Spouse as Training Partner

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I greatly enjoy doing Tai Chi and Qi Gong forms with my wife...... but then, I enjoy doing things I usually don't like when she is part of it.

Would I practice any martial applications on her? No, no....... I do have to fall asleep sometime....

simplicity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cool subject...... I*_*I

My wife trains at my school the I own.....She started off in Kickboxing (2yrs) and has moved on into Jeet Kune Do for three years now.....She really don't like training take down's, ground work in my other classes.....We been married for many moons and when things aren't going so well, we put on the gloves.....She tries to beat the crap out of me, LOL..... I take it; once in a while give her something to just keep it real........not to much power. Then things are better and we laugh about why we were upset with each other in the first place....

Keep "IT" Real,
John McNabney

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train with my husband in both Arnis and Muay Thai and it's actually what I prefer. We also do hard sparring with each other both in the gym and practice at home.

For Arnis, we are able to bounce ideas off of each other (for example, figuring out where you can go or what you can do after the move) and help each other if a move isn't working right. I just don't get that kind of feedback from anyone else. And feedback is important to my training. We do bicker sometimes, but it's always about the move, I think it's one way, he thinks it's another. We don't bicker about sparring or going "too rough". It's martial arts, it happens. And it should.

I like working with him in MT because I know he'll actually hit me and he doesn't pull his punches. The only kick he pulls are ones to the head and that's only because I'm just not quick enough in blocking those. Yet. Once I am, then he will stop pulling them. I don't pull anything when we spar. Just ask him about my knee power. ;)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have drilled my wife in defenses from a seated position as she flys alot..We've done weapon disarms and joints locks and she is quite good...

Barimacan

White Belt
Reaction score
I wish i could get her out to train. Anyone have any suggestions on how?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My sweetie and I run the school together. We love to spar each other or work sticks, ground fighting, whatever. And she kicks my butt!