Hand hardening for breaking

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have some tips for hardening up my body for more breaking. I have decided that I would like to compete in lots more breaking. As this is always my favorite part of testing and competitions.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd strongly recommend against it. You're talking about altering your hands, permanently. Let's just say the first two knuckles on both hands, aren't unaffected.

If you have done the research and seriously want to do this, research makiwara as well as the old sand/gravel/rocks in a bowl methods.

Seriously, research it beyond what seems 'ok' before you make your final decision.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would also look into the Chinese methods. I have done iron palm training off and on for the last 10 years and have no lasting negative effects. For me, I like the Chinese methods better than Japanese (that is just me though).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, done properly, your hands and body can be conditioned without doing massive damage. It just takes time... and care. The heavy bag is a great tool. Start with wraps and bag gloves. Over time, reduce the wraps, and shift to regular work gloves solely to protect the skin from tears. Eventually, you can even do away with the bag gloves. I used to work out bare skin on a canvas heavy bag...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am more a fan of the Chinese methods. Quite frankly I follow a method which has some foundation in western Science and some in Easterm Medicine. As with many activities use of a limb will gradualy increase the size and bone density. Tennis players a sone example hav larger racquest arm bones.

Started with a traditional canvas bag filled with steel shot. Do not use lead shot. Dust can kigrate into the aor and thru the skin. You lightly strike the outside of the bag. bag laying on a solid surface with the surfaces you wish to toughen. There should only be minor redness, No apparent residual effects such as sorenessafter each session. If you experience that, then you are hitting to hard. That's the western science part. I couple that with a herbal liniment published By james lacy I think, getting ingredients from a chinese apothocary. Follow the recipe for adding alcahol and aging.

This is put on the surface of your limb before the striking. after about 7-8 years of that I decided to just strike a cinder block, and after 7-8 more years I know strike a smoot iron weight plate.

OP
X

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Iron palm is nice! I broke my first patio block today in my basement. It's crazy how much easier it is to break blocks with iron palm slap rather than punch, hammer, or knifehand.

Latest Discussions