Gov. Cuomo bans possession of "undetectable" knives in NYC

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I fly I always get pulled out of line for extra screening. I don't know why. My wife gets a great, personal kick out of it though, usually telling the TSA workers "Check his socks, he's been hiding things in his socks forever."

Yet, I always fly armed with several weapons - none of which have ever been found by TSA, airport security or anybody else. Because I've been playing this game a whole lot longer than they have, I've been playing it since the early seventies, always with the idea of stopping a hijacking. (They were fairly common back then.) You might think airport security has always been around. It has, but not in a real, tactical sense.
:)
Last weekend flew to Newark, NY from New Orleans and back with a couple students for the Pekiti-Tirsia International camp. They both walked right through security and waited patiently while I was scanned, wanded, and then patted down both times. In N.O. it only took a few minutes more but in Newark I was detained for almost 15 minutes along with a poor elderly lady in a wheelchair.

As to having articles as weapons...yeap...I'm sure we share a lot of 'outside the box' thinking. I always have a few.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:)
Last weekend flew to Newark, NY from New Orleans and back with a couple students for the Pekiti-Tirsia International camp. They both walked right through security and waited patiently while I was scanned, wanded, and then patted down both times. In N.O. it only took a few minutes more but in Newark I was detained for almost 15 minutes along with a poor elderly lady in a wheelchair.

As to having articles as weapons...yeap...I'm sure we share a lot of 'outside the box' thinking. I always have a few.

Yes, And I hear you on the credit card thing, been using them for a long time. I recently got a pre approved credit card in the mail. The darn thing was made of metal. I remember chuckling and thinking, “nah, too easy.” So I chopped it up with metal snippers.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, And I hear you on the credit card thing, been using them for a long time. I recently got a pre approved credit card in the mail. The darn thing was made of metal. I remember chuckling and thinking, “nah, too easy.” So I chopped it up with metal snippers.
One of my EDC. Crazy...!! corkscrew.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For those reasons the UK law provides - it's perfectly legal to carry a pocket knife with a non locking blade of up to 3 inches without having to prove any purpose.

Like the little penknife that lives on my keyring, it's simply a utility device.

Unless of course it's used in an aggressive manner, then it's treated legally the same as any other item used in such a way - as an offensive weapon.

Your knife (using utility blades) I would not have previously categorised as a gravity knife - my interpretation of such an implement was more like a sliding switchblade without a spring. An item designed for stabbing and poorly suited for the uses you describe.

It only unbalances said equation if the bad side of the equation is overwhelmingly likely to be armed in such manner, and is then prepared to actually use said arms.

Outside of the soundbite grabbing UK metropolii beloved by political campaigners it's a vanishingly rare event, where even an unsuccessful attempt makes the local news headlines.

In the county I live, some people are calling for stricter gun laws due to reports of pigeons being shot with air rifles...

If statements such as this "unbalancing the equation" or "an armed society is a polite society" were universally true, the UK should really be a very nasty and dangerous place to live where bad people proliferate and good people live in constant fear - yet it's not.

We have a pigeon shooting day on Main Street once a year. It is a pretty serious problem and the community is glad to come together to help. Our government works hard to stimulate an active sense of the importance of community involvement. I do not know of anyone using air rifles. TN has a very low crime rate compared to nationally but it has been on the rise in middle TN because of the growth of Nashville.

I will avoid the political debate warnings this thread have been getting and just say your last paragraph is, well something else.