Gikan ryu lineage

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just reading a bit on wikipedia about the disputed lineage of Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gikan-ryū_Koppōjutsu

It seems they claim there is a contraversy over who is the current Soke. What is everyones opinion? This is the first I have heard of it... I'm suprised I've not seen it brought up here... or is this one for "The Great Debate"?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully Hatsumi Sensei is Takamatsu Sensei's successor and this is in no way in any doubt. I do not think there is then any doubt onto who the sokeship was passed onto. Instead it was probably split albeit because Takamatsu gave it to someone else earlier and then to his successor Hatsumi Sensei thereby making it split. This in no way changes the fact that Hatsumi Sensei is Takamtsu Sensei's successor.

FudoshinDojo

White Belt
Reaction score
Well in the Genbukan it is held that Tanemura Sensei received Sokeship in Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu in winter of 1989 from Sato Kinbei Soke who had received it from Takamatsu Sensei after the passing of Akimoto Sensei.

There are actual Densho and Makimono for this school, passed on to Tanemura Sensei from Sato Sensei. He has publically displayed them before on the Panther Jujutsu video series, back in the late 90s. He has also shown kata from this ryu at public Tai Kai.

To be honest with you, if your a senior or a junior in Ninpo, I think everyone would agree that at the most only snipets of this ryu-ha has been taught to anyone and who has what doesn't affect the reality of your own personal training. So I would say just enoying your own training would be the most important and don't get caught up in chasing stuff like this.

Besides there is tons of Koppojutsu in Koto ryu :)

sincerely yours,
Brian Hodges
Renshi
GWNBF/KJJR
Fudoshin Dojo-Cho

Latest Discussions