Hapkido for 2014

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's been pretty quite in the Hapkido section...so what's your 2014 goals?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go back to class.
Relearn everything I forgot over winter break.
Stop "wrestling" during sparring and use proper technique.
Earn a belt higher than white belt.
Have fun.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not been in active training for quite some time. It would not likely be feasible for me to join a school. My goal then is to get back in to stretching, kicking, and going over my techniques to regain some mastery of those techniques.

Thanks for asking.

milewski

White Belt
Reaction score
Training to test for 3r
d Dan, attending the WKF member summit in San Fransisco, and training, training, training....

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just gonna keep on keeping on so to speak. Testing for 2nd Dan this summer. Feel like I am ready now but leaving nothing to chance.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep training, keep reading, keep teaching, and deepen my knowledge. I've been doing more with cane work lately, as well as working from the Muyedobotongji.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep training, keep reading, keep teaching, and deepen my knowledge. I've been doing more with cane work lately, as well as working from the Muyedobotongji.

At one time I thought training with the cane was an odd choice. Now I see that as a very practical, EDC type of improvised defensive weapon. I enjoy training with baton-length weapons and see where a cane could be even more useful in some situations.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the cane... love it! You have to respect a range weapon you can bring on a plane.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At one time I thought training with the cane was an odd choice. Now I see that as a very practical, EDC type of improvised defensive weapon. I enjoy training with baton-length weapons and see where a cane could be even more useful in some situations.
The cane is very prominent in Bartitsu as well, though at the time Bartitsu was put together, it was a regular gentleman's accessory.

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, training. Going over the white to black belt curriculum to further my understanding of the techniques. Work on blocking/striking. Learn Haedong Kumdo.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
My goal is to better internalize all those tactics. I want to move past set-piece strategies and be more fluid, letting the moment dictate the technique.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've been moving around for the last six months, and have moved back to Australia from United States. While martially active I tried Shotokan karate and Wing Chin to a lesser extent.

Since moving home I have found a Hapkido dojang only a few suburbs away which I plan on trying for a few months. After some reading it sounds like a blend of a few martial arts that I find appealing.

So my goal is to get a few months worth in by the end of the year. With the help of some fish oil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've been moving around for the last six months, and have moved back to Australia from United States. While martially active I tried Shotokan karate and Wing Chin to a lesser extent.

Since moving home I have found a Hapkido dojang only a few suburbs away which I plan on trying for a few months. After some reading it sounds like a blend of a few martial arts that I find appealing.

So my goal is to get a few months worth in by the end of the year. With the help of some fish oil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Don't recall the city offhand, IIRC it is on the western end of Australia, a friend of mine (Nigel May) has a Hapkido school and I highly recommend him if you're close or can attend a seminar.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't recall the city offhand, IIRC it is on the western end of Australia, a friend of mine (Nigel May) has a Hapkido school and I highly recommend him if you're close or can attend a seminar.

I live down on the Peninsular in Victoria. So my options while limited, are available with a little travel.

Latest Discussions