Hanging A Heavy Bag

K

Kirk

I got a 75lb. bag at Academy today (WAAAAY cheaper than I saw
anywhere on the net, and it's an Everlast). I want to hang it
from a beam in my garage. Any suggestions?

OP
D

Daniel

I put a huge bolt through a ceiling beam, and even then the beam swayed and made noise. Its a seriously heavy bag so I got some smaller pieces of 2x4 and cross braced the beam and its been good for years now.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Put some kind of "o" bolt with either a theaded end with a nut or a hooking latch on it. This will help if you ever need to take it down or move it for some reason c or eye bolts just don't hold too well

OP
K

Kirk

What I meant was, I'm afraid of ripping up the trusses in my
house. I don't know if it's even a possibility, with a 75lb bag???

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had the same problem..its not likely, but i just bought the house....

Find the beam you want to hang the bag from, and the one on either side...if i am counting correctly, u should have 3 beams, now :D

Measure the distance between the beams, then drill 9 holes, three on each beam, forming a square, the centre hole being the one you would have hung the bag from if you were to hang it from only one hanger. (if u want, you can cross brace these.)

Hang the bag from the centre hole with a heavy spring, and heavy bungees from the outlying 8 holes to loops around the top of the bag (u may have to modify ur bag a little), or on to the bag hanger-loop itself (although this is less effective).

The bag should now hang evenly between all the bungees, with most of the weight on the top-centre spring...thus spreading the weight (and forces from getting knocked about) across 3 trusses.

It'll take some tweaking to get it right, but i've successfully hung a 55 kilo (120 lb) bag in an apartment using this method, and u couldnt hear it getting wacked from the apartment above.

Cheers

Bao

OP
K

Kirk

Thanks, Baoquan, that's a big help!
:asian:

Latest Discussions