GM Lee, Byung Moo

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the January 2008 issue of TKD Times there's an article about GM Lee, Byung Moo. It talks about him being an early Chung Do Kwan student (Gen. Choi-era) & then later Gen. Choi's "right hand man from 1955 to 1972". According to this article, he & the General had a falling out & he's kept a low profile, just quietly teaching in the USA since. I've seen a few lists of early CDK students & not seen his name. Can anyone give me more info on him? I figure with his closeness with the General he'd leave his footprint somewhere.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He taught mostly in NYC, He is a great man it is about time he is recognized for his work and dedication. He now owns a martial arts supply company in the city.

His son Mike now has his own school in Long Island, Masters Martial Arts

Both these sites recognize him.

http://www.lacancha.com/tkdpioneers.html
[URL="http://www.taekwondopioneers.com/pioneers.html"]http://www.taekwondopioneers.com/pioneers.html[/URL]

Thanks for this! I had never heard of him. But after the TKDTimes article I realized that he is a major figure in TKD history.

Nicky Tay

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for this! I had never heard of him. But after the TKDTimes article I realized that he is a major figure in TKD history.
I was privileged to train under GM Lee Byung Moo in Singapore as a beginner in 1967 until I attained 2nd Dan in 1971. Before Mr Lee, the instructors in Singapore were Kim Bok Man and Rhee Ki Ha. Many of the great pioneers of TKD including Nam Tae Hi, Choi Chang Kyong, Woo Jae Lim, Han Cha Kyo (who succeeded Lee Byung Moo in Singapore) often visited Singapore. During his stint in Singapore, Mr Lee Byung Moo and his assistant Mr Lee Joon Jae coached the Singapore team which performed admirably at the First & Second Asian TKD Tournaments in 1969 and 1971. Mr Lee Byung Moo was a well-respected instructor in Singapore at a time when the martial art was all the rage. His lovely wife, Mrs Lee, was as well-liked. Mr Lee distinguished himself as a great TKD proponent and an exemplary leader. I have always thought of him as a true gentleman. He had the cut of a polished diplomat and I am sure he has done Korea proud. If anyone on this forum is aware of Mr Lee's whereabouts, I would be grateful to be informed so that I may write to him.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was privileged to train under GM Lee Byung Moo in Singapore as a beginner in 1967 until I attained 2nd Dan in 1971. Before Mr Lee, the instructors in Singapore were Kim Bok Man and Rhee Ki Ha. Many of the great pioneers of TKD including Nam Tae Hi, Choi Chang Kyong, Woo Jae Lim, Han Cha Kyo (who succeeded Lee Byung Moo in Singapore) often visited Singapore. During his stint in Singapore, Mr Lee Byung Moo and his assistant Mr Lee Joon Jae coached the Singapore team which performed admirably at the First & Second Asian TKD Tournaments in 1969 and 1971. Mr Lee Byung Moo was a well-respected instructor in Singapore at a time when the martial art was all the rage. His lovely wife, Mrs Lee, was as well-liked. Mr Lee distinguished himself as a great TKD proponent and an exemplary leader. I have always thought of him as a true gentleman. He had the cut of a polished diplomat and I am sure he has done Korea proud. If anyone on this forum is aware of Mr Lee's whereabouts, I would be grateful to be informed so that I may write to him.

You may want to try to reach GM Lee through his son, Master Michael Lee, who has a school in New York (Long Island). There is contact information on his website (Karate & Mix Martial Arts Center-School for Kids Syosset, NY - Masters Martial Arts & Fitness).

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions