Hapki Yu Kwon Sool- The Martial Art of Choi Young Sul

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, I don't know if you've been part of threads where I talk about the size of my TKD school, but the HKD class is a much smaller population. Our active members include (in order from highest to lowest rank in HKD)
  1. 1st dan in TKD
  2. 3rd dan in TKD (me)
  3. 2nd dan in TKD
  4. 3rd/4th dan in TKD (KKW/ATA)
  5. 1st dan in TKD
  6. Green belt in TKD
  7. 3rd dan in TKD
  8. Orange belt in TKD
So...we know how to strike.

Were you intending to answer another poster? I never said anything about HKD not having strikes, and not about TKD not having strikes either. I cannot imagine TKD without strikes and kicks. The Hapkido I learned certainly had strikes and kicks as well.

OP
Jinmukwan

Jinmukwan

White Belt
Reaction score
It makes more sense if they both come from the same place, at least to me.

Although with all that said, we kind of blend TKD and HKD at my school, even though they each have their separate classes. Every once in a while, I'll get to mix them when I spar, and it works really well.

What Choi Young Sul originally taught was Dae Dong Mu Hapki YuKwonSul. It is my understanding that Choi did not have much to do with giving a name to what he taught! This was done by Master Suh Bok Sub his first Korean student. To say Suh combined Dae Dong Mu with Judo makes no sense as Choi defeated every Judo technique easily! I wanted to bring up a point on GM Lim Hyun Soo and his sword method, it was not taught to him by Choi. He learned Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido from several Japanese masters ! Choi did however teach swordsmanship but only after 4th Dan and from my research only a few learned this from Choi. Many masters claim Choi never taught any sword techniques! I believe this to be false.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Deleted

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What Choi Young Sul originally taught was Dae Dong Mu Hapki YuKwonSul. It is my understanding that Choi did not have much to do with giving a name to what he taught! This was done by Master Suh Bok Sub his first Korean student. To say Suh combined Dae Dong Mu with Judo makes no sense as Choi defeated every Judo technique easily! I wanted to bring up a point on GM Lim Hyun Soo and his sword method, it was not taught to him by Choi. He learned Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido from several Japanese masters ! Choi did however teach swordsmanship but only after 4th Dan and from my research only a few learned this from Choi. Many masters claim Choi never taught any sword techniques! I believe this to be false.

I think you are having very specific conversations in very niche circles.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will reply, here is my problem with the claims made by the linage of Hapki yu kwon sool, on the claims this arts co founder and 1st student of Choi's make (not doubting the mans credentials, abilities or training methods, or even the art).
There are contradictions in the story as told by Suh bok sub and his linage, 1st it is claimed he talked Choi into renaming his art Yawara to HYKS, because it sounded too Japanese, and feelings towards the Japanese after the occupation could effect students from coming to study, so a Korean name would be better, so the name was changed, So why then did he talk Choi into using the Japanes Dan grading system, why not rename that, to me it does not make sense.
But I do agree with you, Choi probably did teach sword techniques, as hed would have learnt them in Daito Ryu.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will reply, here is my problem with the claims made by the linage of Hapki yu kwon sool, on the claims this arts co founder and 1st student of Choi's make (not doubting the mans credentials, abilities or training methods, or even the art).
There are contradictions in the story as told by Suh bok sub and his linage, 1st it is claimed he talked Choi into renaming his art Yawara to HYKS, because it sounded too Japanese, and feelings towards the Japanese after the occupation could effect students from coming to study, so a Korean name would be better, so the name was changed, So why then did he talk Choi into using the Japanes Dan grading system, why not rename that, to me it does not make sense.
But I do agree with you, Choi probably did teach sword techniques, as hed would have learnt them in Daito Ryu.

Using a Japanese grading system was probably acceptable as I guess other non-Japanese systems were using. It must have been considered OK for whatever reason as TKD also used it.

I have no certain knowledge if Choi taught swordsmanship, but I also believe he must have. In the Hapkido I learned, we were taught some skills in order to be able to better defend against the sword. Many of the defenses were using the short stick, but there were a few that were unarmed defenses as well.

Latest Discussions