Great Aikido video

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, the fact that it says Rokas was almost enough for me to not watch it.

At any rate, I don’t know if that was aikido or not. It was joint locking 101, something common to many systems. Was that guy an aikido guy? Is that the context of his training?

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, the fact that it says Rokas was almost enough for me to not watch it.

At any rate, I don’t know if that was aikido or not. It was joint locking 101, something common to many systems. Was that guy an aikido guy? Is that the context of his training?
Huh, it’s Dan the Wolfman

yup...it’s in many systems but Dan the Wolfman trains in abs has trained Aikido, JKD, 52 Blocks, Systema, MMA, DBMA, Muay Thai, Wrestling

but every art has different nuanced differences

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

yup...it’s in many systems but Dan the Wolfman trains in abs has trained Aikido, JKD, 52 Blocks, Systema, MMA, DBMA, Muay Thai, Wrestling

Ok, I guess I don’t know who Dan the Wolfman is. Was he doing the joint locks from his aikido background, or was this presented more from how he trained in something else? This is kinda academic and maybe it doesn’t matter in the end. But would he claim it was aikido or something else? Or does he not feel the distinction matters? Maybe he said something in the video, I don’t remember…

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Help me out here... What makes his version any different to the wrist locks shown in Japanese Jujitsu, Aikido, Karate and all the rest? What makes his more functional than the others?

Besides his batman shirt... ;)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan the Wolfman is not Rokas, if by Rokas you mean this dude.

The Batman shirt though, does seem to be a common denominator. And the man bun.

1650642910295.png

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

There's nothing sadder than a club bouncer with no fighting record. It's all stories about guys pointing the finger! And then the Seagal maneuver.

Dan fits that bill well, which is why he pumps Youtube with videos about aikido vs MMA, and guns.

Oh wait, is this the same guy? Dan. "Neo Blood Tournament"?

Well then the only thing worse than no record, is a losing one where you end up leaving competition to make Youtube videos like this.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I don’t know who Dan the Wolfman is. Was he doing the joint locks from his aikido background, or was this presented more from how he trained in something else? This is kinda academic and maybe it doesn’t matter in the end. But would he claim it was aikido or something else? Or does he not feel the distinction matters? Maybe he said something in the video, I don’t remember…
It does matter...every art should be praised for its differences and what it has to offer

hes an Ex Mma Fighter, stunt man, body guard

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Help me out here... What makes his version any different to the wrist locks shown in Japanese Jujitsu, Aikido, Karate and all the rest? What makes his more functional than the others?

what’s your point? Does it look less functional? Are you an expert in these arts

if you are can you tell me the differences? I mean I’m sure he’d know as he trained with Gokor

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's nothing sadder than a club bouncer with no fighting record. It's all stories about guys pointing the finger! And then the Seagal maneuver.

Dan fits that bill well, which is why he pumps Youtube with videos about aikido vs MMA, and guns.

Well then the only thing worse than no record, is a losing one where you end up leaving competition to make Youtube videos like this.

Funny, he does have a fighting record...lol

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Yeah...no record? He has a record in mma and he does have various rankings in several martial arts

come on man, grow up

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah...no record? He has a record in mma and he does have various rankings in several martial arts

come on man, grow up
I came for a "Great Aikido video", and got a compliant demo and a lot of bouncer speak. Sorry, I think bouncers are pretty poor excuses for martial arts masters 99% of the time. So as I went through his videos, I got nothing but annoyed. He got a BJJ black belt after 20 years? Grats, I guess.

I didn't know anything about this guy until about an hour or two ago. His record didn't impress me at all, even after I found it, largely because of the junky quality of his videos.

He's been called "the Jason Blaha" of grappling. I agree. Nothing to see here regarding the art of Aikido, really. You could have replaced him with Steven Seagal (or Jason Blaha) and the video would been of the same overall value.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
what’s your point? Does it look less functional? Are you an expert in these arts

if you are can you tell me the differences? I mean I’m sure he’d know as he trained with Gokor
Well... as long as you asked... there are a few things he could learn from TMA about that lock.

1. He never gets offline. He stands right in front of the guy while he is trying to grab the hand, and then transition to two on one for the lock. Fortunately, this is a static demo, and the other guy is not busy punching him in the face.

2. He does not enter in. He stays at the same range as when he started. Meaning the other guy can still continue to attack with his other three limbs. This is especially a problem, since he stayed on the centerline. The other problem with not entering in, is that most people pull back when you grab at them. That grab is actually pretty tough to get in a live, dynamic, fully resisting type of situation. Which means he can pull back and attack again... at the guy still on the centerline.

3. He does not take the other guys balance, before applying the lock. If you don't have their balance, they will either over power the lock or move their feet to release the lock.

4. He never breaks the other guys structure, before applying the lock. Again, the other guy will over power the lock, use his feet to move and release the lock... or use his other hand to punch with.... after all, he still has his balance and structure and the guy is still right on the center line.

5. He wraps his fingers around and into the wrist. Thats the wrist he is trying to attack. Wrapping your hand around the joint you are attacking is actually helping the other guy by supporting the joint... like a brace.

6. He does the entire lock with his upper body arm strength, not with his core. He will be able to apply this to all the people he is bigger and stronger than and to none of the people who are stronger than him... or smart enough to move their feet.

7. As he completes the take down, he gives up his own balance and structure by leaning over. This makes it much easier for him to be pulled down or counter thrown. And as long as he brought up being situationally aware... bending over like he does, makes it much harder to see whats going on around you.

If you need more, I can certainly keep adding to this list....

At the end of the day... he is doing the same type of static demo that most TMA folks do... only he is not demonstrating the most important points that should be over emphasized in such a demo. To be fair... most TMA folks are guilty of this as well. Which is why I was asking what made his demo or version any better...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Dan is big guy

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is a very vanilla wrist lock. Where for example here is paul cale. (Another big guy) who has at least set up his wristie with a bunch of positional dominance.

Which is I think the key to wrist lock functionality.

Especially if you ever want to train it on a partner twice.

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I came for a "Great Aikido video", and got a compliant demo and a lot of bouncer speak. Sorry, I think bouncers are pretty poor excuses for martial arts masters 99% of the time. So as I went through his videos, I got nothing but annoyed. He got a BJJ black belt after 20 years? Grats, I guess.

I didn't know anything about this guy until about an hour or two ago. His record didn't impress me at all, even after I found it, largely because of the junky quality of his videos.

He's been called "the Jason Blaha" of grappling. I agree. Nothing to see here regarding the art of Aikido, really. You could have replaced him with Steven Seagal (or Jason Blaha) and the video would been of the same overall value.

Huh he was in n off so yes what’s your point, can you tell me what’s wrong with his technique

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well... as long as you asked... there are a few things he could learn from TMA about that lock.

1. He never gets offline. He stands right in front of the guy while he is trying to grab the hand, and then transition to two on one for the lock. Fortunately, this is a static demo, and the other guy is not busy punching him in the face.

2. He does not enter in. He stays at the same range as when he started. Meaning the other guy can still continue to attack with his other three limbs. This is especially a problem, since he stayed on the centerline. The other problem with not entering in, is that most people pull back when you grab at them. That grab is actually pretty tough to get in a live, dynamic, fully resisting type of situation. Which means he can pull back and attack again... at the guy still on the centerline.

3. He does not take the other guys balance, before applying the lock. If you don't have their balance, they will either over power the lock or move their feet to release the lock.

4. He never breaks the other guys structure, before applying the lock. Again, the other guy will over power the lock, use his feet to move and release the lock... or use his other hand to punch with.... after all, he still has his balance and structure and the guy is still right on the center line.

5. He wraps his fingers around and into the wrist. Thats the wrist he is trying to attack. Wrapping your hand around the joint you are attacking is actually helping the other guy by supporting the joint... like a brace.

6. He does the entire lock with his upper body arm strength, not with his core. He will be able to apply this to all the people he is bigger and stronger than and to none of the people who are stronger than him... or smart enough to move their feet.

7. As he completes the take down, he gives up his own balance and structure by leaning over. This makes it much easier for him to be pulled down or counter thrown. And as long as he brought up being situationally aware... bending over like he does, makes it much harder to see whats going on around you.

If you need more, I can certainly keep adding to this list....

At the end of the day... he is doing the same type of static demo that most TMA folks do... only he is not demonstrating the most important points that should be over emphasized in such a demo. To be fair... most TMA folks are guilty of this as well. Which is why I was asking what made his demo or version any better...
I mean I’m not an expert you can face book him n ask

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is a very vanilla wrist lock. Where for example here is paul cale. (Another big guy) who has at least set up his wristie with a bunch of positional dominance.

Which is I think the key to wrist lock functionality.

Especially if you ever want to train it on a partner twice.
Thank you very cool

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean I’m not an expert you can face book him n ask
You asked him though about his issues with the issues with it, and he was responding.

Genuine question, what was the purpose of posting this video?

If it was to generate discussion about the video, then why do you not want people to talk about it? If it was to show a good example of a wristlock, then what is the issue with people discussing ways it could be better?

Latest Discussions