How did Ronda Rousey lose?

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bad team coach, for one. I personally think Judo is at the top, but perhaps she didn't...and why in the world would a Bronze medal Olympic Winner pick UFC? No logical answer. Teaching Judo, yes. Olympic winner, yes. Starting a school, yes. Teaching young kids, yes. So why the UFC?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
She lost because she got punched in the face. She has grappling history. Needs to polish up on boxing skills but I guess she already is aware of that. UFC used have lots of ground work. Sometimes its good to lose. You learn a lot. And at least if you lose in UFC you still get paid a lot.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How did she lose? Got slammed by a back leg round kick behind the ear thrown by a world boxing and kick boxing champion. It happens.

As to the "whys"..... are we to question the motivations of a young woman, an Olympic medallist, a world fighting champion, an iconic figure of the time who has become one of the most recognizable women in sports history, who has earned millions by repeatedly putting her butt on the line - and spent more hard hours and years on the mat than any of us ever will?

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did she lose? Got slammed by a back leg round kick behind the ear thrown by a world boxing and kick boxing champion. It happens.

As to the "whys"..... QUOTE]

Dammit! I was just coming on to write that! :D

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

This thread has been reopened, after various disruptive posts were removed.

Please refrain from such behavior. Further incidents will be given warning points, which will lead to the banning of your account.

Last edited:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In short, she tried to out-box a boxer. Something Conner should think about. JMHO, as always.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad team coach, for one. I personally think Judo is at the top, but perhaps she didn't...and why in the world would a Bronze medal Olympic Winner pick UFC? No logical answer. Teaching Judo, yes. Olympic winner, yes. Starting a school, yes. Teaching young kids, yes. So why the UFC?

Why not the UFC? She presumably had an interest in MMA, fancied having a go as she thought she could be proficient, trained and was signed by the UFC. Why shouldn't she? I expect the money had a lot to do with it and again why not?
Not everyone wants to teach 'young kids', some people who are really good at a sport are bad coaches or they don't want to coach. I don't see why we should second guess what sports people choose to do, it's no skin off our nose.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, she lost. She's still amazing. She's still a former UFC champ, which none of us here are. She's been the poster child for women's MMA, and good for her. I'm a fan.

Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so love women's MMA, any women's MMA. I especially like the UFC's divisions. Looks like some very interesting contests coming up.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
She got kicked in the face and for the last 10 minutes was beaten to a pulp because she has the striking level of a 3 year old and a coach who tells off his fighters for throwing kicks (read rouseys book she confirms it)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She got kicked in the face and for the last 10 minutes was beaten to a pulp because she has the striking level of a 3 year old and a coach who tells off his fighters for throwing kicks (read rouseys book she confirms it)

I can see that might be a bit of a problem.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I think her coach telling her NOT to throw kicks might the only sensible thing he's ever told her.

(Because she doesn't know how to kick, that's why.)

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think her coach telling her NOT to throw kicks might the only sensible thing he's ever told her.

(Because she doesn't know how to kick, that's why.)
Yep because her coach doesn't know how to throw a kick

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If she didn't agree with her coach's strategy, she could and should have found another coach. This isn't a team sport where the general manager hires the coach and the players have to play for that coach regardless of whether they agree with the coaching methods or not.

She's the team owner, GM, and everything else. The decisions start and stop with her, and no one else. If it's genuinely a case of her coaching, she can only blame herself for hiring and follow her coach.

Coach: "Don't kick. Don't ever kick. You don't know how to."
Rousey: "Can you teach me."
Coach: "No."
Rousey: "Why not?"
Coach: "Because I said so."
Rousey: "Ok."

A quarterback can blame the coaching staff for implementing a system that has inherent weaknesses; he has no say over who coaches. Rousey can't make the same argument.

Latest Discussions