has anyone used there tkd in a real fight

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've often used Tongue Soo Do in fights :D

But seriously, TKD? Well kinda-ish, I did a nice jump axe kick on a guy who started pushing me around outside a Tesco store once, but it was only 1 technique and he wasn't getting up any time soon, but looking back, if he'd done it to me today or yesterday, I would have just walked away from it.

What country do you live? If its the USA, then I can't help you in terms of how your school would handle it if you told them what was going on. On the other hand, if it was the UK, then expulsion rarely happens over here, including for repeated bullying, it'd probably take the involvement of a weapon to get expelled in most schools here. I'd still tell your teacher though, and if the worry is that they'll get you after school, and it's a gang of people against you alone, if you can't get away, then fight like hell, use every technique you can cause if it was me, I'd fear for my life and I wouldn't hold back.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do TKD, but I was taking TKD at the time if that counts, but after bashing my friend in the face and running, the guy came back and since he sucker punched my buddy I walked up to him and did a step-through sucker knife edge kick to his sternum, bounced him off the wall, as I bounced my foot off the floor, and caught him in the solar plexus with second kick. The fight was stopped shortly after by the bouncer. The guy was asked to never come back and I was invited back into the Bar. I suppose I should admit I also pulled out a huge hand full of his long blond hair; because, it is pretty stupid going around sucker punching people with all that pretty blonde hair, or at least I thought so at the time.:)
Sean

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh did I used to get into scrapes. As a kid when I did karate as an after school program there was this kid who was not part of the class who would hang out till after class and pick fights after sensei left. This went on for months and as nice as I was he still pushed me into a wall. Well one day I had enough and roundhouse kicked him square in the face. Never tried it again.Also being the son of a scientist and economist who were divorced I moved around a lot, went to 4 high schools in as many years. Always being the new kid does have its drawbacks. Two guys tried to rob me on my first day in school. It didn't end well for them, I was taken to the office, but straight A's and a clean recod beats two troublesome thugs every time. They were transfered out.

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow i didnt have a partner in sparring last night cause we had a odd amount of people and i went with instructor and got reverse hook kicked in my head it made me fall on the ground in front of the whole class lol and today i have a big bruise he said it was a accident its cause he was retreating and flung it I guess thats part of it though

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow i didnt have a partner in sparring last night cause we had a odd amount of people and i went with instructor and got reverse hook kicked in my head it made me fall on the ground in front of the whole class lol and today i have a big bruise he said it was a accident its cause he was retreating and flung it I guess thats part of it though
Accidents happen. Bear in mind that he has years of hard wired reflexes. And theres Ranging. Theres alot to take into account with every strike, and sometimes you dont take in everything.
But, in the interests of being half sarcastic and half humorous...

Guard Up. :)

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah haha thats true i was kind of chasin him though if you know what i mean like i was doing that thing where you do double rounhouse kicks (or trying to)

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That's karate. Sometimes you get a bump on the head. He said it was an accident. If you believe him, you're probably fine. If you're really injured see a doctor.

-Rob

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah haha thats true i was kind of chasin him though if you know what i mean like i was doing that thing where you do double rounhouse kicks (or trying to)
Possibly a bad time to be doing that. Because as soon as he saw you switch your hips, hed know youd be turning your body right in to his possible counter attack. Learn from this mistake. Its one your best off not making too often, because one day it might be a Linear Technique, as oppose to a Circular One.

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it came out of no where :p But im not mad about it or anything next time ill pay more attention 8)

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
People tend to make comments about the ineffectiveness of TKD because:

1. They might only watch TKD sparring, or 'sports' TKD, for that matter, which is in fact less than ideal
2. They might have trained in one of many McDojo's or have seen practioners from such places
3. They might have trained at a 'sports' focused 'TKD gym' or olympics' targetted competition training gyms.

If you practice the martial arts of TKD, it will surely be practical (whether ITF or WTF). However, it is proven that practicing different martial arts certianly has benefits.

However, one must remember the tenets of TKD, and not treat TKD as a fighting system. I hope you settle out the matters well at school!

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

1. They might only watch TKD sparring, or 'sports' TKD, for that matter, which is in fact less than ideal
2. They might have trained in one of many McDojo's or have seen practioners from such places
3. They might have trained at a 'sports' focused 'TKD gym' or olympics' targetted competition training gyms.

If you practice the martial arts of TKD, it will surely be practical (whether ITF or WTF). However, it is proven that practicing different martial arts certianly has benefits.

However, one must remember the tenets of TKD, and not treat TKD as a fighting system. I hope you settle out the matters well at school!
but just cause they train to get there leg back as quick as they can doesnt mean if thwy wanted to they couldnt kick hard right

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
but just cause they train to get there leg back as quick as they can doesnt mean if thwy wanted to they couldnt kick hard right

Its not that - People judge it based on the overall fighting style used in Olympic Sparring, which is fair. The kicks themselves work, its the way they use them.

Of course they can function in a real fight, just not in the same way. Its why it pleases me that the ITF allows Head Punching. It completely changes the way things play out.
That doesnt mean the KKW WTF is inferior though. Just very different.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'll add one more to the list of why people make comments on TKD....because that is what their martial arts instructor told them.

I was a yellow belt in a WTF affiliated school, and my 2 university roommates studied at an ITF school. When I told them I studied at a WTF style school, they told me that I didn't study REAL taekwondo and I just know ineffective sport TKD. "Only ITF TKD is real TKD".

One of them then said, "yeah would you do if I did this" and he rushed me. So instinctively I did a front leg side kick to his face and caught the end of his nose. I was trying not to hit him and pulled my kick a bit...but I got him a little and he was shocked. I sort of smiled and thought "if I don't practice real TKD, then I guess that was not a real sidekick to your face". They never said anything bad to me about "WTF TKD" after that.

Don't judge the art, judge the athlete. I learnt that when a young tai chi master joined our TKD club for a couple classes. He was impressive.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll add one more to the list of why people make comments on TKD....because that is what their martial arts instructor told them.

I was a yellow belt in a WTF affiliated school, and my 2 university roommates studied at an ITF school. When I told them I studied at a WTF style school, they told me that I didn't study REAL taekwondo and I just know ineffective sport TKD. "Only ITF TKD is real TKD".

One of them then said, "yeah would you do if I did this" and he rushed me. So instinctively I did a front leg side kick to his face and caught the end of his nose. I was trying not to hit him and pulled my kick a bit...but I got him a little and he was shocked. I sort of smiled and thought "if I don't practice real TKD, then I guess that was not a real sidekick to your face". They never said anything bad to me about "WTF TKD" after that.

Don't judge the art, judge the athlete. I learnt that when a young tai chi master joined our TKD club for a couple classes. He was impressive.
Prejudices like that tend to be more subsequent of people doing their own Research - Ive never heard anyone in a Dojang even mention KKW TKD, let alone teach their Students bad things about it. I have, however, seen many people who wont know the difference, look it up online, and draw false conclusions.

I will say however, that if he seriously rushed in and allowed himself to get kicked in the face, he needs either more Sparring Practice, or Better Sparring Practice :)

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its not that - People judge it based on the overall fighting style used in Olympic Sparring, which is fair. The kicks themselves work, its the way they use them.

Of course they can function in a real fight, just not in the same way. Its why it pleases me that the ITF allows Head Punching. It completely changes the way things play out.
That doesnt mean the KKW WTF is inferior though. Just very different.

To add to this, almost all traditional martial arts work. That's why they have survived. Many modern martial arts do as well, such as Krav Maga. McDojo styles are exceptions to this, thus the "many," not "all."

If the martial arts sides are judged, yes, KKW WTF works very well. However, if you put a Olympics sports paradigm over it, it loses the martial arts side of it, causing misconceptions towards the art. For example, fencers are sure to be good at real sword fighting, but everyone is sure to laugh at epee style in which you win if you touch the other guy's foot a quarter of a second before he stabs you through the chest or head. Just as fencing should be judged by the core principles behind fencing, which in fact makes fencing very effective without the sports paradigm, martial arts, including TKD should be seen with a similar view. That is to say, one art is not better than another: it is the rule sets that make certain martial arts look bad. I can assure you, Krav Maga will prove more effective [ON AVERAGE, assuming similar abilities of the practitioner] than BJJ in a war zone, but it will not be effective in a UFC ring. [ALSO on average, assuming similar abilities of the atheltes.]

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
To add to this, almost all traditional martial arts work. That's why they have survived. Many modern martial arts do as well, such as Krav Maga. McDojo styles are exceptions to this, thus the "many," not "all."

If the martial arts sides are judged, yes, KKW WTF works very well. However, if you put a Olympics sports paradigm over it, it loses the martial arts side of it, causing misconceptions towards the art. For example, fencers are sure to be good at real sword fighting, but everyone is sure to laugh at epee style in which you win if you touch the other guy's foot a quarter of a second before he stabs you through the chest or head. Just as fencing should be judged by the core principles behind fencing, which in fact makes fencing very effective without the sports paradigm, martial arts, including TKD should be seen with a similar view. That is to say, one art is not better than another: it is the rule sets that make certain martial arts look bad. I can assure you, Krav Maga will prove more effective [ON AVERAGE, assuming similar abilities of the practitioner] than BJJ in a war zone, but it will not be effective in a UFC ring. [ALSO on average, assuming similar abilities of the atheltes.]
To add to that further, just look at Boxing. I often wonder just how many Martial Artists are aware of just how much Grappling can occur in Boxing; Simply because when people think of Boxing, they think of Long Range Punching. Or if you look at Krav Maga, its Sparring, in my opinion, can be slightly silly, unless its broken up into categories (As in, Seperate Sparring for Stand Up and Ground Work, albeit with the same rules on both) (I guess i should elaborate - Every bit of Krav Maga Sparring ive seen, has only briefly exchanged standing up, before someone shoots for a Takedown. That isnt a bad thing, but it can be too predetermined at times. Maybe its different in the Middle East, but in every Western Practice of it ive seen, thats been the case) - But when its broken up between the two, showing them seperately, you can better appreciate it.

So yes - All forms of TKD Work. Unfortunately, the KKW form is stereotyped to hell.

In fact, now ill make a fun observation:

KKW TKD is Generalised as being a Sport, due Entirely to the Person only seeing that Aspect of it, and not reading Past that, which is apparently too much to ask.
ITF TKD is Accused by some of having Wild Arm Flailing instead of Punches, due Entirely to the Person not understanding that it is not Wild Arm Flailing. Its just a different Technique to Boxing, which is apparently unfathomable.
GTF TKD is Stereotyped as being a Small Time Organisation, when in fact, it is relatively Large, due Entirely to the fact that it doesnt have the same Notoriety as the other two.
Any Form Of TKD is Stereotyped as teaching 99% Kicks, and that any kind of Close Combat is absolutely Impossible, because you cant Kick at that range; And also that TKD has no Punches, Palms, Knife/Ridge Hands, Elbows, Knees, Forearms, Shoulders, Grappling, Throws, Takedowns, Clinches, Submissions, and Othersuch; due Entirely by a reverberating effect caused by WTF Sparring being the Stereotype of all TKD.

There are more of those i could come up with, but the bottom line is, People dont Research things, and develop unbased preconceptions. Its quite unfortunate really.
And a bit silly.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To add to that further, just look at Boxing. I often wonder just how many Martial Artists are aware of just how much Grappling can occur in Boxing; Simply because when people think of Boxing, they think of Long Range Punching. Or if you look at Krav Maga, its Sparring, in my opinion, can be slightly silly, unless its broken up into categories (As in, Seperate Sparring for Stand Up and Ground Work, albeit with the same rules on both) (I guess i should elaborate - Every bit of Krav Maga Sparring ive seen, has only briefly exchanged standing up, before someone shoots for a Takedown. That isnt a bad thing, but it can be too predetermined at times. Maybe its different in the Middle East, but in every Western Practice of it ive seen, thats been the case) - But when its broken up between the two, showing them seperately, you can better appreciate it.

So yes - All forms of TKD Work. Unfortunately, the KKW form is stereotyped to hell.

In fact, now ill make a fun observation:

KKW TKD is Generalised as being a Sport, due Entirely to the Person only seeing that Aspect of it, and not reading Past that, which is apparently too much to ask.
ITF TKD is Accused by some of having Wild Arm Flailing instead of Punches, due Entirely to the Person not understanding that it is not Wild Arm Flailing. Its just a different Technique to Boxing, which is apparently unfathomable.
GTF TKD is Stereotyped as being a Small Time Organisation, when in fact, it is relatively Large, due Entirely to the fact that it doesnt have the same Notoriety as the other two.
Any Form Of TKD is Stereotyped as teaching 99% Kicks, and that any kind of Close Combat is absolutely Impossible, because you cant Kick at that range; And also that TKD has no Punches, Palms, Knife/Ridge Hands, Elbows, Knees, Forearms, Shoulders, Grappling, Throws, Takedowns, Clinches, Submissions, and Othersuch; due Entirely by a reverberating effect caused by WTF Sparring being the Stereotype of all TKD.

There are more of those i could come up with, but the bottom line is, People dont Research things, and develop unbased preconceptions. Its quite unfortunate really.
And a bit silly.

A very nice summary. We should literally sticky this particular post just so we can shine some light upon people who have not experienced true TKD first hand.
Btw, would anyone like to tell me what this GTF is? THanks in advance!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
A very nice summary. We should literally sticky this particular post just so we can shine some light upon people who have not experienced true TKD first hand.
Btw, would anyone like to tell me what this GTF is? THanks in advance!
Global Taekwon-Do Federation. And no, im not kidding :D
Their Uniforms and Sparring Form is pretty much the same as the ITF, albeit if im not mistaken, the prefer a more Medium Range with more Kicks, and use a different kind of Sine Wave.

It would be very nice for a post like this to be stickied, and thrust into the faces of the foolish :)

Latest Discussions