Good starter bike.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the full-face helmet question, the only answer is a 100% unequivocal "Yes". Open-face are for people who have no regard for their face whatsoever.

In my big crash, one of the end results of the cartwheeling of me and the bike is that I ended up with a lovely tyre-print up the front of my visor as my own bike hit me in the head.

I'm sure noone needs much imagination to imagine the results of that if I'd been in a pot-helm.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And ABSOLUTLY do not drink if you are riding a bike, EVERYONE is out to get you whether they know it or not. And never assume the person in the car sees you at all, IMO, it is best to assume they do not.

Great advice...Also be careful when stopping or taking off at a traffic light, many cars leak oil and anti-freeze and it can affect your stopping and starting...Helmets are a PERSONAL CHOICE..I wear one similar to the one I wore on duty, open faced...Since my bike has a windsheild I don't eat too many bugs as it is...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Helmets are a PERSONAL CHOICE..I wear one similar to the one I wore on duty, open faced...Since my bike has a windsheild I don't eat too many bugs as it is...

Agreed. I personally can't stand windshields or fairings the wind that comes of them always hits the top of my helmet and it sounds like continuous thunder and I also can't stand not seeing the front wheel so I really have no use for a full fairing. But I know many that love them so much of it is a personal choice.

But back to tips, if you do have a full face helmet and you get caught in a rain storm, just turn your head to the right or left for a second and the wind will clean of your visor just like a windshield wiper and then...pull over if it is a bad storm. It gets a bit slippery in the rain also steel deck bridges and grooved roads can be a problem as can going from pavement to dirt so be careful

mela34

White Belt
Reaction score
my first big bike is a thundercat yzf 600 abs love it try it im sure you will love it too .

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the full-face helmet question, the only answer is a 100% unequivocal "Yes". Open-face are for people who have no regard for their face whatsoever.

In my big crash, one of the end results of the cartwheeling of me and the bike is that I ended up with a lovely tyre-print up the front of my visor as my own bike hit me in the head.

I'm sure noone needs much imagination to imagine the results of that if I'd been in a pot-helm.
Thanks, I'm far too purty to go getting my faced messed up. ;)

Great advice all around, gang. Keep 'em coming. I drive an 18 wheeler for a living and people act like they can't see that, so I can only imagine what it's like with a bike. I am under certain safety restrictions from the missus. The full head helmet was one of them. She's also suggesting an armored jacket... at least for the first season. We'll see. Right now it looks like early spring before we'll be making the purchase but I think she's as motivated to get going as I am. She tells me she'll be taking the MSF course with me and getting her license at the same time. Is it possible that her quick acquiescence to my request to by a bike was simply a ruse to get one herself? :confused:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I always wore a leather jacket or a denim jacket and books when riding and that has on more than one occasion saved my hide, particularly back in my dirt riding days

I tend to think many a crazy riding rice rockets down the road in shorts t-shirts and sneakers but then maybe that is just me. However bare skin or skins with only a t-shirt to protect you form the pavement does not far too well even at low speed.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always wore a leather jacket or a denim jacket and books when riding and that has on more than one occasion saved my hide, particularly back in my dirt riding days

Well said...Jeans and boots IMHO should be MANDATORY

I tend to think many a crazy riding rice rockets down the road in shorts t-shirts and sneakers but then maybe that is just me. However bare skin or skins with only a t-shirt to protect you form the pavement does not far too well even at low speed.

It ain't just you XS...I've seen them in running shorts and sandals passing me like I was in reverse..

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm far too purty to go getting my faced messed up.

Great advice all around, gang. Keep 'em coming. I drive an 18 wheeler for a living and people act like they can't see that, so I can only imagine what it's like with a bike. I am under certain safety restrictions from the missus. The full head helmet was one of them. She's also suggesting an armored jacket... at least for the first season. We'll see. Right now it looks like early spring before we'll be making the purchase but I think she's as motivated to get going as I am. She tells me she'll be taking the MSF course with me and getting her license at the same time. Is it possible that her quick acquiescence to my request to by a bike was simply a ruse to get one herself?

As to your first ... you too :D!

As to your last ... hmm; you could well be on to something there {if I had a goatee to stroke in thoughful mien I would :)}.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I always wore a leather jacket or a denim jacket and books when riding

Not into quoting myself but I see I need to make a correction.

I NEVER wore books when riding... however I did wear BOOTS. I have no idea how I made that type-oh but apparently I did.

So to recap... Don't wear books....wear boots....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. I personally can't stand windshields or fairings the wind that comes of them always hits the top of my helmet and it sounds like continuous thunder and I also can't stand not seeing the front wheel so I really have no use for a full fairing. But I know many that love them so much of it is a personal choice.

Yes, it a personal choice..I sit low enough on my Glide that I get no wind in the face..

But back to tips, if you do have a full face helmet and you get caught in a rain storm, just turn your head to the right or left for a second and the wind will clean of your visor just like a windshield wiper and then...pull over if it is a bad storm. It gets a bit slippery in the rain also steel deck bridges and grooved roads can be a problem as can going from pavement to dirt so be careful

GREAT tip XS..Riding in the rain is a real problem..I once out ran a bad incoming storm front, luckly I was only a few miles from my apartment..I was pelted by debris that the high winds kicked up and the rain was coming in hard and it seemed sideways...EVERYONE gets caught in the rain at one time or another, consider it a baptism..

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had often wondered about riding in the rain and how to get the water off your face shield. Great tip.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
EVERYONE gets caught in the rain at one time or another, consider it a baptism..

I got caught in a thunderstorm in the Adirondacks once completly by surprise. It was bright and sunny and as I looked up at a mountain top I saw the DARK clouds coming over the peek. That was one wet and scary ride, no cover, no place to pull over and nothing but high trees all around. Wind, rain, lightning and debris, of course it was a nice hot summer day so I was wearing my denim jacket and not the water proof leather.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had often wondered about riding in the rain and how to get the water off your face shield. Great tip.

Just make sure that your visor is clipped in properly - I once had one end of mine spring out at 70mph doing that particular trick :eek:.

I am sure everyone can imagine what effect suddenly having a spinnacker popping out into the air-stream has; I'm surprised I didn't break my neck!

Also, it cannot be emphasised enough that you should never ride without boots, gloves, leather and helmet. I didn't used to wear leather trousers when I rode but as my jeans were four layers thick and more with patches all over I was protected well enough (as is evidenced that I took no abrasive harm from all my tumbling about in my big smash).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, it cannot be emphasised enough that you should never ride without boots, gloves, leather and helmet. I didn't used to wear leather trousers when I rode but as my jeans were four layers thick and more with patches all over I was protected well enough (as is evidenced that I took no abrasive harm from all my tumbling about in my big smash).

A pair of leather chaps will come in real handy as the Fall weather gets a little cooler...You can find them on E-Bay for as little as $100.00, one of the best investments I ever made..I cannot make any comments about helmets than I already made as I go without one 98% of the time.. I have been down 4 times and only have a little road rash as a momento of the experience...

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been digging around on this forum for the last week or so. It's a great motorcycle forum for beginners and enthusiasts alike, it seems. Kinda the MT of the cycling world. www.m13online.com

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You sure it was the same course? This was at Woodstock Harley and everyone was on Road Kings. They had Buells too. Two other girls were on Buells.

No, sounds like you took the Paid course at Harley... I took the free one at the Aviation School in West Chicago.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No matter what bike you finally decide on, when purchasing insurance go with the 12 month policy..That way when those mild days of Nov or Dec show up you can ride unafraid..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No matter what bike you finally decide on, when purchasing insurance go with the 12 month policy..That way when those mild days of Nov or Dec show up you can ride unafraid..

Or those mild days February or March... but to me that just meant above freezing so there was no ice on the road :D

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or those mild days February or March... but to me that just meant above freezing so there was no ice on the road :D
Yeah, above freezing is what I'm thinking as well. Gravel, sand and other debris are one thing. I SHOULD be able to see most of that but ice is an entirely different subject. Hopefully, we'll continue to have the mild winters we've had the last couple of years but the Farmers Almanac is calling for a bitterly cold winter. Of course, the national weather service calls for the opposite. I'm more inclined to believe the almanac.

Here's a question for ya. Do you treat the seat and other leather on your bike with anything to protect it from the rain? Obviously I won't use Armor All on it. I'd kinda like to be able to remain seated on the bike on a curve or when using the brakes. ;)

Latest Discussions