NHB fighter dies in Dayton Ohio

S

sifu Adams

Soon as I find the artical I will pass it on. but as I watched the news today they talked about NHB fighter died last night after fighting three rounds. they said he took a blow to the head and never recovered. They said after three rounds of fighting and being hit several times in the head his body shut down. Now my question. what do martial arts think about NHB fighting. I don't like it. I think it dose not represent the martial arts at all. I can fight for hours and control every punch and every kick, I know my distance and how far to go in with my opponit. I think these guys lack control and disipline that the martial arts holds and values. I also think that if "we" (martial arts) don't start joining to gether we are in for some tuff times ahead. I think people think NHB fighting is Martial arts and stories like this will lead to goverments sactioning our tournaments. My thoughts. whats yours?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, NHB is a place to prove yourself in your fighting skills, people will die if you get hit in the right place and often. It was his choice to fight? I am sure he knew the risk. Boxing also have many deaths from fighting in the ring. It is the nature of the sport that deaths will occur. It is sad when someone dies.

Money is a powerful force, the risk is always there. Is there another way to do this without getting hurt? ....and this is only for entertainment too?.....Aloha

OP
S

Shidan

Even being able to control a punch or kick isn't always a guarantee that the opponent will be safe. Strange things happen!

It is unfortunate someone died, but it is always a possibility and it is a risk anyone who participates in any contact activity faces. Even baseball can be 'dangerous'. Doesn't mean people shouldn't do it, it is just something that could happen.

My friends dad was killed just last month when he truck spun out on some ice and he rolled his truck. He was pinned inside and couldn't get out. A witness tried to help but couldn't free him and he died. Very sad, but life happens :(

OP
V

Vadim

I have not heard of this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Does anyone have any further information on this?

-Vadim

OP
B

Bill Tai

Er, um, still waiting on the article for confirmation.

Googling for it, but I'll give my $0.02 in the meantime.

Not taking anything away from those who train and make a living on the MMA/NHB circuit, I have to say that so-called NHB fighting is a sport that happens to utilize a particular fraction of what is ideally considered a training excercise (sparing or randori) and re-packaging it for mass consumption and "bloodsport" entertainment.

MMA/NHB doesn't "prove" your mastery of "fighting skills," so much as it is a good gauge of how well you perform under certain set of predetermined conditions. It's you and a single opponent in an enclosed space mutually agreeing upon a set of rules on how you will conduct your particular contest. That being said, some of these guys are pretty damn good at what they do.

Sometimes, you get absolutely beautiful execution of technique (striking combos, grappling, submissions, etc.) that demonstrates a mastery of said technique in a one-on-one situation in a relatively safe environment. Sometimes, you get a couple of dudes flailing at each other until one dude gets tired, drops his guard, and the other dude lands a lucky haymaker.

But in the end, it's a sport, subject to the same risks and rules of all sports. It's a damn shame, but people will get damaged and some might get killed under the wrong set of circumstances.

Me, after spending a greater part of the last decade doing ground-n'-pound and skull-and-knuckle (mostly for the fun of it-- hey, I was young and thought I was indestructable) and being fully aware of its sporty nature, I've got a pair of blown knees, and effed-up-ankle, about 50% hearing loss in my left ear, a couple of surgeries and a bevy of nagging little problems that keeps my doctors in their Porsches and my medical insurance premiums at an uncomfortably high rate.

My condolences to the parties involved if this turns out to be true.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some very good replies here!! If you find that article, please post.

As for my thoughts...Even in the first few events, which were billed as having 'no rules' in fact there were rules, but compared to what there is today, its a big difference. There was a short time when the NHB matches were banned from PPV. They were brought back due to the increased rules, sanctioning from althletic comm. etc. While they are not on the same level as a street fight, they bring the feeling slightly closer seeing that there is more that can be done compared to your point sparring events.

As for the control factor. Keep in mind as I said above that point and NHB are 2 very different animals. The goal of point is just that...to score a point. The goal of NHB is to get that KO, TKO, or submission. Look at boxing. Yes, there is a "point system" so to speak, but 9 times out of 10, those guys are looking for the KO!!!!

Personally, I dont think that you have anything to worry about as far as the govt. sanctioning your tournaments, due to the fact that 1) we are talking about 2 very different fighting events, and 2) there are already more rules in point sparring than you'll ever see in NHB, that will protect the fighters.

Mike

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
We were talking about this a little at training last night. A tragic loss, and from what I've heard, his opponent is also done for good with NHB fighting. I can't say I blame him. Realistically speaking, the stuff everyone here does, be it Kempo, Kali, CMA's, Muay Thai, etc, IS dangerous even in training. You can train all your life, be as tough as nails, and it's all over if you catch an impact, or turn "just right". Just something to think about.

A tragic day. :(

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my instructors was talking about boxing several decades ago, versus boxing today. He was comparing bare-knuckles with gloved, and saying how previously, boxers suffered things like kidney and liver problems, failure or whatever of internal organs. These days, because the hands are protected, there are far more blows to the head, leading to the increase in brain damage, and all the attendant problems that go with it.

It sounds like another very sad example of this type of injury.

And Shidan, I am sorry to hear of your friend's loss as well.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
One of my instructors was talking about boxing several decades ago, versus boxing today. He was comparing bare-knuckles with gloved, and saying how previously, boxers suffered things like kidney and liver problems, failure or whatever of internal organs. These days, because the hands are protected, there are far more blows to the head, leading to the increase in brain damage, and all the attendant problems that go with it.

It sounds like another very sad example of this type of injury.

And Shidan, I am sorry to hear of your friend's loss as well.
Odd...just saw an episode of the History Channel's 'Wild West Tech' last night that stated pretty much the same thing: boxing became more dangerous when gloves were introduced. Their reasoning was that the gloves allowed for easier wide hooking punches to the temples, causing brain damage. Bareknuckled, people tended not to use those punches to alleviate the risk of breaking the hand.

Cthulhu

OP
S

sifu Adams

I found the news reports. Its from channel 2 news in dayton ohio

Former Toughman Issues a Warning to Fighters

Updated 2/2/2005 at 9:43:04

A former Toughman warns future fighters to stay out of the ring. It comes just days after a competitor dies. Steve Schaaf won the Toughman Title six times.

Now, Schaaf is concerned about the safety of the fighters, especially after witnessing Saturday's fight.

He watched Steven Burress take the blows that eventually killed him.

Schaaf said, "There was something wrong from the get go. Within just a few seconds of the fight you could see it, the guy was clumsy, he was out of the balance the whole fight."

A Toughman doctor sent Burress to the hospital where he died from a blood clot on the brain.

The Montgomery County Coroner officially ruled the 27-year old's death an accident.

The possibility that that kind of injury can happen is the reason at least 14 other states have banned The Toughman Competition.

In recent years, Ohio lawmakers legalized it to regulate it.

Toughman officials wouldn't talk to 2News on camera.

But, it appears that more fights are planned.

According to The Toughman Website, competitors will take to the ring this Saturday in Canton.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its a matter of time there too...pay your money take your chances.

OP
T

Turbo

That sounds like a inexperienced ref...

Schaaf said, "There was something wrong from the get go. Within just a few seconds of the fight you could see it, the guy was clumsy, he was out of the balance the whole fight."

What the HELL the Whole Fight?

Dont KNOCK MMA this is a cheapass tough man contest! These things usually dont have anyone working with any real experience which if you ask me is insane but people do it anyway.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
sifu Adams said:

A Toughman doctor sent Burress to the hospital where he died from a blood clot on the brain.

I think that it would be interesting to know the fighters medical history. Its very possible that he could have had a pre-existing history that went undetected.

Like anything, until the entire story is told, we can only go on the little that we do know.

Mike

OP
C

clapping_tiger

First off, NHB fighting is more safe than boxing. In NHB fights once you are knocked senseless the fight is over. In boxing you get up and continue if you reach the 8 count and somewhat have your senses back. However you are still hurt and dazed. The statistic earlier posted about only 1 death in NHB competition is true, and to add to that the guy had a pre-existing condition, he shouldn't even have been fighting. It sounds like this was the case in this fight too. A prime example of this is compare "the Next Great Champ" series with "The Ultimate Fighter". If you were knocked a good one in NGC you were allowed to get up and if you could answer you could go on, in TUF the guy was knocked down and Big John shoved the guy out of the way and the fight was called off.

True that gloves add to how dangerous the sport is, because the gloves are meant to protect your hands, not the object being struck. The penetration and force of the blow is what causes the most damage, not the knuckles. The public sees gloves as protection for the person being hit, and it kind of bothers me that it is seen that way. Fact is that people see blood from a cut and think that is the damage, the brain is in fact what is really being pounded. Having gloves on allows you to hit harder, and more often because it does not cause as much pain, and cushions the bones a little bit making it harder to break them. As a matter of fact there are more KO's now in the UFC and Pride then when gloves were optional. What does that tell you?

Unfortunately if this hits the main media, it will be a step back for NHB fights. There are many people who die each year around the world from boxing, and Muai Thai fights, but boxing is excepted here, and in Thailand Muai Thai is a way of life. It is kind of funny how we hardly ever hear of it happening unless it is a big name fighter who dies.

The referee would be the primary one responsible for letting it go on that long, but the manager/trainer and the fighter themselves are most at blame if he had a condition that they knew of and let him fight.

That's my 2 cents.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Oops, did catch that this was a tough man competition. Most of these not only have inexperienced ref's, but the corner men and usually volunteers who maybe have some boxing or martial arts experience. I have been to some of these, and although they can be entertaining to watch, some of the people stepping in the ring should not be doing it. I have seen some guys get pounded to a pulp. There was one guy I saw in the heavyweight division, who was trained professionally, and was fighting in the toughman circuit before turning pro (I talked to him after the competition because he looked too good if you know what I mean, I wanted to find out his background). I think he told me this was his 4th toughman tournament win, out of 4 entries. I think if I remember right you can win 4 or 5 before you can't enter anymore. He really hurt some of these guys bad. Real bad. Some of the toughman fighters are just egotistical barroom brawlers who beat some people up. Then think they can take on the world. The trained fighters eat these guys for lunch every time.

OP
S

SammyB57

Will people ever learn? NHB is a lot safer than boxing. Also, you'll never really learn to take or give a punch if you never take or give one. Point karate and full-contact fighting are just two different worlds.

Martial Arts were made for combat. They used to be BuJutsu. Now they are Budo. Just because someone's training is centered around learning real combat skills doesn't mean it is a second-rate martial art or anything like that.

And no, the government will never sanction point karate because.... it's not real fighting. It may develop fighting skills, but in the end, it's not full-contact fighting.

NHB may not be street-fighting, but it is full-contact fighting. It too develops fighting skills like point karate, but it is much more efficient.

Because large gloves are not worn, and bouts are shorter than boxing, the brain trauma is significantly less.

Latest Discussions