Going to organize Bear hunt using tradittional Japanese Archery Equipment

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have friends that have never eaten store meat and get quite sick if they eat it.

This statement is an impossibility.

How could your friends possibly get sick doing something they've never done?

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This statement is an impossibility.

How could your friends possibly get sick doing something they've never done?

ok change have to had on lunch writting quick give me a break they had not and I served steak from safeway and they go sick due to chemicals and growth hormones we are all used to

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm allergic to strawberries, and I never eat them. I get quite sick if (when?) I do.

Let it go dude......

I order to know you're allergic, you had to eat them. At least twice....

Accuracy and precision are important in all areas of life...

Don't get me wrong. I applaud what Master Dan does for the people of his area. But impossible is impossible. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok change have to had on lunch writting quick give me a break they had not and I served steak from safeway and they go sick due to chemicals and growth hormones we are all used to

Unwarranted and unsupportable assumption about cause and affect...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife gets sick from store bought meat. She can eat grass fed meat just fine, however.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got horribly sick when I ate antelope. Of course, it turned out later that the steak I got had been improperly handled so I had food poisoning. I'm with Mark, beware of unwarranted and unsupported statements.

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unwarranted and unsupportable assumption about cause and affect...

so all you know is what is? do you live here have you cooked for natives here? to be fair they use little or no seasonings to and maranate may also have effected them when I cooked and no it was not spoiled. I was cutting meat in 1970 when the grea beef shortage happend and I had freinds that made so much money from opening horse meat shops they bought airplanes do you know that we ship 747's full of horse meat to Franc? trouble is there is an enzyme in horse meat that gives alot of people disentary.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
so all you know is what is? do you live here have you cooked for natives here? to be fair they use little or no seasonings to and maranate may also have effected them when I cooked and no it was not spoiled. I was cutting meat in 1970 when the grea beef shortage happend and I had freinds that made so much money from opening horse meat shops they bought airplanes do you know that we ship 747's full of horse meat to Franc? trouble is there is an enzyme in horse meat that gives alot of people disentary.

No, there is not. Dysentary is an infection, and while it can be caused by any number of pathogens, it is absolutely NOT caused by ingesting an enzyme.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A bit off the subject of hunting with traditional Japanese Archery Equipment, dysentery, moral judgements and other thread directions, a comment that you wrote Master Dan caught my attention. I hope that I will be forgiven for a bit of a thread drift of my own. Actually a lot of thread drift. My comments could have been sent PM but the issue I want to address is a common issue, and that commonness won the debate between private and public discussion.

Master Dan wrote:
“You cannot imagine how much I would love to see trees and smell grass but I cannot leave them.”

It is great to find life’s meaning, and giving to others is a great and honorable path. Giving to others makes a community stronger and can fill a personal need, it can fill a void in a persons life. A person that gives of their time to others is admired by friends and family. There is a hidden danger, obvious but ignored by those closest. Willful suffering for the sake of duty. People will give up family hours to give to others. Pastors, counselors, and yes- even martial arts instructors and coaches, often suffer from this kind of complex and their families suffer tremendously. Family and friends have difficulty be honest about the loss, the theft of relationship because to do so can bring guilt and accusations of jealousy. The coach that finds meaning and identity in giving to others risks losing that meaning if they take time off to share with family or just for their own personal benefit. What if the team, congregation, business, unit, class, village, country get along fine without them? It is easy to become blinded by the ‘good works’ and lose sight of the bigger picture or more personal picture if you will.

10,000 years is a long time. Peoples and cultures have come and gone in much less lengths of time. Is it not extreme ego to assume that peoples cannot survive with out one person? If gone for a day, will their lives be over? How about a week, perhaps a month? Could those closest perhaps pick up some of the slack? Are they being allowed to grow or are they being held back, retarded in their own growth because a strong person cannot let go of the mission even for a week?

A mirror can be a hard thing to look into. We can see our past failures and trials written in the lines and greying. We can see the tired lines and fading of spirit reflected when we are beaten upon and exhausted. Sometimes, taking that mirror to a different location produces amazing results. It is not from the moving of the mirror but the moving our body and the circumstances of course.

Movement resolves conflict and strengthens and heals the spirit. I strongly recommend that anytime someone hears themselves or someone that they care about say something like “You cannot imagine how much I would love to see trees and smell grass but I cannot leave them.” when talking about a mission or a service, that a moment is taken to consider that type of sentiment. Is it just. Is it really so? If so for how long? A week away can be a lifetime in spirit strengthening not just for the person making the comment but in those they are serving as well. A mother has to cut the apron strings, birds pushed out of the nest, and lions sent to fend, it is nature and healthy.

This time of year, take a week and get lost somewhere in the lower 48. Spend some time in the mountains climbing ridges and trees. Head South and swim in the ocean that is bath tub warm. Celebrate life by living. When someone says that they would “love to-but- they cannot not leave them” they are no longer serving other people but are serving a self-imposed prison sentence in my opinion. It ruins relationships, ruins those being ‘served’ and ruins the person giving. It is a test to be able to set down the tools and take break, it is perhaps the height of self awareness to know when to take a break and seek a change in scenery. The psychology of different environments is easy to feel and experience if one is open and we live in a great time when it is all available for the price of a ticket.

Master Dan, my condolences on your loss, my prayers lifted for you and your family. Your words and I think your sentiment were the motivation for my words and sentiment but I could easily have been mistaken and may have completely misread your words and circumstances. It is not much of a risk cause if the perspective does not fit you there is no harm other than the loss of some time, my writing and your reading time, but there is a good chance that the sentiment will speak to some other, some other day down the path.

OK, back to the topic. Yes you can use that funny tall bow, but would avoid being in brush country as it could get tangled in the brush. If you use one you must wear a traditional outfit and wear your hair in a top knot, after all even bears like variety in their diet. Oh, yeah, must be filmed for youtube and start off with...”Watch this-hold my beer” type of comment. Just kidding, it is getting late here. In truth, I see no issues if it is legal and if doing so only risks your own life and not others in your party.

Good luck
Warmest Regards
Brian King

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just an update today my friend that hunts bear every year here by bow had a bear jump the string today twice my other friend was in camp watching from a distance and later had the bear run through his camp. Season closed for now but will open again in August. He suggested we contact Three Rivers Archery for advice on the equipment we want to use. For those of you experience in hunting by bow will understand what Jump The String means.

jazscam

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm curious about hunting with a yumi as well. I would like to get out and bag a deer or two with one. I skipped a lot of the middle of this thread due to the whether hunting good debate, so if this has already been asked sorry.

What is the pull strength of your bow? For deer I would want at least 50 pounds pull, and while I definitely agree that these style bows were made for with hunting in mind, I feel to be an ethical hunter you need to have a minimum pull weight based on the animal you are hunting. What weight is needed for brown bear anyway?

If I was concerned about the stopping power my bow and had a few friends hunting with me, one would have a 12 gauge/rifle ready to go or even a .45 holstered.

I think it's a great idea and I am really interested in how your hunt went.

Jay Paton

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, I'm curious about hunting with a yumi as well. I would like to get out and bag a deer or two with one. I skipped a lot of the middle of this thread due to the whether hunting good debate, so if this has already been asked sorry.

What is the pull strength of your bow? For deer I would want at least 50 pounds pull, and while I definitely agree that these style bows were made for with hunting in mind, I feel to be an ethical hunter you need to have a minimum pull weight based on the animal you are hunting. What weight is needed for brown bear anyway?

If I was concerned about the stopping power my bow and had a few friends hunting with me, one would have a 12 gauge/rifle ready to go or even a .45 holstered.

I think it's a great idea and I am really interested in how your hunt went.

Jay Paton

It does not seem like a particularly stealthy design for a bow. Could be very awkward in hunting wary and shy and skittish wildlife.

I imagine there are laws governing the minimum draw poundage for different types of game. For deer, it could be something like #40. For brown bear? I dunno, but personally I wouldn't go less than #65 even if the laws allowed it and even tho I suspect a weaker bow could do it. And a damn big and sharp broadhead. And a good pair of running shoes. You only need to be able to outrun your buddy, not the bear.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

For Washington State the minimum draw weight is 40lbs, needless to say that isn't what I would pack to hunt a Grizz. (which I don't believed is allowed in this state anyway.)

Latest Discussions