Good Question

Distinction

White Belt
Reaction score
I've read some different perceptions on what Chi - Ki - Qi are, and whether or not they exist. None of that really concerns me(not that it's totally irrelevant). What I want to know is how to strengthen Chi- Ki - Qi. Isn't that what really matters?

Can anyone elaborate on this? Or explain more on the subject?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've read some different perceptions on what Chi - Ki - Qi are, and whether or not they exist. None of that really concerns me(not that it's totally irrelevant). What I want to know is how to strengthen Chi- Ki - Qi. Isn't that what really matters?

Seems to me that whether or not they exist is quite relevant to the question of how they can be strengthened, no?

Update: You might want to have a look at this book: Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've read some different perceptions on what Chi - Ki - Qi are, and whether or not they exist. None of that really concerns me(not that it's totally irrelevant).

Well if it doesn't exist you can't strengthen it so I am assuming that you feel it exists

What I want to know is how to strengthen Chi- Ki - Qi. Isn't that what really matters?

Find a well-trained Qigong teacher and train Qigong. Or a legitimate Taiji teacher and train Taiji. Also Bagua, Xingyi or Liu He Ba Fa works too.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I placed an order for this book today...can't wait to read it.

Thanks for the post!!!

Hope you enjoy the book. I found it when John Carmack (or one of the other Doom programmers, I forget) wrote a review on Slashdot. The experiences he describes are identical to what I've felt in a good coding session, where it's like time stops and everything works perfectly. The book is not specific to martial arts, but applies broadly to pretty much any activity you can participate in.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hm. Okay.

Breathing helps. Try that first.

fJCtheone

White Belt
Reaction score
Meditation also helps. If you can find an instructor who ties it in with MA practice that would be a great place to start.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Ki" certainly exists. It is not some fanstasy power a la the 'force' but is a way of using your mind to 'trick' youself into transcending what you think your bodies limits are.

Like many other things, it is, at its core, a question of confidence. That can only come about by training and 'sneaking' up on your limits so that you can convince yourself that you can achieve what is asked of you.

In my experience, the best way to do this is be in the company of other martial artists, some of whom have walked the 'path' ahead of you. Seeing the black sashes break boards et al reassured me that it could be done so that, after a little coaxing, I was able to do it myself when the time came.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Ki" certainly exists. It is not some fanstasy power a la the 'force' but is a way of using your mind to 'trick' youself into transcending what you think your bodies limits are.

Like many other things, it is, at its core, a question of confidence. That can only come about by training and 'sneaking' up on your limits so that you can convince yourself that you can achieve what is asked of you.

In my experience, the best way to do this is be in the company of other martial artists, some of whom have walked the 'path' ahead of you. Seeing the black sashes break boards et al reassured me that it could be done so that, after a little coaxing, I was able to do it myself when the time came.

Just an observation, I love that you referenced "the force" and that your avatar is Yoda. That just tickles my geeky side. Thought I'd share that with you.

May the force be with you!

OP
Distinction

Distinction

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd seen debate about the existance on "Chi, Ki, Qi,". So I didn't want to bring that into the conversation.
Breathing huh? I never thought of that.
But seriously, thanks for the feedback. It 's much appreciated.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well before we can strengthen Qi we have to know what it is and what type of Qi we are trying to strengthen. Otherwise we are wasting time. I think a much more and overlook question is how can I regulate my Jing. Or how can I regulate more Qi. I guess your question to me is to general because it can go into more in depth depending on what exactly you are trying to accomplish. alot of building more Qi envolves Yi or a calm mind and knowing theory. As for Mantak Chia I trained with one of his students here in Florida she writes articles for the magazine Empty Vessel sometimes.
I find it to be very new age though alot of people find good results but then again people also find good results with Taoist Tai chi society.

netrage

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

There is no such thing as strengthing chi, technically, Chi is a life force that will purify, improve and then develop itself.

How to realise effects of chi ?
-Close your ears with your palms feel the buzz.
-Stop for 1 moment close your eyes, just still your mind for 1 sec, you will see someone/something looking at you, its another aspect of your chi (aura).
- breath gently, half close your eyes and concentrate for 1 sec, you will see some dizzling in your body, that is the chi flow.

Someone above talked of Jing :), well if you simply cultivate and harness chi it will balance everything else.

How to strengthen -
- Pick any one thing, tai chi, kata or any other thing, just do it with breath sync , after some days/weeks/years you will get the power of chi developed to the full potential depending on cleansing of meridians.

Different people have different styles and learnings, diff. experiences, rather then asking people ask yourself , you will get the answer to strenghten chi and develop yourself. You are your best guide.

rgds

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is no such thing as strengthing chi
Depends on which Qi there are different types of Qi: Ying Qi which is nourshing Qi, Wei Qi which is defensive Qi, Qi of the particular Zang or Fu organ just to name some. I recall a Qigong technique involving skin breathing to strengthen Wei Qi.
Chi is a life force that will purify, improve and then develop itself.
This statement is true if you are culivating similar to the idea of focusing on relax breathing until you no longer have to think of it.
Someone above talked of Jing :), well if you simply cultivate and harness chi it will balance everything else.
I spoke of Jing. Jing is your essence without firming your essence how can you generate more energy when your depleting yourself? You can not cultivate Qi without firming your jing otherwise your wasting your time.
Pick any one thing, tai chi, kata or any other thing, just do it with breath sync , after some days/weeks/years you will get the power of chi developed to the full potential depending on cleansing of meridians.
I do not think you will get the full potential without knowing how to cultivate and learn how to guard your three treasures. Many people do jogging or walking with their arms swinging they are moving blood and of course Qi but without proper knowledge you will build up a small amount which will disperse.
Different people have different styles and learnings, diff. experiences, rather then asking people ask yourself , you will get the answer to strenghten chi and develop yourself. You are your best guide
Agreed there are many different styles however there lays a common foundation. When learning about Qigong it is important to have a teacher or have someone be able to correct you. You being your best guide is not true. How can someone who does not know about Qigong be his best guide?

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hope you enjoy the book. I found it when John Carmack (or one of the other Doom programmers, I forget) wrote a review on Slashdot. The experiences he describes are identical to what I've felt in a good coding session, where it's like time stops and everything works perfectly. The book is not specific to martial arts, but applies broadly to pretty much any activity you can participate in.

You should visit the post: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32512
This post sounds like you just might do well on the test :). I've had many programming classes and let me tell you, there wasn't anything euphoric about it. I'm glad it works for you.

Latest Discussions