviewing CHUN Sang Sup, YOON Byeong In etc. but unique. He opened the first Kwan.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is amazing. Getting a chance to interview GM Lee like you did, for days, is on the level of interviewing CHUN Sang Sup, YOON Byeong In etc. but unique. He opened the first Kwan.

The only one left is Song Moo Kwan GM RO Byung Jick, but that is a hard one. GM Ro is still alive and living in Minnesota, and those that have gone to visit him say that he has all kinds of martial arts related materials, photos, documents, certificates, etc.