Going to organize Bear hunt using tradittional Japanese Archery Equipment

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several of us have past and current archery experience and it has long been my desire to organize a bear hunt here using traditional Japanese long Bow. We have a very large agressive Brown Bear Grizzly Bear population. People pay over $10,000 each to come here to hunt we can do it for free. I have friends here that have on a regular basis used compound bows but no one has used a traditional long bow. Any thoughts? I found a really great site for equipment not sure on hunting arrows yet? 4-5 of us are really jazzed about doing it.

I have been told difference betweein high powered gun in wounding a bear they just keep comming and I can name alot of people mauled baddly or killed but in the case of an arrow I am told they stop and swat at the arrow I just want to make sure its not to pick his teeth with after he eats me?

Suggestions of several large guns behind but that would take away from the life and death struggle of it all? Oh Bear spray? thats just seasoning here!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or perhaps just live and let live? The bears are aggressive? funnily enough I believe home invasions are illegal in the USA so I'd say the bears were right to be aggressive when having their homes invaded. Hunting for food is one thing, hunting and killing just because you can is just pointless.

yeah yeah I miss the point, the glory, the thrill of the chase, man's destiny and all that stuff. :disgust:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Are you an experienced hunter? What about an experienced bow hunter? I presume so, but I'm just asking. Because if you're not an experienced bow hunter, why would you even consider hunting an Alaskan brown or grizzly bear with a long bow? It sounds like the height of stupidity to me.

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
or perhaps just live and let live? The bears are aggressive? funnily enough I believe home invasions are illegal in the USA so I'd say the bears were right to be aggressive when having their homes invaded. Hunting for food is one thing, hunting and killing just because you can is just pointless.

yeah yeah I miss the point, the glory, the thrill of the chase, man's destiny and all that stuff. :disgust:

We eat what we kill here bear is good and we use all the parts not to mention other parts I will not go into and on the other side Moose which is very important to the food chain here are desimated by the early kills when calving so I suggest you understand about life here first the lower 48 think we ar thier private park try living and surviviing here first

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you an experienced hunter? What about an experienced bow hunter? I presume so, but I'm just asking. Because if you're not an experienced bow hunter, why would you even consider hunting an Alaskan brown or grizzly bear with a long bow? It sounds like the height of stupidity to me.
Yes with other bow and other large animals but a charging bull moose can be extremly dangerous you get a preference in tag and season to use a bow. But your right on the one point

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We eat what we kill here bear is good and we use all the parts not to mention other parts I will not go into and on the other side Moose which is very important to the food chain here are desimated by the early kills when calving so I suggest you understand about life here first the lower 48 think we ar thier private park try living and surviviing here first

You may use all the parts of the animal but the hunters that come and shoot bears just because they can? If you kill only for the meat etc why the macho stuff at the end of your post? 'the life and death struggle' that doesn't sound like substinance hunting to me.

Yes I can hunt, for food not for the 'life and death' struggle, to make myself feel good. it's a practical activity done with practical tools not tools using hunting to go on an ego trip.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Several of us have past and current archery experience and it has long been my desire to organize a bear hunt here using traditional Japanese long Bow. We have a very large agressive Brown Bear Grizzly Bear population. People pay over $10,000 each to come here to hunt we can do it for free. I have friends here that have on a regular basis used compound bows but no one has used a traditional long bow. Any thoughts? I found a really great site for equipment not sure on hunting arrows yet? 4-5 of us are really jazzed about doing it.

I guess the first question is; are you well versed in the use of the yumi? And aren't hunting arrows going to be tough to come by? The Japanese arrows are pretty long compared to recurve or compound bows.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may be wrong -- but I don't believe that "traditional Japanese bows" were meant for hunting. I don't think I'd want to deal with a wounded Grizzly or even brown bear...

There are probably better ideas around...

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You may use all the parts of the animal but the hunters that come and shoot bears just because they can? If you kill only for the meat etc why the macho stuff at the end of your post? 'the life and death struggle' that doesn't sound like substinance hunting to me.

Yes I can hunt, for food not for the 'life and death' struggle, to make myself feel good. it's a practical activity done with practical tools not tools using hunting to go on an ego trip.

And please tell me what you know about subsistance hunting what native peoples have you lived with hunted with eaten with still killing and hunting similar to 10,000 years ago? true subsistance was and is at some time dangerous and life ending here every year monthly weekly what ever even dying to collect eggs. You cannot speak to it from your vantage. Alot of warrior spirit is talked about on the forums here but here it is every day part of life and it is special experience to be taught by the elders and become part of the hunt yes your right about people who pay to just come in and kill however that does serve a purpose in bringing income to low income poverty level natives here and supports increase in moose population. I may have jumped in a little and only focused on the hunt in fact the target practice use and spirit of the formal use of the bow will be 99% of what we do but we kill and eat whales we kill and eat seals infact there is not a single animal we do not kill and eat even at times close to Russia on the Island in fog hold up a net just out your door and eat what ever comes in. These are the last of American natives that still hunt and kill traditional food almost same as 10,000 years ago and any martial artist who has ever visited me has been truly blessed for it to experience these people and culture. I have been with many Koreans who expressed the need to drink the blood soon after a kill that is warrior nature at its base.

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess the first question is; are you well versed in the use of the yumi? And aren't hunting arrows going to be tough to come by? The Japanese arrows are pretty long compared to recurve or compound bows.
Yes you are correct and we may well use different materials but in the thread at least we are getting to know different people and points of view. Its likely we will be using two types of bows and the majority of the summer activity will be target shooting but Moose Muskox and bear will still be a goal this year.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe try and hunt some smaller animals first. Work up to deer and see how the bow drives the arrow home. Once you get a feel for it and you think it might be up to the task, then take the risk. BTW bear steaks are yummy...but not worth getting killed over.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't try. A Japanese bow is constructed differently, drawn differently, aimed differently, sized differently, released differently, they're gripped differently, the arrows are sized differently, and more. With no experience with a Japanese bow, you're just setting yourself up for failure if a Japanese archery experience is what you're aiming for.

If you're not experienced with it, don't pick it up.

EDIT: And honestly, the idea of hunting a grizzly bear just so you can try out a new toy you have no understanding of I find rather unsettling, honestly.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't try. A Japanese bow is constructed differently, drawn differently, aimed differently, sized differently, released differently, they're gripped differently, the arrows are sized differently, and more. With no experience with a Japanese bow, you're just setting yourself up for failure if a Japanese archery experience is what you're aiming for.

If you're not experienced with it, don't pick it up.

EDIT: And honestly, the idea of hunting a grizzly bear just so you can try out a new toy you have no understanding of I find rather unsettling, honestly.

I don't find it unsettling as much as intensely dumb.

You're going to be eaten by a grizzly bear if you try that. Bears are dangerous.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well the bear has a better chance against someone with a Yumi. I have to say my money is on the bear if within 70 yards.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't find it unsettling as much as intensely dumb.

You're going to be eaten by a grizzly bear if you try that. Bears are dangerous.

Natural selection at work. Somewhere, Charles Darwin is smirking to himself.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the bear has a better chance against someone with a Yumi. I have to say my money is on the bear if within 70 yards.

Your right and even with a gun here if they charge from the Willows lets say 50 to 100 feet the bear can do some real damage before it dies even with a fatal wound. Thats why I like the S&W 500 with 500 grain loads the only pistol to penetrate an Elephants skull 28 inches. its also why I don't camp in a tent here. my farthest North Dojang 700 miles from the North Pole had 250 Polar Bears stranded one summer in town due to ice going out to far. It was stressfull for everyone including my student to walk anywhere. We had to kill one in front of our DoJang they used flash bank load to scare they even tried to push it with a loader it jumped in the bucket no choice. That mad me sad they are beautiful to watch and endangered the brown bears are not. I truly do hate people killing just for the sake of killing. We have beautiful red fox at times in the winter we feed and some people freak out and want to kill them our DoJang had a 42 foot fishing trawler for the students to fish and feed the elders and we had wild Mink comming on the boat to eat bait and people would say hey kill them its a Mink yeh two of them not enough for a glove? that pisses me off. Beautifil clothes made from Muskrats but they eat them too. not bad tastes like chicken actually similar to squiral tatsty.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the draw for a Japanese bow? How does it compare to other bows that people use for bear? I've bow hunted black bear in MN and we were pulling 80 lbs. What kind of arrows are you going to use? What kind of heads? The stuff that sportsmen use to kill bear might not transfer to a Japanese bow system.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the thing... with the design of a Japanese bow (with two-thirds above your hand, and one third underneath, as well as the construction materials and so on) mean that comparisons with Western bows draw-strength doesn't actually mean much. The Japanese bow is designed to generate greater power with lower actual draw-power required. As far as arrows, due to the different drawing method, the arrows are personalised, rather than standardised... and good luck finding hunting heads for them.

Almost nothing from Western archery for hunting transfers that well to Japanese archery until sufficient skill and experience with Japanese archery is attained.

Latest Discussions