Harriet Miers

Yup, looks like she's out. I didn't expect that.

I'd like to see him put forward another non-judge. I still think that that diversity would be a good thing.

My personal opinion is that she should not be confirmed. She is simply a republican tie to the supreme court. The supreme court should stay clear of this kind of thing. Bush is simply nominating people close to him and not looking at a the canidates with equal interest.

Kane, read the article. It explains why you heard she was against abortion...and why she was also judged to allow its practice.

Moot point if she's out, I guess. On the other hand, I suspect post-mortems are going to show the Republicans influenced her withdrawal...probably not the Dems.

I sort of feel bad for her. This has had to be a tough time for her. It probably would have been best had she turned the President down in his offer.

And who will he nominate next?

This just out from Ironictimes.com: The President has used his remaining political capital to buy a stick of gum! Story at eleven.

Regards,

Steve

I think we will, perhaps, never know all of what occurred in the backroom discussions.

Last evening, Ms. Miers spoke with President Bush indicating that she was going to withdraw her name from consideration. This morning, at approximately 8:30 AM, Ms. Miers gave a written note to the President asking for withdrawl of consideration and explaining the reason for the request.

President Bush publically stated that he, with regret, accepted Ms. Miers request.

It would be a safe bet, I think, to assume that there was much more discuss and action behind the scenes.

It would also be a safe bet that the Democrats had no involvment in this event; the spectators seats were comfortable enough.

michaeledward said:
I think we will, perhaps, never know all of what occurred in the backroom discussions.

Last evening, Ms. Miers spoke with President Bush indicating that she was going to withdraw her name from consideration. This morning, at approximately 8:30 AM, Ms. Miers gave a written note to the President asking for withdrawl of consideration and explaining the reason for the request.

President Bush publically stated that he, with regret, accepted Ms. Miers request.

It would be a safe bet, I think, to assume that there was much more discuss and action behind the scenes.

It would also be a safe bet that the Democrats had no involvment in this event; the spectators seats were comfortable enough.
nah, they just had to check with church and get approval...

Latest Discussions

Back