Has anybody seen The Art of Self Defense?

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is a dark, twisted comedy about a nebbish who is attacked on the street by some thugs on motorcycles and seeks to toughen up at a local Karate dojo run by "Sensei", a mysterious Karate teacher played by Alessandro Nivola who is a combination of Sensei Kreese from Karate Kid and Tyler Durden from Fight Club, with maybe just a bit of Master Ken thrown in for a bit of comic relief.. .

If you are a martial arts enthusiast who is looking for a feel good movie about the positive benefits of Martial Arts, you won't like this movie. (and if you are a parent with kids in martial arts, you really won't like this movie).

That said, I still enjoyed it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw a trailer. I looked hilarious. When I can watch it for free I will see the entire movie.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can’t wait to see it. I thought the trailer was terrific.

D

Deleted member 39746

Why does this sound like every martial arts film ever produced or a sub genre of it? :p

Or book for that matter, there are a few books like this.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does this sound like every martial arts film ever produced or a sub genre of it? :p

Or book for that matter, there are a few books like this.
If you look at the trailer, it's quite a bit NOT like most MA movies and books.

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It kind of looked like a rip off of Cobra Kai but not as funny? I enjoy all kinds of MA shows and movies, but I wasn’t feeling this one.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It kind of looked like a rip off of Cobra Kai but not as funny? I enjoy all kinds of MA shows and movies, but I wasn’t feeling this one.

I feel like the comedy is simply that it's subversing martial arts tropes. The problem with subversive comedy, is that just like vulgarity, it needs to be used cleverly. If not, it just comes across as childish.

Now, I haven't seen Art of Defense or Cobra Kai. I have seen a lot of Master Ken's stuff. Some of it is hilarious, but sometimes the jokes just don't land. And the problem is, when "funny" is all you have going for you, then the joke not landing is a huge problem. And in the trailer, a lot of the jokes didn't land for me.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel like the comedy is simply that it's subversing martial arts tropes. The problem with subversive comedy, is that just like vulgarity, it needs to be used cleverly. If not, it just comes across as childish.

Now, I haven't seen Art of Defense or Cobra Kai. I have seen a lot of Master Ken's stuff. Some of it is hilarious, but sometimes the jokes just don't land. And the problem is, when "funny" is all you have going for you, then the joke not landing is a huge problem. And in the trailer, a lot of the jokes didn't land for me.
Agree, but consider the actors in the movie. Right up their alley.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is one I'm looking forward to, though it's not my usual kind of movie. I'm hoping they do well with the subversion, because I can really enjoy that when it's done with some good levels (sometimes subtle, sometimes blunt).

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is not at all like Cobra Kai.

Latest Discussions