Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Geoff Thompson

J

jjmcc

I am reading a book by Geoff Thompson. He is an ex-hard man bouncer. This is the blurb from his book Dead or Alive.

This is not simply a step by step guide to winning fights. It is also an in depth study of the criminal mind at work. Interviews with murderers, repists and muggers reveal why they target certain people for attack, which crimes are opportunistic and which are premeditated.

Geoff Thompson uses these interviews and his own unparalleled knowledge of violent encounters to teach simple precautionary measures and to explain what to do when confronted by an attacker.

Has anyone ever read anything else from Geoff Thompson? or what is your opinion of what you have read. Does the book appeal to you.

OP
S

Shidan

I have read "The art of fighting without fighting" by him

It was good. I paid a lot ($31) for a book that was likely only 100 pages :( I think it actually shipped in from the UK, but I wasn't aware of this when I made the purchase.

I actually prefer Mark MacYoung's stuff.

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
jjmcc said:
I am reading a book by Geoff Thompson. He is an ex-hard man bouncer. This is the blurb from his book Dead or Alive.

This is not simply a step by step guide to winning fights. It is also an in depth study of the criminal mind at work. Interviews with murderers, repists and muggers reveal why they target certain people for attack, which crimes are opportunistic and which are premeditated.

Geoff Thompson uses these interviews and his own unparalleled knowledge of violent encounters to teach simple precautionary measures and to explain what to do when confronted by an attacker.

Has anyone ever read anything else from Geoff Thompson? or what is your opinion of what you have read. Does the book appeal to you.

Yep, he is is kind of like the british version of peyton quinn. He has a website at www.geoffthompson.com. Some where i have pdf of an article he wrote.

peace

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
jjmcc said:

Haven't read any of his books, but I am a member of his forum. There is alot of info about him on his site. He, IMO, definately knows his stuff. He also takes SD to that next level by doing what you stated in your post...researching fights, how people think, etc. All of this is key if you want to take your SD to that next level.

Mike

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He wrote the classic 'Watch my back'. It was about violence, the culture of violence and the loneliness of violence. If he hadn't been born working class I'm sure he'd have been a journalist not a bouncer.

He writes well. His approach seems to deal mostly with ritualistic fighting, and is not as applicable outside that arena. Still, it is both inteligent and practical at the same time.

OP
J

jjmcc

What i mainly like about this book is that he actually gets interviews from the criminals themselfs. Asking them what weeknesses they look for in a victim. Too many books out there try to tell you how to deal with attacks but they forget to mention adrenalin dump which is a rush of adrenalin that anyone human gets before a situation or fight. Its just knowing how to use it to your advantage and also mentions alot about fight or flight.