Getting teeth embedded into your hands

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
One thing I've seen multiple times now are people ( particularly medical workers ) speaking of guys coming in at 2 am in the morning with teeth stuck in their knuckles from punching someone in the mouth. Now at first I thought what was the big deal, but when I heard that It could get infected and possibly be forced to be amputated it got my attention.

Heres my question, does this happen ONLY when you punch someone directly in the mouth? Would punching someone in the jaw/cheek area not produce this effect ( although you can still feel someone's teeth through the cheek ). Also, does this same thing happen with palm strikes? Or does the fact that the surface area of the strike being so much bigger stop that from happening.

I'd much rather aim for the nose in a fight...but you never know when the opponent will move his head those few inches.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think, the trick is to be aware that if you strike into the bite you will get bit; so upper-cuts to the front of the face just under the nose, are a bad idea. Weapon to target classes are a must. It is also something to consider that, over all, you are faster if you slow down enough, in your actions, to choose a target, and strike it with good form than to flurry strikes without regard for your own personal safety. I actually heard someone brag to me that they hit someone so many times in the face that they broke all the bones in their hand. He will never know, or admit to himself, that he was just an idiot. LOL
Sean

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you end up with somebody’s teeth in your knuckles after the fight you probably did something…well not quite wrong, but not quite right either. But if it happens so long as the cuts treated and you don’t have any foreign bodies in your arm the risk of infection is minimal. The real problem is if the guy who’s teeth were in your hand had something infectious.
:)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you end up with somebody’s teeth in your knuckles after the fight you probably did something…well not quite wrong, but not quite right either. But if it happens so long as the cuts treated and you don’t have any foreign bodies in your arm the risk of infection is minimal. The real problem is if the guy who’s teeth were in your hand had something infectious.
If you end up with teeth in your hand, you have to admit, it would seem quite a wrong thing, and time for his buddy to join in the fun. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the very first UFC match, Gerard Gordeau kicked a downed Teila Tuli, square in the mouth with a roundhouse kick. He knocked out three teeth, but two of them were embedded in his foot for the rest of the night. I have heard that he got a nasty infection that lasted many months.

Fighting can be nasty. Stuff happens.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

Absolutely !! I would suggest you treat such and injury as a MEDICAL EMERGENCY! Get treatment for possible infectious contamination of a wound, and a human bite is about the same risk as that of a timber rattlers !! Cops get bit, they get to ER and get all kinds of treatment fast for a reason!.

that said not normally a wound that happens unless you do hit an open mouth..... but it can ...

Latest Discussions