Got a favorite mocktail, or other non-alcoholic drink?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...I'll take your word for it. Anything with both Clam juice and tomato juice in it sounds like it was mixed to make sure I stay a good 500 feet away!
Yeah, I'm not sure whether to be interested or repulsed, not sure which side of the fence I'm on for that one.
Was it cold or a warm drink with the broth? Don't think that could go down cold...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always try the wierd combos.
There's a place on Cozumel called Wet Wendy's that makes a cucumber & jalapeño margarita. This is not a combo that sounds good. But it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck, I'll buy that. But if they are enjoyable to drink, why call them a "mocktail"? That implies it's sort of trying to be like a cocktail. And, (OK now I'm going to reveal just how cheap I really am) why pay bar prices for a non-alcoholic drink. Just find a good juice bar or something!

Many are indeed like cocktails. A Virgin Mary for example is a Bloody Mary without the vodka, a virgin Pina Colada is a Pina Colada without the rum. I don't think there is a juice bar anywhere in southern NH, but at the same time...I don't think the discussion needs to be limited to bars. Most people make beverage decisions when going out to eat as well, and lots of restaurants have liquor licences, regardless of whether or not they have a dedicated bar area.

I don't think cheap is a primary reason why people go out. Its cheaper to eat and drink at home. I think people go out either for convenience, or for the experience of being out...the ambiance, the company of other people, etc. There's a cigar bar near me that some of my friends like to go to. I don't care for cigars myself, but I do enjoy a chance to meet up with my friends, particularly when a good entertainment act is booked for the evening. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure whether to be interested or repulsed, not sure which side of the fence I'm on for that one.
Was it cold or a warm drink with the broth? Don't think that could go down cold...

It was cold! There is a mass-produced tomato juice drink called Clamato that I think is rather gross, but whatever the restaurant did was very good.

I tried making my own with some tomato juice, bottled Bar Harbor clam broth, and a couple seasonings. I got close, but not exact. I think I need to go back for....research purposes ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heck, I'll buy that. But if they are enjoyable to drink, why call them a "mocktail"? That implies it's sort of trying to be like a cocktail. And, (OK now I'm going to reveal just how cheap I really am) why pay bar prices for a non-alcoholic drink. Just find a good juice bar or something!

How about because you're at a bar with friends? Should you leave and go find a juice bar?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few words of advice:
Never, ever hand a bartender a credit card, tell him you don't want the same drink twice and to keep them coming...
That was a very interesting night...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the sort of thing you do at an All Inclusive resort, where you can dump any drink that's nasty, your room is walking distance from the bar, the nights are warm, in case you spend it sleeping by the pool, and the bar tab is $0.00.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the sort of thing you do at an All Inclusive resort, where you can dump any drink that's nasty, your room is walking distance from the bar, the nights are warm, in case you spend it sleeping by the pool, and the bar tab is $0.00.

Bar tab: $258 it was memorable
having pulled the coil wire off my car before going in, the ride home, courtesy of AAA, Free... Don't drink and drive...
Oh, I requested shots and/or shooters, nasty was down before I had a chance to dump it...

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bar tab: $258 it was memorable
having pulled the coil wire off my car before going in, the ride home, courtesy of AAA, Free... Don't drink and drive...
Oh, I requested shots and/or shooters, nasty was down before I had a chance to dump it...

Despite my previous comments, I don't know why, but a monster bar tab on booze seems acceptable (kinda) but one for mocktails still doesn't quite cut it...
$258 for straight coconut juice and cordials doesn't quite work optically (the optics pun was one I couldn't resist, very subtle if I do say so).

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But have you ever run up a monster bar tab drinking mocktails? I haven't, even when I've been someplace for nearly the entire evening. The times that I have imbibed, my tab has always been larger than the times I haven't.

Certainly if an establishment puts a hefty price on a juice drink, I may choose something simpler and cheaper but I can't remember doing that in recent memory. Overall, I haven't yet gone in to sticker shock when I've been out drinking the all ages stuff. :)

Latest Discussions