Hair and clothing for martial artists

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now that is a different way of looking at it! Love to see a guy practicing in a business suit, lol.

I was attacked once by an drunk when I was coming out of a club in Fla and I was wearing a suit..No problems as I was never one to go in for skin tight clothing..

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, the flip flop question makes a good point. I do love my Birks though, so cool and comfortable in the hot summer weather. They probably don't protect my feet enough:(

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Long hair isn't necessarily bad for self-defence - if it makes you look more....tough....than it might intimidate others from attacking you. On the other hand it might encourage people to be more agressive.

I suppose it is bearing in mind the threats of your environment in relation to your clothes budget.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always had my hair fairly long and it's never caused a problem in classes or self defence situation. As I said, the only tme I had problem withmy har was in private school, damn nuns!

Besides, hair can make you look scarier to an opponnent or it can throw his rhythm off, some peopel have a hard time targeting a head with a lot of hair flying about when punching.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I will admit that style is not the only reason for my hairstyle( Regulation "High and tight", very short,maybe 1/2 inch flat top on top, sides and back shaved almost to the skin).....But besides the fact there's no question as to whether this style is within military grooming standards( I'm in both the MA State Guard and the Civil Air Patrol), it's easier to maintain, plus there's basically no chance of it ever being grabbed in close combat( the very reason, in fact, that the military, and now, many law enforcement agencies, encourage hairstyles of this type).

I've taken to wearing BDU pants as regular pants just because after wearing them as part of my uniform, i find them more comfortable, useful, and more to the point, far longer lasting than jeans( the ones I wear in civvies, though, are never in a camouflage pattern, always a flat color( olive drab, black, khaki, blue and so on). Loose enough to run/kick, tight enough not to snag on any protrusions if running, pockets to hold all sorts of weaponey/ first-aidey goodness if need be

BDU pants are great, sometimes you get locked at funny or asked "Why do you wear that? You aint in the AR-MEE!" To wich I use the reply Joe Strummer, from the Clash used to give when asked why they always wore some surplus military cloths. "Self Defense" =)

They are great for many reasons.

I try not to wear any pants that are to tight that I cvant grapple in if I had to. My hair is short, but fighting is not the only reason, I sometimes wear boots and they are weapons, as well as the bladed keychain, and several knives I carry.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have to wear a suit everyday for work, I work in a courthouse so that requirement is not likely to change any time soon. I actually prefer this to jeans though because suit pants are actually typically more loose than jeans. My shirt might rip in a fight but if I am attacked I obviously don't care about that. I have always made it a point to spend money on my dress shoes because I have to wear them everyday and they need to be comfortable. I can run in them no problem and the toes are pretty stiff so getting kicked with them would be no joke (they are much harder than tennis shoes). The only thing I worry about is my tie. I have to willingly attach a ready made noose around my neck every day, soI take it off at every opportunity, and keep it as loose as possible when I wear it. As for hair I shave it almost to the skin Just because I like it that way and I don't care what it looks like. After reading this thread though I have a newfound appreciation for the things that ladies who are defense minded have to consider, good luck ladies!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I ...remember reading "somewhere" that short hair is preferred, as hair long enough to get a good hold on can be used against you in a fight. In principle, I agree with that ...Now in practice it's another story for a lot of us, as I have noticed a lot of people practicing martial arts with longer hair (both male and female). In our everyday lives we sometimes dress in a way that would be difficult to fight or run in (bad shoes, or worse, high heels, tight skirts that make running difficult if one is female).

Stylish women's attire can be as much of a self defence asset as a liability if you make a few modifications. If climate permits, train barefoot and toughen your feet. Then if you are wearing high heels you can slip them off and run, or better yet grab them and use them as weapons. A purse can be a hell of a weapon too. And, for long hair, wear a wig so if anyone grabs it, all they get is a distracting wad of hair while you make your move. As far as skirts and dresses go, just cover the entire surface with glued-on roofing nails like a hedgehog...except the part that you sit on ...and try not to let anybody kick your ***!

JoeW

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I haven't changed anything. I usually wear jeans/shorts and a tee with tennis shoes. In the summer I have to wear flip-flops it just gets to hot for me. I also shave my head bald so I am not likely to be grabbed by the hair.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has martial arts changed your hair and clothing to reflect your new awareness of your vulnerability? If so, in what way, and if not...why the heck not???

It hasn't changed my hair or clothing style, but it has made me think about the advantages and disadvantages. My long hair is obviously a potential target. My studded biker jacket limits the movement of my arms slightly, but gives me some protection from slashing knife attacks. As for my steel toed boots; no loss of mobility (that I've noticed), some protection from kicks to my feet, and a little extra wallup with my kicks :)

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now if only they made steel toed high heeled shoes, I'd consider the tradeoff an advantage!

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And, for long hair, wear a wig so if anyone grabs it, all they get is a distracting wad of hair while you make your move. As far as skirts and dresses go, just cover the entire surface with glued-on roofing nails like a hedgehog...except the part that you sit on ...and try not to let anybody kick your ***!

LOL you almost had me going...were you being serious about the wig?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
on neck ties I can tie my own. but if I am going some place I do not know people or think there is any kind of threat level..and for any LEO or similar, I use a clip on tie, and suggest other men do the same if they have a job that might have physical confrontation involved and have to wear a tie, like some security company's have their guards wear.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, I haven't changed my hairstyle or clothing. I do keep my nails shorter in order to not (hopefully not) cut my partners.

As far as hair goes, I'm trying to grow mine down to my waist; it's past my mid-back, depending on the curl pattern. My daughter practices MA and her hair is past her hips (young lady in my avatar). I suppose someone might grab my hair if I were attacked...guess I'd have to elbow them in the solar plexus, groin, do a backfist to their nose, or pinch the inside of their thigh.

I don't live in fear that I will be attacked.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At work we have to wear a shirt with the collar -- that is the rules. So, I have to do that. I tend to dress with tshirts outside of work, though recently I am thinking of getting some nice shirts.

Regarding pants, I prefer blue jeans, though those pants with the extra pockets would be very nice to carry things in. I never worry about being attacked, but I do like comfortable clothes. The shoes I wear slip on the feet -- they have no shoe strings. This makes for "easy on, easy off", very nice, no strings to mess with.

I have short hair for no special reason -- it seems to be in fashion, for both men and women in my city. There is enough hair to grab, though.

When I dress, I am mostly concerned with comfort, though recently, because I now lift weights in a weight lifting gym, I may buy fancy clothing, if I start to look stronger, we shall see.

I do have a belt on now all of the time. I know that there are good techniques with the belt (a leather one), but I know only one, and cannot find resources to learn others.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On another thread it was mentioned that the poster always wore comfortable clothes that he could fight/run in if necessary, because one never knows when that would be needed. In principle, I agree with that.

I also remember reading "somewhere" that short hair is preferred, as hair long enough to get a good hold on can be used against you in a fight. In principle, I agree with that.

Now in practice it's another story for a lot of us, as I have noticed a lot of people practicing martial arts with longer hair (both male and female). In our everyday lives we sometimes dress in a way that would be difficult to fight or run in (bad shoes, or worse, high heels, tight skirts that make running difficult if one is female). Personally, as a woman, I don't think I look good in hair that's shorter than chin length, and that's still long enough for somebody to grab ahold of. But in other ways I have begun to reject more traditional female dress that would put me at a serious disadvantage. It's a hard line to balance but I'd like to be both feminine and tough, so when I shop I ask myself what would I be able to do if I were attacked in this outfit? No more miniskirts for me, but longer and looser skirts are OK. Even so, I can still usually be found in jeans or shorts.

Has martial arts changed your hair and clothing to reflect your new awareness of your vulnerability? If so, in what way, and if not...why the heck not???

One should ask themselves what are their risk levels?

i.e. they work in a safe city with a nice neighborhood and live in a nice place and drive through all nice places. Chances of getting attacked low and therefor their dress may represent this.

If one goes out a lot and or has to deal with the threat of being attack then what one does changes.

As to hair, I like long hair on women, so anything I can do to help them keep it the better for me. :) So, if you pull it up into a bun or pony tail and then put under your jacket your hair is pulled tight and it is harder to grab and use against use.

As to dress this depends upon ones work place and requirements as well environment. If there is a problem talk to your manager they might be able to advise you on alternate or company accepted dress codes.

Has martial arts effected my hair or clothing? Not really. I always liked being comfortable. I also liked to carry things that can be improvised as weapons such as pens in my pocket or even a knife. I do not look good in long hair as is get really curly.