Getting On The Mat

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone that teaches, obviously gets on the mat with the students. However, I'm referring more to getting on the mat with others outside of your usual group. Do you compete, have a get together with another school for a day of sparring, etc?

Is this something that you do? Is this something that you feel is important or are you happy to just teach and pass on your knowledge?

Mike

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone that teaches, obviously gets on the mat with the students. However, I'm referring more to getting on the mat with others outside of your usual group. Do you compete, have a get together with another school for a day of sparring, etc?

Is this something that you do? Is this something that you feel is important or are you happy to just teach and pass on your knowledge?

We had 5 of our black belts go to a tournament up in Missoulla, MT a week ago, that was fun, it got us away from the regulars that we compete with on the local circuit. Point sparring isn't a real "fight" by any means, but you are still out there, with some emotional incentive that we don't get in our regular class. I don't compete much anymore, but I try to make two tournaments a year.

And for something completely different, my main kali training partner and I are talking about going to Cali next year to hit a Dog Brothers event.

Lamont

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had 5 of our black belts go to a tournament up in Missoulla, MT a week ago, that was fun, it got us away from the regulars that we compete with on the local circuit. Point sparring isn't a real "fight" by any means, but you are still out there, with some emotional incentive that we don't get in our regular class. I don't compete much anymore, but I try to make two tournaments a year.

Cool!! I just figure its a good way to 'test' yourself against others. :)

And for something completely different, my main kali training partner and I are talking about going to Cali next year to hit a Dog Brothers event.

Lamont

Hey, good luck if you go!!

Mike

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm leary of the tournament circuit here in the pacific northwest. A few of the major school owners and promoters are such outrageous jerks that I don't want my students seeing a black belt act like that.

I do, however, get together as often as possible with solid, good-natured martial artists in the local area to tussle and trade dirty tricks.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is only one other school affiliated with ours that's about an hour away. We do an instructors tournament once, or twice a year. We all get along very well and it's a great experience.

As for tournaments, we go to the USCKF national tournament held in Baltimore every July. Other than that, there are only a few tournaments a year that we attend.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I am NOT a school owner I can only say that is why attending a seminars or police sponsored schools are real important to me..The chance to work and train with someone you don't know...

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The style/school I had been associated with the past 3 or so years did not only discourage it, they pretty much forbid it. This is merely one of the many reason I left this style. I believe getting out there and working with various styles is a fantastic way to see what works and what doesn't. It also allows an individual to pick up other thoughts on techniques. I am a firm believer in the open mind. My current style encourages 'mixing it up' with any and all others, and beyond that, bringing back what you have learned to incorporate it into you fighting style.

Latest Discussions