Good high powered rifle

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im wanting to invest in a good high powered rifle. Im thinking of something in the caliber of .338 Winchester Magnum or perhaps even .375 H&H. Anybody know of any good brands and models in either of those calibers? I might break the bank on such a purchase, oh well.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always had a liking for Parker and Hale bolt actions chambered for the 7.62 NATO round but,sadly, good luck finding one of their pieces since the Great Disarmament of the British People :(.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
go to Ruger's website, they've got various bolt-action models in such calibers, .308 (7.62x51 Nato), .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .338, .375 Ruger, .416 ruger. Might find something you like there.

I recently purchases their Gunsite Scout bolt action in .308, tho I have not yet had a chance to give it a test run.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just had a chance to peruse Ruger's website again. If you are looking for something with iron sites, check out the Guide Gun, and the M77Hawkeye African models, both bolt actions. Those offer a wide range of caliber options including those you mentioned, for around $1200.

The other M77 Hawkeye models do not have iron sites. Personally, I don't want to have a scope requirement in order to shoot, but that's just me.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 25K for the 375 H&H isn't practical so that makes the Remington 700 look all that much better at $1500. The Remington 700 has been around along time and a .308 could be bought new for around $600 and the 26" barrell model is accurate to 1400 yards.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 25K for the 375 H&H isn't practical so that makes the Remington 700 look all that much better at $1500. The Remington 700 has been around along time and a .308 could be bought new for around $600 and the 26" barrell model is accurate to 1400 yards.

with a serious scope, I'm guessing...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
any thoughts on how it compares with Rugers M77 Hawkeye? very close? clearly better? clearly worse? in what way?

They are both excellent rifles. It comes down to a matter of personal preference, regarding bolt operation, trigger pull, etc. Some people prefer Ruger's action, others prefer Remington's action, etc.

The main reason why I prefer the Remington 700, is because there are more aftermarket options available for it, due to its sheer popularity, than any other bolt action rifle platform. If you want to customize your rifle, you'll find it much easier to do with a Remington 700.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quality scope, proper load and a decent shooter. This gun is affordable. http://www.basspro.com/Remington-Model-700-SPS-308-WIN-Varmint-Rifle/product/10218357/

yeah, I'm just thinking that 1400 yards is the better part of a mile (1760 yards). You can probably barely see the target, much less aim for a specific bullseye at that range, without some serious magnification and a very steady bench or bipod. That would be an impressive shot.

How would the .300 winchester magnum compare to the .308 for such a shot, from a similar rifle? I'm guessing it would hold more power on impact, at that range.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, I'm just thinking that 1400 yards is the better part of a mile (1760 yards). You can probably barely see the target, much less aim for a specific bullseye at that range, without some serious magnification and a very steady bench or bipod. That would be an impressive shot.

How would the .300 winchester magnum compare to the .308 for such a shot, from a similar rifle? I'm guessing it would hold more power on impact, at that range.

You would know better than me. My family is helping me get into hunting so I've been doing a lot of research. Of the new guns I want the 700 .308 is top of my list. The sniper forums and survivalist forums do a lot of gun comparisons where I've been peeping for a couple of years.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You would know better than me. My family is helping me get into hunting so I've been doing a lot of research. Of the new guns I want the 700 .308 is top of my list. The sniper forums and survivalist forums do a lot of gun comparisons where I've been peeping for a couple of years.

ah, interesting.

I actually did a bit of comparison research on Wikipedia, believe it or not. Plug in the cartridge and they've got some good info, including listing velocity for various projectile weights and stuff, and energy on impact and stuff. Gives a lot of history on the development of the cartridge too. So you can look at a .308 and a .30-06 and a .300 win mag and a .30-30 and compare velocity and energy for similar weighted projectiles. Looks like the .308 is just a small step down from the .30-06 in velocity and energy, which surprised me because there's a fairly significant size difference in the cartridge itself. I just thought the performance difference would be greater.

The .300 win mag seems to have a really high velocity which gives it a flat trajectory and is good for long range shots and holds it's energy better at longer range. The thing is, in the Wiki info it said that it's recoil is about 40% greater than a .30-06, which is the biggest rifle I've ever shot, and that kicks like a mule. So that .300 win mag must kick like a war horse I guess. But I've never shot one, it's just from what I've been reading. Wondered if anyone might have some first-hand experience with it.

If you like the .308, check out Ruger's Gunsite Scout rifle. It's a short barrel carbine, detachable 10-round magazine in a bolt-action. I just like the concept that it was built upon. Short and light weight so you can carry it all day and all night if you are needing to treck a long way thru the wilderness. Short barrel so it's easier to handle in heavy brush, should be good and accurate to 400-500 yards and has iron sites so you don't need to buy a scope if you don't want one. Picatinny rail is in place so you can easily mount a scope if you want one. Heavy enough catridge to take down serious game if need be. It's just a good idea, conceptually. I would like a slightly longer barrel (they've got two models: 16.5 inch and 18 inch, I've got the shorter one) but seems to me 20 inch could still have fit the parameters, but that's just me. Anyway, I really like it, tho I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im now wanting to invest in a .375 H&H rather than a .338 Win Mag. The .375 is a bit more powerful an more popular too.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any particular purpose?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im now wanting to invest in a .375 H&H rather than a .338 Win Mag. The .375 is a bit more powerful an more popular too.

The .338 Lapua would also be an option if you are looking for a really big bang. I have been hunting with the .270 WSM for a couple years now and it drops whatever I need it to. the .375 is a Dangerous Game caliber. It is going to stomp on you, pick you up and stomp on you again. It is also a bit more of an exotic round. IF you are headed that way look at .404 Jeffery (That one is really murderous from both ends, ask me how I know) or the .416 Rigby

But like Tgace said what is the intended purpose for the rifle?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When ammo starts to top $2.00 a round.....ill pass.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Might be he's got a family of Mountain Trolls who took up residence in his back 40 acres...?

No kidding, that's a lot of rifle.

I prefer a 30-06. It's too small for some stuff, too big for others, but just right for most tasty animals. It's also a common round and easy to find ammo. They are inexpensive and easy to use, as in it doesn't kick like a mule.

Latest Discussions