Best self defense flashlight???

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I want to buy a flashlight for defense use in lowlight situations, any suggestions?

I know that the surefire line is well reccomended but they're a little pricey (they used to say "spendy" when I lived in Oregon). Have any of you used a particular brand or model that you would reccomend?

Also, anybody know how many lumens of brightness is usullay considered acceptable for SD use?

Any opinions appreciated...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much anything from Surefire, Streamlight, Pentagon, Inova (and there are others). I'd stick with something that has at least 60 Lumens.

I personally like models with a pocket-clip so you don't have to carry in a belt pouch or struggle with fishing it out of the pocket (though they will still work with a belt pouch).

While I have a couple, If I were going to buy another one right now, it'd be the Surefire E2E. These are very compact, lightweight, and bright (60 Lumens). The E2D (see my sig pic) is fine as well. However, with the crenellated bezel (the teeth), it's going to rip someone up and cause them to bleed all over the place...not really a good thing.
If you want one a little cheaper, look at the Surefire G2. They're just as bright but are of plastic construction instead of aluminium. They also make a model with an LED head instead of a regular bulb.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Pentagon that is excellent!
icon14.gif

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

60 Lumens huh? I was thinking somewhere closer to 100...is say 75 enough to daze or temporarily blind someone?

I was checking out the streamlight line, I'll look at the others you suggested

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
E2D allen. The E2D defender is a mighty good one. If the light does not dazzle them, then ripping their nose off with the end ought to.

I have one and it's a real good choice.

Deaf

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still use Mini-mags and while they aren't the brightest lights out there (anymore) they still make a hellva kubotan.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

60 Lumens huh? I was thinking somewhere closer to 100...is say 75 enough to daze or temporarily blind someone?

I was checking out the streamlight line, I'll look at the others you suggested

What I meant was that 60 Lumens is the minimum I would go for...if you've found something that you like that is brighter, by all means go for it.

It will momentarily blind/disorient them but don't expect that to last for long.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I bought an E2D about a year ago - holds up very well. I've flashed a couple of folks at the dojang and the light is definitley bright enough to freeze them long enough to pop them with a punch/ kick.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to prefer the ol' 4 or 6 D-cell maglights. I mean, if we're talking self defense, I'd prefer more of a wallop. The new LED's are cute though.
I agree. Nothing like a flashlight that doubles as a club.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought one of those $50 ten pound flashlights from Costco a couple of years ago, I don't remember the candle power, but, I remember being able to feel the heat on the back of my neck from 20 feet. I can't imagine taking something that bright to the eyes in darkness... I would assume that would give you time to take at least 3 or 4 good whacks at your attacker...

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great topic!

As it just so happens, I caught an episode of the National Geographic Fight Science series on self defense recently. They had an interesting little blurb on defense flashlights. They claimed it wasn't just the momentary stunning effect of a bright light, but that there is an aura/haze effect which lingers to obscure effective vision as well, helping you to avoid the attacker, or execute a more "lasting" self defense technique.

I keep a MagLight at my bedside, but it's hardly suitable for everyday carry. I've put one of the E2D LED lights on my wish list now. :)

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I do have two big mag lites, but the problem is how do I carry those honkin' things with me when I'm out with my wife at night? I need somethin' smaller than that.

I think I have settled on the surefire 6p defender. It's not the smallest one out there, but it's small enough for me. I like the crenellated case, nice bludgeon if needed, and I like the fact that you have the option to switch to a super high output bulb if you want. At 80 bones I'll admit it's a little more than I wanted to spend, but I guess that's about how these things go huh?

Thanks for the info and suggestions...

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
E2D allen. The E2D defender is a mighty good one. If the light does not dazzle them, then ripping their nose off with the end ought to.

I have one and it's a real good choice.

Deaf

Thanks again for the advice guys, I actually ended up buying the E2D defender LED model. It was more than I wanted to spend (about $130 retail) but I figured it was worth it to get what I really wanted.

I like it because the LED has two output levels, 5 and 120 lumens, it is also really compact and has a pocket clip. And the crenellated bezel and tailcap for up close situations. (holy @$&*% is this thing bright)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with Surefire. I also recommend you take a look at the Nighops Gladius, it has several settings and has a strobbing option which is disorienting when shined in the eyes.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/16/sesent/00
http://night-ops.com/

Also, if self-defense is your primary purpose, and the light needs to be more than just a light......you might check out the full-sized Tiger Light and the pocket size Tiger Light T-100. http://www.tigerlight.net/

You have the benefit of a bright light AND OC Spray. I also believe that the T-100 is adjustable to 100 lumens and has a strobbing option similar to the Glabius.

I have a full-sized Tiger Light I carry on duty. You can't beat it. You can go from 250-lumens flashlight to OC spray with the flick of a wrist.

You can get the full-sized rechargeable for about $100.00 and the small one for about $90.00. I actually think i'm going to pick up one of the small ones for my wife.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to prefer the ol' 4 or 6 D-cell maglights. I mean, if we're talking self defense, I'd prefer more of a wallop

Yep, I still carry one in my cruiser bag at all tmes..

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always liked the mini-mags for portability and also they have a nice angled cap on one end , which is great for striking.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought one of those $50 ten pound flashlights from Costco a couple of years ago, I don't remember the candle power, but, I remember being able to feel the heat on the back of my neck from 20 feet. I can't imagine taking something that bright to the eyes in darkness... I would assume that would give you time to take at least 3 or 4 good whacks at your attacker...

Yeah, my parents have on of those . . . my Dad thought it would be funny to break it out during a night paintball game we were having at his house. It was like the eye of Sauron. Somebody would shoot, or make noise, and this thing would focus on you, giving away your position, and stunning you long enough to get plastered! Then it would take you like 5 minutes before you could see again . . . If you were slick, you could get between your opponent and the light, then make some noise - he'd get blinded, and you had him at your mercy!

I don't think those come with a belt clip, though?

Latest Discussions