Rattan Rings!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was out shopping and went to my local Martial Arts supply shop, looking around at all the weapons, playing with some of them and while I was doing this came across a Ratton Ring which I bought, because I read it is useful int Kung Fu training. And I was wondering if anyone uses them in their training and if there is a proper technique to using them or if you cna offer me info on useful sites or books. Most appreciated!

TOny

R

RHD

Tony said:
I was out shopping and went to my local Martial Arts supply shop, looking around at all the weapons, playing with some of them and while I was doing this came across a Ratton Ring which I bought, because I read it is useful int Kung Fu training. And I was wondering if anyone uses them in their training and if there is a proper technique to using them or if you cna offer me info on useful sites or books. Most appreciated!

TOny

Hi Tony,
I'm pretty sure the rattan ring is a tool used primarily by some Wing Chun practitioners. I beleive it's used to condtion the arms and practice keeping the elbow in tight in front of the body for close range fighting techiques. I'm sure you can find many uses for it though, and it could probably double as a weapon if need be.

Mike

L

Liam_G

Well, this isn't from a traditional CMA perspective, but James Keating uses it to teach trapping techniques, and relates the ring to the Mook Jong: http://www.jamesakeating.com/instructional3.html (scroll down especially to his description of tape 3).

Forgive my intrusion, and I'll head back to the Filipino section now ;)

Respectfully,
Liam

p.s. I'm not trying to sell tapes for anyone. I just respect Mr. Keating's work a great deal, and he does use the ring ...

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
RHD said:
Hi Tony,
I'm pretty sure the rattan ring is a tool used primarily by some Wing Chun practitioners. I beleive it's used to condtion the arms and practice keeping the elbow in tight in front of the body for close range fighting techiques. I'm sure you can find many uses for it though, and it could probably double as a weapon if need be.

Mike
Not 100% correct.

We use them in Black Tiger also ,and yes they can be used as a weapon also.

lan2.jpg

lan1.jpg

jeff:)

R

RHD

Black Tiger Fist said:
Not 100% correct.

We use them in Black Tiger also ,and yes they can be used as a weapon also.

lan2.jpg

lan1.jpg

jeff:)

Ha Ha Ha, What piece of equipment doesn't Black Tiger use? :bow:

Mike

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I read about the rattan ring in one of my magazines and it appears that many Kung Fu systems do use it. I think its mainly for developing speed, power, reflexes, sensitivity. I was using it to do wrist rotations with my arms out stretched and it seemed to make it harder as I has to keep pressure on the rattan ring.