Has Anyone Got This Movie?

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals! I ran across this: Gift of the Traditional Martial Arts. And was wondering if anyone had watched it. Would it be worth the cash to get? I've got Shinibo: Winds of the 34 Generations, which I thought was incredible.

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is a movie by Coleman Kyoshi on our grandmaster, Shoto Tanemura sensei, headmaster of the Genbukan. I have no way of knowing whether the movie will be something for you or not, but I can tell you the arts practiced and demonstrated are indeed the real deal. If you are looking for an insight into traditional Japanese martial arts in our modern world, this movie will give you a good indication. If you're looking for a movie to inspire you, it would also be a good choice. If you're looking for ninjer-sensation, I guess the movie might not be what you expect it to be.

Oh, and just to avoid misunderstandings, although you probably already figure it out yourself, it is a documentary, not a motion picture.

Personally I would say: go for it.

Also, it has been discussed before on this forum:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73063

and a review on Brian VanCise's blog
http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/gift-of-traditional-martial-arts/

OP
C

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks very much! And yes I know its a documentary. Certainly no looking for what I'll laughingly refer to as a "mainstream" Ninjer movie.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are various clips floating around on youtube as well.
This is one on Kyoshi Coleman's page, so presumably it is meant to be shared (otherwise I would not post it here).

At the end it features an example of a saki test. To date this is the most impressive example of such a test I have seen, simply because it is the only one I've seen where the person administering the test is actually trying to cut someone in half. and this gives the person taking the test only a very brief window in which to sense the attack and to evade it completely.

[yt]MNGLIOt3NVs[/yt]

Yugen

White Belt
Reaction score
It is a very good movie showing several different aspects of our arts (different weapons, taijutsu, taisabaki) as well as seishinteki kyoyo and the importance of using our skill and knowledge to help other people. The film has a lot of cool footage of Tanemura Soke, as well as other senior members of our school.

I would also recommend Michael Coleman Kyoshi´s (the film's director) book "Warrior Apprenticeship with the Grand Master" which chronicles his training with Tanemura Soke from the mid 80s up until today. The book is available from the Genbukan honbu website.

Happy New Year!
Bard

OP
C

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
THanks! I've got that one as well as fundamental taijutsu and ninpo secrets. Just wish FT was in color...:)

Latest Discussions