Groin kicks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, sorry, i'm german.

No worries, it just makes for some interesting sentences. sometimes you say things that change the entire meaning of a sentence! For example to Americans a prophylactic is a condom.............. ( I'm not sure why actually :)) in the UK it's a preventative medicine.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When women tell me they know the best thing for defense against a man is a groin kick, I tell them that can indeed hurt or even injure a man. But that it doesn't take too much movement of the forward leg to cover the family jewels. Then you have an even angrier attacker, because you have just attacked the essence of his manhood, and depending on the reason for the attack, perhaps his primary weapon.

I always tell them to try for the knee. As mentioned above, if your attacker can't stand up, he can't run after you, nor even fight. If your attacker is closer, a strike up under the chin with the palm, then laying the hand over the face, should put your fingers at or slightly above the attacker's eyes. I then tell them to see how much of the attackers eye matter they can collect under their fingernails.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No worries, it just makes for some interesting sentences. sometimes you say things that change the entire meaning of a sentence! For example to Americans a prophylactic is a condom.............. ( I'm not sure why actually :)) in the UK it's a preventative medicine.

In the US (and probably the English language everywhere), prophylactic means preventative. I haven't heard condoms being referred to as prophylactics in quite some time, not that no one doesn't any more. I think that was more my father's generation and earlier (I'm 39). I'm sure if I told a college aged guy to make sure he uses a prophylactic, he'll be confused (but would probably figure it out in the right context).

Now back to our regularly scheduled ranting...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a while ago I remember a gentile chap asking an Orthodox friend of mine about the prophylactics that he put on to pray...... not laughing was hard as we explained they are phylacteries though we call them Tefillin. It conjured up some interesting thoughts.
I'm obviously older than you lol and remember Americans using the phrase a lot when they came to visit our RAF camps lol. And the rest I'll leave to your imagination :D:D:D:D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quite a while ago I remember a gentile chap asking an Orthodox friend of mine about the prophylactics that he put on to pray...... not laughing was hard as we explained they are phylacteries though we call them Tefillin. It conjured up some interesting thoughts.
I'm obviously older than you lol and remember Americans using the phrase a lot when they came to visit our RAF camps lol. And the rest I'll leave to your imagination :D:D:D:D

I knew a friend whose father had a ranch/farm in Texas. One day they were all returning to the house for the evening. His brother was standing with several Mexican workers in the back of a truck. The day was over and all were happy and laughing with each other. The brother suddenly saw the truck was going to pass under a tree with low branches, and that he had only moments to warn his co-workers. He spoke Spanish well, but in the excitement of the moment, he yelled out duck in Spanish. After they passed the tree, the workers were holding their heads, looking around and asking, "Where are the patos? I don't see no patos."

In Spanish, pato means the bird we call a duck.

Tez3, you story is really funny. Thanks, I enjoyed it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the US (and probably the English language everywhere), prophylactic means preventative. I haven't heard condoms being referred to as prophylactics in quite some time, not that no one doesn't any more. I think that was more my father's generation and earlier (I'm 39). I'm sure if I told a college aged guy to make sure he uses a prophylactic, he'll be confused (but would probably figure it out in the right context).

Now back to our regularly scheduled ranting...

At age 55, I had no trouble understanding either meaning of the word. Perhaps it is not age, but education, which has caused the word to fall out of use.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you can hit what you want without getting hit in return you are more likley to win fights.

That is the trick. Not the groin shot itself.

Th0mas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Groin kicks are not the high probability targets you would think. I have very painful personal experience of this..

You can take a power shot to the groin and still be effective for a short time afterwards... Then after the excitement curl up and enjoy your own private hell at your lesure.

If you want a high probability on-off switch moment then go for the jaw region everytime. Of course the groin kick might be a good destraction to enable an opening to the jaw, but by itself, in the adrenaline heat of combat it is unlikely going to stop someone before they have had a chance to retaliate.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The groin is just easy to access since most people don't protect the groin or even know how to protect the groin. You can read tons of articles of women being able to escape an attacker because they kick him in the groin. Between landing a groin kick and a kidney punch, landing the groin kick is the most likely possibility for the average person. We always talk about the groin, but it's hitting the testicles that matters.

D

Dylan9d

I've heard once that when someone is pumped up with adrenaline in a fight, that the pain from a groinkick only kicks in after the fight?........from hear say.......so don't know if that's true at all.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard once that when someone is pumped up with adrenaline in a fight, that the pain from a groinkick only kicks in after the fight?........from hear say.......so don't know if that's true at all.....

We could arrange for you to find out for yourself? In the name of research? :D:D:D:D

Seriously though, I can't speak for that particular pain but yes on the whole adrenaline does mask most pain while you are fighting, it probably depends on your pain threshold anyway and how well you can control pain or at least manage not to show you are in pain.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

As with pretty much every strike, there are way too many variables for these sweeping generalizations to really be worth paying much attention to.
A kick to the groin can do anything from break bones and require surgery to repair to just piss people off.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At age 55, I had no trouble understanding either meaning of the word. Perhaps it is not age, but education, which has caused the word to fall out of use.

I don't think it's education, or a lack thereof if that's what you mean. Working in education for the last 15 years or so (college, high school and middle school), I think they've gotten smarter. But I also think they're less articulate.

This generation isn't dumber than previous ones. They're just smart about different things. There were things I learned that my parents didn't, and vice versa. As the Talking Heads said... Same as it ever was.

I do however think that common sense has become far less common.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sparring, i.e. sporting? Or, by contrast, are you defending yourself from serious injury?

Every male on the planet in my opinion has been training to avoid being struck in the groin from the day his goods dropped. However, some folks have never, prior to being involved in a sport of some kind, ever been struck in the solar plexus, or throat. Also, since children we protect our eyes instinctively (we actually use that reflex against people all the time in MA, don't we).

In my opinion, if you know what to hit, how, pretty much everything on the body has a way to debilitate it, and perhaps the person, in one strike or motion. Knee kick, folds leg back, fight over. Get a quick grip on opponent's arm when they are overextending, or you compel that, broken arm and thus the opponent in a much worse position. Shoot, basic Thai leg kick to the inner-outer quad on someone who doesn't have any experience ends fights, I can attest tot hat personally.

Thing is, going for certain of those targets raises the violence level, legally, so you had better be in a position to defend your action to the authorities when they come around to talk to you later.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. You either have the right to defend yourself or you do not (non deadly force in this instance). That whole black belt registered hands thing is hooey.

Latest Discussions