Grappling Defense

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see, so the takedown is basically the major technique used in grappling itself, then?
What interests me so much is that yielding is the major technique used in my system, and these two major techniques head to head, make an interesting competition. The takedown is fast and hard to counter, normally ending in the opponent on the ground. While yielding is so "soft" it is extremely fast as well, and normally end with the opponent on the ground or in a Chin na.
I find it fascinating to apply my techniques to other systems to see how I will modify them to work against every situation.

This is turning into some good conversation.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geoff Thompson emphasizes that sport grappling training often starts from a neutral or advantageous to someone on-the-ground position but that how you get to the ground really matters. A good takedown is the difference between landing in the mount (on top) or with someone having your back. This makes a big difference!

J

JDenz

Not in grappling in wrestling. I would say in general in grappling the takedown is very underpracticed. So far in any of the tournments I have gone to I don't think there was one person there that could take me down or stop my takedown. It really is an art it is something you either have or don't have to. You can just see when you are coaching kids who has it and who doesn't in about two practices. Not saying someone without the natural talent can't be good even great but it is very hard to make up for the physical gifts and balence.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
7SM - It doesn't surprise me that you can avoid the shoot (what you previously called the lunge).

'The sprawl' is only shorthand for maintaining/lowering your base and moving your body weight forward at the same time. That is effectively what you are doing (I think). The shoot works best against very upright -read straight legged- fighters, for example western boxers. Most trad. kung fu drills a low stance, very difficult to shoot against.

Of course, a low stance does not defend as well against very mobile boxers. Footsweeps, take downs, chin-na and other 'grappling' techniques are more appropriate.

Finally, practice is essential to get any skill, but in striking arts, it is defence which is most skillful - and admired. A strong punch is much easierto develop than a skillful yielding parry. In grappling arts it is the opposite. Defensive skills are much easier to acquire than offensive skills - that is why there are passivity rules in judo.

Latest Discussions