Good high powered rifle

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No kidding, that's a lot of rifle.

I prefer a 30-06. It's too small for some stuff, too big for others, but just right for most tasty animals. It's also a common round and easy to find ammo. They are inexpensive and easy to use, as in it doesn't kick like a mule.

well, it does have a healthy kick, tho not unmanageable.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An old sniper argument.... 30-06 vs 308.

308 is preferred for the short throw on the bolt which makes for faster follow up shots, 30-06 is also a longer and heavier weapon. The terminal ballistics are similar enough so that this becomes a deal maker...hence 308's dominance in the LE/MIL sniper arena.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No kidding, that's a lot of rifle.

I prefer a 30-06. It's too small for some stuff, too big for others, but just right for most tasty animals. It's also a common round and easy to find ammo. They are inexpensive and easy to use, as in it doesn't kick like a mule.

where would you draw the line with the .30-06 with regards to something it's not powerful enough to go after? I certainly would not take it to Africa and go after rhino, hippo or elephant (I wouldn't ever go after those out or moral and ethical reasons anyway, but just for the sake of discussion). But what about North American animals? Grizzly? Polar Bear? Moose? Elk? I've heard it said that .308 is plenty for elk or moose, so I assume .30-06 is too. what about the others?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hell..in proper loadings 30-30 has taken everything in the northern hemisphere from deer to polar bear.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
where would you draw the line with the .30-06 with regards to something it's not powerful enough to go after? I certainly would not take it to Africa and go after rhino, hippo or elephant (I wouldn't ever go after those out or moral and ethical reasons anyway, but just for the sake of discussion). But what about North American animals? Grizzly? Polar Bear? Moose? Elk? I've heard it said that .308 is plenty for elk or moose, so I assume .30-06 is too. what about the others?

30-06 is plenty rifle if you are smart and hunt well. I've heard the same about a 30-30 as well. I guess, from my perspective, I like to practice with whatever weapons I own as much as possible (must be the martial artist in me). Thus rifles that are common, simple, effective, with cheap ammo are the one's I'm drawn to. I've shot some strange things before at the range. Once a collector brought in a 444 Marlin and that was fun, but I just don't see the purpose.

Out here in Hawaii, we hunt boar, axis deer, goats, and mouflon. We can be taking shots that are really close with all kinds of jungle, or long distance over grass and lava fields. 12 gauge with 3.5 in mag capacity or 30-06 seems to be the ticket.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hell..in proper loadings 30-30 has taken everything in the northern hemisphere from deer to polar bear.

Yes it has. I have successfully taken elk with my old 30-30 but, it will do the job just isn't my preferred choice. It really just comes down to shot placement.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just got a .375 H&H Magnum, it kicks like a mule.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am guessing that is both in recoil and the pocketbook?

I actually managed to get quite a good deal although it was because I lucked out. Ordinarily such a weapon brand new would cost in the range of $1400-$1500 but the particular make and model I wanted, a Remington 700 CDL in .375 H&H which I would've paid $1400-$1500 if I had to, I managed to get for about $1000. I was looking all over for that particular gun and I finally called up Remington and they referenced me to this distribution company which happened to have three of those guns which had been used as displays and as such were therefore considered used although they were unfired and in mint condition so I got a great discount and a great deal. As for it kicking like a mule, that would mostly be the recoil that I was talking about.

Latest Discussions