Giving up anything for Lent?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is anyone giving up anything that they want to share or maintain accountability on for Lent?

Me and my wife are giving up soda (diet and regular) and all junk food, including chips, cookies, etc.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is anyone giving up anything that they want to share or maintain accountability on for Lent?

Me and my wife are giving up soda (diet and regular) and all junk food, including chips, cookies, etc.

I hadn't really come up with anything, to be honest.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to give things up for Lent, but I stopped after a while. I live a pretty boring life so there wasn't much that meaningful to give - I don't drink or smoke, I'm chronically single, I don't party, and so forth. So one year I decided to give up giving things up for Lent for Lent, and it's worked just fine.

In fact, one thing I'm terrible at is indulging myself. I'm compulsively cheap and I don't have much of a sense of fun. Maybe that should be my "sacrifice" - challenging that status quo. For the next 40 days I vow to treat myself better and do one nice thing for myself each day. This morning I got myself a fabulous pair of new shoes for work and my feet were just groaning with pleasure all day. Tomorrow? Ballroom dance. Both were already on my schedule but that's okay. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive, but that's my commitment for Lent. Anyone who wants to is welcome to hold me accountable. :uhyeah:

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No nothing in particular. Observing standard lenten fasting (one meal per day) and technically the current Code of Canon Law (1983) still requires abstinence from flesh meats on the Fridays of Lent but our household observes abstinence from flesh meats on all Fridays of the year anyway.

I have a series of meditations for Lent which I am commencing over the Lenten period, taken from Alphonsus de Ligouri's "Eternal Maxims".

Same thing we do every year, Pinky. We have three major fasting periods in our household though - Lent, then one from the Feast of the Assumption through Michaelmas and another from St Martin's Day which goes through Advent til Christmastide - basically the typical traditional fasts of the Roman Rite.

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A friend's Facebook status read, "For Lent I'm giving up booze. For St. Patrick's Day I'm giving up Lent."

in many areas St Patrick's Day is a 1st Class feast day and thus exempt from Lent anyway. Deo Gratias!

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I think I'll give up Christianity for Lent this year...just kidding, I'm not actually Christian, at least not anymore. However I do see value in giving something up for a bit of time, a fasting of something...tell you what. I going to give up a week of work for Lent. Thats a pretty big one.

-I'm also going on vacation next week. lol

Andrew

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Read the other day about someone giving up sobriety for Lent... planned to only eat or drink beer for the entire period.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doh! Teach me not to read thoroughly before posting. The "giving up sobriety" was part of the (sensationalized) headline from the article I read about him. I'm sure it's the same guy; I read it from a different source that went into a little more depth on the story, and obviously sported a more sensational headline...

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a very real and meaningful religious season for me and has been for a few years. This year I observed strict fasting which for me included no meat (although I did have a piece of salmon two different nights) no dairy, no cooking with oil etc. For me this lasted close to fifty days. The first and last week of lent I just drank water, watered down juice, or water with fresh squeezed lemon juice and a tiny bit of pure maple syrup added to it.

It had been interesting, especially the strict weeks restricted to water and juice. One of the things I learned was how often I use food as a reward or motivator as well as a stress response and how difficult it is to do this on your own. A pleasant minor side effect was some weight loss (20+ pounds)

This year I also for the first time gave up using a bath towel to dry off (partly lent-partly Systema work) after showers restricting myself to using small hand towels to dry. Part to work my shoulders and part to remember physically what the season is to me spiritually.

With the limited meals I saved a lot of time and was able to get a bit more reading done which I enjoyed and saved a bit of coin as well. The money saved I was going to send to Japan but kept it local instead. So many people and countries were donating time and money to Japan that my $500.00 would not make a difference, but to a small shelter it can hopefully make a difference.

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions