My progression with firearms

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I became a state resident, back in July, in a much more gun friendly state than the state where I previously lived, I have made much progress in pursuing my passion for firearms. Since moving, I've bought five more guns to add to my collection before of which I only had two guns, so now I've got seven. I've been learning how to handle big hand cannons such as the .44 Magnum as well as small pocket rockets such as the Ruger LC9 which is a 9mm. I've taken some rifle classes where I've used my .22 Marlin and I've also shot a big shoulder cannon, a .375 H&H. I've even bought and fired a modern reproduction of an old cowboy gun, namely a Ruger Vaquero in .45 caliber. All in all my progress has been quite good but its been expensive and I want to learn how to reload cartridges and get a reloader. As such, I will probably save money in the long run by doing that so anybody whose got any pointers on reloading they would be gladly welcomed.

On a side note, on this board Herschel Walker has been discussed. This Saturday, I met Hulk Hogan at a convention and he was looking great. Herschel is 51 years old and I believe that Hulk Hogan is around that same age. Both men are in excellent shape for any age. Not to take any credit away from Herschel or Hulk Hogan, both men are amazing, but I would just like to point out that 50s isn't old.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before you start learning how to load your own, you need to find out how much you can invest in a reloading kit.

If money is very tight, then you're going to be better off getting a single stage press, a set of reloading dies, etc. Hornady's Lock 'N Load classic single stage press kit has just about everything you need to get started, minus the bullets, powder, and primers. You will need to get the reloading dies in the caliber you want (it uses the standard 7/8" reloading dies) as well as the case holders, but that's standard for any caliber you want to load.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005085003

It even includes an excellent set of manuals to read, so you can get started, at a cost of about mid-upper 200's.

While it's true that the Lee reloading kit is less expensive, and can produce ammo that is just as good as the ones made on the Hornady press, you'll be much, much happier with the Hornady kit, since it's easier to operate, and built more solidly.

If you have money to burn (about 1000 or more), then you could start using a progressive press, learning how to load one cartridge at a time, operating it like a turret press, until you get the hang of its operation.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before you start learning how to load your own, you need to find out how much you can invest in a reloading kit.

If money is very tight, then you're going to be better off getting a single stage press, a set of reloading dies, etc. Hornady's Lock 'N Load classic single stage press kit has just about everything you need to get started, minus the bullets, powder, and primers. You will need to get the reloading dies in the caliber you want (it uses the standard 7/8" reloading dies) as well as the case holders, but that's standard for any caliber you want to load.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005085003

It even includes an excellent set of manuals to read, so you can get started, at a cost of about mid-upper 200's.

While it's true that the Lee reloading kit is less expensive, and can produce ammo that is just as good as the ones made on the Hornady press, you'll be much, much happier with the Hornady kit, since it's easier to operate, and built more solidly.

If you have money to burn (about 1000 or more), then you could start using a progressive press, learning how to load one cartridge at a time, operating it like a turret press, until you get the hang of its operation.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe we can go shooting sometime.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally the desert eagle is my preferred pistol, but one thing for certain I've seen it too many times

You get people who hold the gun wrong maybe too loose or its almost funny when you see some try hold guns sideways but, my point is when you use those kinds of caliber guns. The recoil is what a lot of people don't think of always gotta have both hands on the gun (you probably, already know this but you'll be surprised to see how many don't know)

Good luck with your marksmanship

Latest Discussions