• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings All..

Do you sometimes give away little tastes of your discipline to those outside the MA community?? I have and do..The last person I showed a few moves was so impressed that the next time I saw him he was a 2nd Dan in Kempo..

Little snippets shown to others sometimes are a great way of getting new students in the dojo...

At a Christmas party I spent time teaching my female cousins and Nieces a simple wrist escape
when I heard one say that her boyfriend grabbed her and wouldn't let her go and was going to drag her outside..

I have friends who ask for basic self-defense information all the time... I guess that counts!

Little snippets shown to others sometimes are a great way of getting new students in the dojo...
how true

Also i consider most self-defense classes to be technique give away to non members

I have friends who ask for basic self-defense information all the time... I guess that counts!

Yep..May these seeds of wisdom take root and inspire them forward..

I often do, when they ask or even just look interested.
also, from time to time I will leave the workout area, walk into the spectator area, and start working a technique with a spectator if they appear really interested in what we are doing.
They are surprised, think it's funny, learn a technique, and sometimes end up joining!

I have shown friends of my kids some rudimentary techniques before they started college, and have done a couple of self defense classes for women.

I have in the past, in my empty-hand days, shown techniques to non-MA people.

There was a lot less general knowledge about "Kung Fu" (as everyone called all martial arts back then) and it was a very good way to show people that, no, it wasn't TV BS but actually was useful for dealing with nasty situations.

I don't know if this counts but on Sunday I shall be teaching, if all goes to plan, simple iaido kata to complete novices with no previous background in MA - Sensei has advertised an open seminar for local people who don't know anything about swordwork but who may be interested in learning.

Could be either an uplifting or a difficult day depending on who we get through the door.

Ha! You've shown me whole belt techniques from white to 2nd brown there lil' lady :lol: mwaha ha ha ha now I know it all... but would probably still get my butt kicked if I tried taking you on. :D (giggles)

I've shown a bit here and there when someone asks about my other pursuits and I say (depending upon the person asking) Martial Arts and you get the typical .. "oh? what style? can you show me a bit of something?"
I typically show them only one tech and that's when someone has you by both lapels and is holding you against the wall, you do a gentle downward pressure on the sides of their knee with your foot and they're off balance and ready to get their butt kicked.
The style I say I study is simply JKDI and when asked "what's that?" I usually answer: "...ohh, a bit of this and a bit of that... batman's head on a lance..."

Yes, I don't mind at all showing someone a little something. Like mentioned previously, it may open a person's eyes to some of the many benefits that arts have to offer ... if nothing else, it's usually a great conversation and sometimes ice breaker.

I only show material to help those non martial artists who have a real interest in defending themselves or others. I will never demonstrate any of my material as a form of entertainment for non martial artists.

I haven't, largely because when I've been asked to "show somebody something" they have wanted to know more than what I was capable of teaching. I've walked through basic defense moves that anyone can do (such as tossing a hot cup of coffee on an assailant) and discussed some things to improve situational awareness instead. :)

In a social setting, no. On rare occasion I've been asked, "Show us some of your moves." Personally I don't care for that; anymore than I would ask an artist to draw me something on the spot.

I'll demonstrate technique in a proper demonstration, where I know whom I'm working with. But is with the caveat that I am demonstrating, not teaching. For me anyway, teaching takes place in the dojo.

Ha! You've shown me whole belt techniques from white to 2nd brown there lil' lady :lol: mwaha ha ha ha now I know it all... but would probably still get my butt kicked if I tried taking you on. :D (giggles)

:rolleyes: Only because you were my "practice dummy" and I needed a warm body to beat up before my belt tests.... My previous post was referring to other people.

- Ceicei

For me it's not about giving anything away. I just completely resent it when people ask me to show them my Gongfu. Not because I am not confident or because I don't like martial arts or even that I'm an arsehole, but because you always get after comments like: "If you do that, then I'll do this."

Now I just reply to them: "Sure, if one of you cares to sacrifice their life for me to demonstrate." This is followed by silent respect.

I teach basic self defense moves with a lot of emphasis on situational awareness to non-MA. If running is an option it's your best option.

If they have some martial arts background I show them different ways of attacking using their own style/system (assuming I am familiar in their style). They have been generous in sharing their styles with me as well, so it's a nice exchange of techniques and thinking in new ways for old moves.

If they have been in the MA for awhile then we share combos by sparring.

Usually I am the listener and a constant student.

Unless asked not to teach a certain material I am open with my knowledge.

I only show material to help those non martial artists who have a real interest in defending themselves or others

That's what I'm talking about

LawDog said:
I will never demonstrate any of my material as a form of entertainment for non martial artists.

Same here...

I do sometimes, but very little. The thing is, unless someone really trains, showing them a technique is nearly a fruitless endeavor. They often don't retain it.

For me it's not about giving anything away. I just completely resent it when people ask me to show them my Gongfu. Not because I am not confident or because I don't like martial arts or even that I'm an arsehole, but because you always get after comments like: "If you do that, then I'll do this."

Now I just reply to them: "Sure, if one of you cares to sacrifice their life for me to demonstrate." This is followed by silent respect.

I used to get this crap a lot when i was doing private practice at a local gym's aerobics room - one guy in particular came up and woudn't stop hassling me to "show him something". He said "what would you do if i was really threatening to hurt you?" I said "do you really want to know?" Of course, he says, so i walked over to the door and told one of the gym staff that he was interrupting my training and behaving in a threatening manner. They asked him to leave the gym. Not quite what he had in mind i'm sure... :shrug:

Latest Discussions

Back