Hardcore martial arts classes

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the OP yes - I attended a school that a one point were offering a more intense class once every two weeks to their students. I think they nicknamed it the “Konditioning Karate Klass” or something dodgy like that.

It not that we did things totally different – it was just more warm-up exercises, more jogging, more drilling techniques done at faster tempo and with less breaks. By default this class wasn’t into teaching new things or reviewing concepts. You did what you already knew – again and again. It was good preparation for their rank tests.

On the plus sides – it designated one class where you knew your uniform would be soaked with sweat at the end. Or it was a class to avoid attending if you were feeling a bit off. This class was also good to go out socializing with fellow students afterwards and replenish body fluids with adult amber-colored drinks.
:)

IMHO these designated classes really only work when the school is a full-time commercial endeavor with blocks of classes to offer. I attended a well-established TKD school chain that within each week’s schedule had: “normal” classes, forms classes, sparring classes, and there was even a stretching techniques designated class.

But if your M.A. instructor only offers you training times twice a week?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have witnessed over the past 24 years, our dojang's level of "hard training" decreasing. The standards of the general student has changed. The dojang is more family oriented, when I started it was mainly all men, and one or two kids and a couple women. Now it is mainly children with a few adults.

Our dojang has adapted to the demand of the general population. People can't go to work everyday with black eyes and cracked ribs (which certainly happened in the 1970's and early 80's in my dojang!!). If we were to operate our dojang like we did in the those days, we wouldn't have any students! Not to mention the liabilty issues today.. .

I wish there was a way to bring those days back without losing the students.. . I do like the idea of having a "traditional" class that is harder, maybe I'll ask our school owner about starting one.

Latest Discussions