Guess I should do this.....

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
What's up everyone! Finally joined the site, I've lurked around here a while. I waste a fair amount of time on other martial arts forums so this will add to it.

I'm a filipino martial arts practitioner out of Orlando fl, I'm always down to train. Been in martial arts for 10 years started at age 20. I've tried a lot of different systems and sampled a few filipino systems. I prefer alive training that involves reacting and resisting opponents. In real life people will react and resist your defense, why train any other way? Some times I might come off as a little opinionated, I've spent a lot of time researching and developing my thoughts, but I'm always willing to consider other points of view.

I think there are some fallacies that are common among the martial arts community. Maybe I'm just a self riteous hipster but I hate hearing the same quotes and thoughts parroted without anything new added. "Be like water" yes, we've all heard it, now go train and make it happen. I've had out of shape stiff as a board guys tell this to me like its some profound thought that they made up. Another common fallacy? "It's the practitioner not the art" the statement has some truth to it but it's also just a nice friendly saying too avoid stepping on toes. The art often makes the individual, you have to look at the population of students and teachers within a system on average. This is what someone who wants to learn a style can expect from their training. Do you think you can go to a mcdojo that doesn't emphasize technique and become a skilled fighter? But "it's the individual not the system" right? There are systems that are entirely mcdojos, you can join one of these schools and improve no doubt, you can train hard and become the best in the school or system but if you are surrounded by a majority of un athletic peers you are an outlier and your time would be better spent training with like minded practitioners that can push you to reach your full potential.

Well, that's my diatribe. Keep an open mind question everything, think for yourself.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First welcome to the forum. I'll be looking forward to your thought on various threads as time goes by.
And yes, your statements in your OP are correct to a point because a nonathletic student can also join the best of systems and not be able to do anything as well as an athletic one joining a no nothing school and being the best

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's up everyone! Finally joined the site, I've lurked around here a while. I waste a fair amount of time on other martial arts forums so this will add to it.

I'm a filipino martial arts practitioner out of Orlando fl, I'm always down to train. Been in martial arts for 10 years started at age 20. I've tried a lot of different systems and sampled a few filipino systems. I prefer alive training that involves reacting and resisting opponents. In real life people will react and resist your defense, why train any other way? Some times I might come off as a little opinionated, I've spent a lot of time researching and developing my thoughts, but I'm always willing to consider other points of view.

I think there are some fallacies that are common among the martial arts community. Maybe I'm just a self riteous hipster but I hate hearing the same quotes and thoughts parroted without anything new added. "Be like water" yes, we've all heard it, now go train and make it happen. I've had out of shape stiff as a board guys tell this to me like its some profound thought that they made up. Another common fallacy? "It's the practitioner not the art" the statement has some truth to it but it's also just a nice friendly saying too avoid stepping on toes. The art often makes the individual, you have to look at the population of students and teachers within a system on average. This is what someone who wants to learn a style can expect from their training. Do you think you can go to a mcdojo that doesn't emphasize technique and become a skilled fighter? But "it's the individual not the system" right? There are systems that are entirely mcdojos, you can join one of these schools and improve no doubt, you can train hard and become the best in the school or system but if you are surrounded by a majority of un athletic peers you are an outlier and your time would be better spent training with like minded practitioners that can push you to reach your full potential.

Well, that's my diatribe. Keep an open mind question everything, think for yourself.

You sound like you've got quite a background. So what other martial arts boards have you been to?

OP
M

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys!

First welcome to the forum. I'll be looking forward to your thought on various threads as time goes by.
And yes, your statements in your OP are correct to a point because a nonathletic student can also join the best of systems and not be able to do anything as well as an athletic one joining a no nothing school and being the best

you make a fair point, there are always lazy guys who can wreck the curve. But I also think arts that have a high level of quality control filter out the unmotivated. Look at the average boxer or kick boxer and look at the average family karate school practitioner, both will have good and lesser students but as a whole the boxers and kick boxers will have more athletic students who are better prepared to apply their skill to reality. These examples are polar opposites and some might say I'm comparing apples to oranges, I won't even address the sport vs street mess of a debate. My point is that the average family karate school practitioner is less prepared for the reality of combat than the average boxer/kb-er. Thus on the whole boxing and kb would be a better choice if your goal is to develope skills that are applicable to reality. I used generic examples there are certainly karate schools that produce capable fighters at a rate comparable to my boxing or kb for example, I'd cite kyokushin as one solid example. Just trying to share my reasoning that the individual is not as important as many people think, although it certainly is a factor as tshadowchaser pointed out.

OP
M

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
You sound like you've got quite a background. So what other martial arts boards have you been to?

Most of the others, all the FMA boards that I've found; fmatalk, myfma, fmaforum, bullshido, map, sherdog.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to mt. I think you are right in your thinking but you are also falling into the common trap of the question and in doing so you are wrong. I have said for a long time now that ma are not created equal. This is affirming your point. But the reality is that students don't always stay with one art. If someone who is looking for real self defense starts at a Mc dojo they will eventually move on to something that meets their needs. The end result is that it is the student that defines their own abilities. When someone makes the statement that it is the art they are neglecting the concept of free will. Individual aptitude is what makes a student.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, bro.

IMO, it's the practitioner, not the art. First, last and always.

OP
M

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to mt. I think you are right in your thinking but you are also falling into the common trap of the question and in doing so you are wrong. I have said for a long time know that ma are not created equal. This is affirming your point. But the reality is that students don't always stay with one art. If someone who is looking for real self defense starts at a Mc dojo they will eventually move on to something that meets their needs. The end result is that it is the student that defines their own abilities.
true, students often don't stay with one art, and a mcdojo may be a students entry into a long life of training. But the student leaves the mcdojo for a more serious school, thus the more serious school is not equal to the less serious school in building fighters. The style and training methods of the more serious school are better at producing a skilled fighter, thus the style makes the student better. Obviously the student must take advantage of the better quality training to reach his or her full potential. a dedicated student could remain at the mcdojo and become the big fish, this does happen and these guys never reach their full potential. The individual will always be a factor but if a guy asks me what style he should take to become the best: puncher, kicker, grappler, or whatever there are systems that on average consistently produce competent fighters. I wouldn't tell him "pick any school because it doesn't matter" and "the practitioner is more important than the style".

Welcome to the forum, bro.

IMO, it's the practitioner, not the art. First, last and always.
I've heard what you say repeated countless times by the same guys who post warrior memes and quote Bruce lee all day. You've given no explanation for your thought, so I'll agree to disagree.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome. I've enjoyed several of your posts already.
:asian:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard what you say repeated countless times by the same guys who post warrior memes and quote Bruce lee all day. You've given no explanation for your thought, so I'll agree to disagree.

In your school, are all the higher ranks equally talented? Or the mid range guys, or even the beginners? Do any have more determination, stubbornness or grit than others?
There's usually a food chain amongst fighters in any dojo, gym, arena, street or what have you. And every fighter there knows what that chain is. Sure, it changes at times, because individuals make it change through hard work and sometimes, sheer will.

Are you a good Martial Artist, a good fighter? Have you worked your *** off to get that way? Do you think if circumstances had been different and your particular dojo never opened where it did, and you had ended up taking a different Martial Art, would that have stopped you from from clawing your way to where you are now?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Mephisto, where do I know that handle from?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

Mephisto said:
I've heard what you say repeated countless times by the same guys who post warrior memes and quote Bruce lee all day. You've given no explanation for your thought, so I'll agree to disagree.​

Yeah scandalous. There should be way more Jet Li.