hard fist vs soft fist

P

progressivetactics

In the Detroit area, we don't have many chinese stylist schools, but many hard fist schools. At tournaments, rarely does a soft fist or chinese stylist win first, and occasionally will place. Most likely because of the lack of understanding on their forms.

What is your neighborhood like? More soft or hard? Tournaments seem mixed well?

OP
E

Elfan

How do you have a "soft" fiist? Or is that just a name?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see mostly hard fist styls but one group will do sot fist and Win. They are just that good at forms
they are :Bill Gregory's Kajukenpo Pai Lum Federation.

OP
P

Pat

If hard fist equals external style and soft fist equals internal style , then Pai Lum is hard fist. It is an external style, but most of the forms do flow well. This makes it look like a "soft" style.
:drinkbeer

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True I remember Pai never did much softly:D
However many of the forms are done in a softer manner by the above mentioned group
Yes they still teach hard style but some of the tournament interpatation is softer, and verry flowing

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have noticed here in El Paso that Kenpo doesn't fit into either camp. We have this problem at any tournament we go to. In June we had the Sun City internationals and my friend Scott lost his medal. His 1st place award was overturned when protested. The other schools defense was Kenpo isn't a hard style. In an open Tournaments short form 3 has served me well. I had a memorable 2nd place at an open hosted by a local Kung Fu school. It was loaded with every thing imaginable.

don