Getting your bell rung

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pain, bruises, thumps, bumps, these are all part of the experience that it is to train MA. As one instructor I had used to say "We bleed in here so we don't bleed out there."

Having said that, if a person truly has their "bell rung", they need to be watched carefully. In many cases, having one's "bell rung" is a common description for a mild concussion. If a person has a spaced look in their eyes, difficulty finding their bearings, etc. they should be evaluated by a qualified medical professional. They should not return to the contact activities until they have been cleared by a physician or comparable expert. A person does not have to loose consciousness completely or for an extended period to be considered to have had a concussion. Also, if they return to contact activities and have another blow of significant force, they are at risk for further neurological damage or even death from second impact syndrome. To make things worst, having had a concussion may reduce their reaction time or concentration to the point that they are impaired in protecting themselves and at increased risk for additional injury.

We all want to learn how to accept pain, injury and fight on, but in a training environment, we also have to learn when to stop to avoid further damage.

There are many different algorithms for return to contact sports activities after a concussion. No one really knows the limits, but it is best to follow at least one of them for safety and liability. If an instructor encourages a student with signs of a concussion to "fight on", they could be held liable for ensuing secondary injuries.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a sensible point to make 7star ... to which I'll respond when I've helped my missus unload the shopping she's just rolled up with :D.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a sensible point to make 7star ... to which I'll respond when I've helped my missus unload the shopping she's just rolled up with :D.

That's a long time to unload. :uhyeah: Must be major shopping...

- Ceicei

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:O. Well that's actually a bit of a board software mystery as I did come back and edit in a more complete response shortly after. I wonder what happened? Perhaps I just switched to another window and didn't click 'Submit'?

I can't replicate that train of thought precisely now but it was along the lines of the fact that avoiding severe injury from your training was very important. For most of us, tho' we love the arts greatly, they fall under the umbrella of leisure or hobby activities - getting killed for your hobby is larger committment than usual :D.

That does have to be balanced tho' with the points some of we more mature posters have made wherein being overly concerned by injury works along side the corrosive Nanny-State attitude that keeps the young so wrapped up and full of their own self-importnace.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
:O. Well that's actually a bit of a board software mystery as I did come back and edit in a more complete response shortly after. I wonder what happened? Perhaps I just switched to another window and didn't click 'Submit'?

I can't replicate that train of thought precisely now but it was along the lines of the fact that avoiding severe injury from your training was very important. For most of us, tho' we love the arts greatly, they fall under the umbrella of leisure or hobby activities - getting killed for your hobby is larger committment than usual :D.

That does have to be balanced tho' with the points some of we more mature posters have made wherein being overly concerned by injury works along side the corrosive Nanny-State attitude that keeps the young so wrapped up and full of their own self-importnace.

Couldn't agree more. But with stories like the one about the instructor who subjected their student to 200 kicks in the name of interschool competition, I feel that there are some who go too far. Many students are in the teenage/young adult demogrpahic, these kids (particularly young males or females who want to be "accepted" as tough enough to belong) can end up with long term damage in the name of machismo or "shaking it off".

It is not an issue of being overly concerned, but of being properly educated to acknlowledge the potential impact of our hobby on a person's life. I've seen it in American high school football, where some players have actually died because the culture was one of "shaking it off" and not admitting "weakness" of an head injury/concussion, leading to continued participation and subsequent second impacts.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have a very good way of expressing your core view in such a fashion as to make people think on it with deeper consideration :tup:.

Latest Discussions