Has anyone bought this ring?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know what it means, i know what it looks like and i know how it is written. In correct calligraphy it is only 4 (four) bushu. Not five. The middle horizonal stroke and the second vertical are ONE stroke. Obviously you *could* write it in five strokes, but that would not be correct calligraphy.

Clearly you will disagree with me again, and this will go on forever, so for the sake of our fellow forumusers i suggest we don't turn this little discussion in a neverending debate on strokes.

I guess i can at least get you to agree on the fact that my bike is a fourstroke.

Clearly the only thing I will disagree with you about it the accusation that I will disagree with the stroke count a second time based on your assumption that I will do so and of course the mini lecture about forum etiquette was cute but unnecessary as well. Please in the future do not make such judgment calls when you have no basis to do so.

I had to check, which I should have done in the first place and I most certainly would have done this time prior to posting.... and I was mistaken it is 4 and you are correct... I was making one stroke 2.

Please next time to not prejudge me, and make accusations you have no basis for, you do not know me... and next time I will check before I post… thank you.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4402162_more-ways-write-number-5.html

http://www.motionelements.com/stock-animation/49799/chinese-word-5.html

And just cause I am a bit miffed at the monument, without know what your bike is I cannot agree that it is a four stroke, for all I know it could be a 2 stroke

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not trying to nitpick here, but 五 is a four stroke character, not five. The downwards angle is one stroke. Ironically, the character for four (四) is actually a five stroke character. I'm afraid the correlation between stroke count and numeric value only holds if you don't count beyond three.
Yes it written in 4 strokes.

Its easier to remember it as 5 when you see it because it has five lines. To be fair the old way of five was written in 2 strokes 㐅. You can think of 十 ten and ten side ways is 㐅 5.

Some people remember it as 5 because the shape kinda of looks like a five. Other people remember it as five because there is 4 lines(counting 4 strokes) and a space in the middle as five.

When I remember 4 it looks like it makes a box with four sides. For 7七 looks like a backwards 7.
8 does not have 8 strokes so the trick does not always work but in some cases it does.
For the word 门 I remember it looks like a gate.

Whatever helps you remember your hanzi/kanji

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
Clearly the only thing I will disagree with you about it the accusation that I will disagree with the stroke count a second time based on your assumption that I will do so and of course the mini lecture about forum etiquette was cute but unnecessary as well. Please in the future do not make such judgment calls when you have no basis to do so.

whoah. It seems the message got across differently than i intended. I by no means meant to lecture you on forum etiquette, however upon rereading my post I must admit I didn't formulate it all too well. I'm not a native English speaker and while that usually doesn't impair me all too much, it sometimes gets in the way of conveying the correct feeling when posting on a forum. Clearly I got it wrong here. There was an element of assumption (for which I apologise should it have offended you), but what i meant was: "we could go on about this sort of thing for a long time, while actually this thread is about a ring, not strokecounts." By the way, the reason i assumed you would stick to your point was because of the tone in your reply to my first post. to me it came across like you were saying "look at the hanzi you oaf. COUNT the lines". Clearly another case of linguistic misinterpretation on my part. I will watch more carefully where I put my assuming feet down in the future.

The bike is a Suzuki SV1000. It, in fact, is an actual fourstroke.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
whoah. It seems the message got across differently than i intended. I by no means meant to lecture you on forum etiquette, however upon rereading my post I must admit I didn't formulate it all too well. I'm not a native English speaker and while that usually doesn't impair me all too much, it sometimes gets in the way of conveying the correct feeling when posting on a forum. Clearly I got it wrong here. There was an element of assumption (for which I apologise should it have offended you), but what i meant was: "we could go on about this sort of thing for a long time, while actually this thread is about a ring, not strokecounts." By the way, the reason i assumed you would stick to your point was because of the tone in your reply to my first post. to me it came across like you were saying "look at the hanzi you oaf. COUNT the lines". Clearly another case of linguistic misinterpretation on my part. I will watch more carefully where I put my assuming feet down in the future.

The bike is a Suzuki SV1000. It, in fact, is an actual fourstroke.

No worries, sorry about my previous tone and I know nothing of Hanzi. All I know is the Chinese side of things and I have no idea what the Japanese do or how they count.

and, I agree your bike is a four stroke :)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
and I have no idea what the Japanese do or how they count.

If different lines are drawn in the same motion without lifting the brush (or whatever you're writing with) then it counts as 1 stroke, regardless of how many lines were drawn.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never buy any Jewerly online again with out seeing it or trusting the Jewler!

My wife and I bought wedding sets after reviewing alot of online rings and the company was called World Jewlers out of Hollywood CA. We got this impressive warranty and appraisal for more that we paid.

After wearing them my finger became infected so bad I had to have the ring cut off and it took 3 months for the finger to heal.

I contacted the company and they said oh by the way 24 carrot rings are made with a Canadian alloy called Yellow# 24? send them back and we will give you full credit to other rings? two years later we have no other rings or any compensation of any kind.

I have owned alot of rings never had one do that before?

I would want to see the ring or have a good understanding how it was made. Walmart, Fred Meyer Jeweler and other large discount chains are very good about quality and value.

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
If different lines are drawn in the same motion without lifting the brush (or whatever you're writing with) then it counts as 1 stroke, regardless of how many lines were drawn.

that too isn't neccesarily true, since cursive calligraphy tends to not or hardly lift the brush at all. Accents are laid by changes of speed and sometimes pressure (which would count as lifting or pushing, depending on the motion, obviously). Still, that would make it night impossible to index characters, so strokecounts and radicals are used to differentiate and classify. For example, look at hiragana, those are (essentially) cursive calligraphy of kanji. While katakana would resemble a more straight style.

This is one of those rare occasions where wikipedia actually provides a useful illustration:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Hiragana_origin.svg

it shows how hiragana originated from certain kanji, trought cursive calligraphy, using less strokes to write the same. Truely fascinating languages, both Chinese as Japanese (and to a lesser extent: Korean). The way to understanding how both languages link is trough Wenyan and Kanbun, in my oppinion. But modern Japanese (or chinese) is probably more convenient to start studying. My knowledge of classical Korean is too limited to fairly compare, so i won't. What i'm saying is: time has a way of obscuring original meaning and turning one thing into another, like hiragana.

And back on topic:

I fully agree with masterdan. Spending money on a gold ring without actually seeing what you'll get or trying it on is probably not something I would do either. Apart from that, it's hard to maintain plausable denial if the police finds a few unconscious muggers with a negative of the nin kanji imprintend between their eyes. (i'm not a big fan of jewelry or ornaments, but that's just me).

Latest Discussions