Grading pressure.

louise 1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone:wavey:

I was hoping for a little advice. I've been going to a wonderful Aikido club for around four weeks now (i've had 5 lessons so far) and i'm loving it. However, there is a grading coming up in mid December and my instructor seems pretty keen for all beginners to go for it. My problem is that I really don't feel any where near ready to grade. Is it the done thing to stand my ground on this and say no thanks or should I go for it regardless of how I feel if the teacher wants me to try? I'm still not familiar with all of the names of the movements as yet as they're all in Japanese so i'm really not feeling very confident about my chances of passing. :confused:

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Grading is a weird thing, and it can be looked at in very different ways in different schools.

personally, it seems to me that you've been training for a VERY short period of time, and another month from now won't change that much. In my opinion, without knowing any other information, I'd say you are probably not ready for any grading.

I would hold your ground, but be warned that you might damage your relationship with the teacher. Most of this really depends on how he views it. But if the relationship is damaged, that tells you a lot about the instructor's integrity, and maybe in the big picture you would be better off training elsewhere.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, you do have to be aware that, in commercial schools (of which type most American schools seem to be sadly), there will always be pressure to 'grade' as that's how they make their money. If you don't like that (and I would fully agree with you if you don't) then you have the hard choice to either stick with it or search out a teacher who does it for the 'art' and not the 'dollar'.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:wavey:

I was hoping for a little advice. I've been going to a wonderful Aikido club for around four weeks now (i've had 5 lessons so far) and i'm loving it. However, there is a grading coming up in mid December and my instructor seems pretty keen for all beginners to go for it. My problem is that I really don't feel any where near ready to grade. Is it the done thing to stand my ground on this and say no thanks or should I go for it regardless of how I feel if the teacher wants me to try? I'm still not familiar with all of the names of the movements as yet as they're all in Japanese so i'm really not feeling very confident about my chances of passing. :confused:

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

IMO, I think its a bit soon to be testing. As Suk said, many schools today do put alot of pressure on people to test, and frankly, I think its wrong to put someone up for a test, just for the sake of testing. Seems like nowadays, some school are more interested in handing out rank, than they are the quality of their students.

My advice...talk to your teacher and explain to him your feelings. Yeah, this may damage your relationship with the teacher, but IMO, that should be a distant 2nd to making sure that you're actually ready.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just get up there and Train. Dont think of it as some fanciful Test, just go up and Train like You normally would. Testing is just a glorified way of saying "Im going to look closely and consider You for Promotion now".

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did that for my first test in Hapkido. I didn't feel I was ready and declined to take the test. There was no real pressure. It was just that I hadn't studied a martial art for a long time, and I never felt so clumsy as when I started Hapkido. I waited for the next test and sharpened my abilities. It served me well. But then my GM was great as were his asst instructors. I like MJS' advice about talking to your teacher.

Let us know how it works out.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many times grading systems are set up in baby steps in the beginning to give the new student a quick, attainable goal to inspire them to continue. Ask your instructor what the requirements are and if doable, train your **** off. You'll be fine.

OP
L

louise 1

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies :) I'll see how I feel closer to the time. Right now it's all a bit off putting but I do have a lot of respect for the instructor so if he genuinely thinks that i'm ready I might give it ago.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost to grade and if you fail do you get to regrade without paying?

If you don't pay for your gradings and the instructor says you should do it go for it and don't worry. If it costs a lot of money I'd seriously think about it.

softstylist

White Belt
Reaction score
There are 2 ways of looking at it...
1. if it is a commercial school then its probably a money thing as gradings are where the cash is at but I have not seen many commercial aikido schools so perhaps its....

2. If you have only just started its a good bet that your instructor knows more about aikido than you do so trust in his/her judgement and seeing that its your first grading its not going to be something over the top and remember you only have to do it like a 7th kyu (or whatever the first grade is) and not like a black belt so just have a go anyway and try not to over think it too much.

I hope you do well! :)