Lent - giving anything up?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm semi-catholic - my mother's side of the family is, but I was baptized as some other christian sub category.
I'm still giving up stuff for lent anyway - fast food and television.

(this should be an interesting 40 days)

are you giving anything up?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Orthodox Easter ("Eastern Easter") doesn't start for a while, so I still have time to decide.

I think I'm going to do the traditional fast, or something close to it. It induces a very contemplative tone, which is the point, I think.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a Protestant.....raised in a non-denominational church.....but I still observe Lent most years. This year I am only drinking water during Lent.....so giving up soda, juice, milk, etc. Also, only allowing myself one dessert a week on a particular day......probably Saturday. My husband is giving up caffenated coffee and fried foods.

:asian:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite lent story...

A girlfriend of mine and I were chatting one day. She was mentioning that it was lent and that her kids were trying to give something up for lent. She said it was going pretty good for them. I then asked what she was giving up for lent... she looked me straight in the eye and said "The hardest thing I could think of to give up, and it is taking it toll on me. My kids and husband don't think I can do it."

"What is it?" I asked

"B**ching at them" she said ;)

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I go for my usual: Car Radio. You would be surprised how 'thoughtful' you become when you don't let the white noise and distraction happen. It is really hard.

The whole point isn't that you make temporary sacrifices as much as you use this time to make improving changes by shedding bad habits, bad choices, bad lifestyle issues....
So I give up the radio so I pay more attention to what I am thinking and use that time more effectively.

T

Trainwreck

Oh, how I'd love to give up physics classes for the next forty days ...

... but obviously that isn't the point of Lent. I'm going to try to spend more time with God, just the two of us. If I interpret Lent correctly, it's an occasion to fast and pray, the former of which is not much use in my book without the latter.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Sometimes my Christian friends have asked me for suggestions on what they should give up for Lent (don't know why they bother asking a Jew). My answer to them: Christianity! :D

hahahaha!

thats pretty funny

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am giving up junk food for Lent and quite possible forever, and am engaging in twice daily meditation without fail.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
that is (at least to me would be) a tall order. Good luck with that

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trainwreck said:
Oh, how I'd love to give up physics classes for the next forty days ...

... but obviously that isn't the point of Lent. I'm going to try to spend more time with God, just the two of us. If I interpret Lent correctly, it's an occasion to fast and pray, the former of which is not much use in my book without the latter.
I believe there are 3 things one is suppossed to do during Lent: fast, pray, and give alms.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I believe there are 3 things one is suppossed to do during Lent: fast, pray, and give alms.
Well crud, I'm fresh out of alms... Looks like I have to give up lent again this year.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Well crud, I'm fresh out of alms... Looks like I have to give up lent again this year.
:lol::lol::lol:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Let's see,

I could give up sleep.
No, already did that....

I could give up my paycheck.
No, already do that.....

I could give up time with my loved ones.
No, I work night shift, I already do that.....

I know! I could give up Martial Talk!
Do you think Bob will let me have 40 days off? Maybe if I'm really mean to someone :EG:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig said:
I know! I could give up Martial Talk!
Do you think Bob will let me have 40 days off? Maybe if I'm really mean to someone :EG:
Maybe if you chisel off some of that list ... :rolleyes: :mp5:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Samantha said:
I'm semi-catholic - my mother's side of the family is, but I was baptized as some other christian sub category.
I'm still giving up stuff for lent anyway - fast food and television.

(this should be an interesting 40 days)

are you giving anything up?
Yeah…..abstinence ;)

Latest Discussions