Getting Lost in Kiwiland...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife and I are both teachers and we are planning on taking a few years to teach in New Zealand. I was wondering if people who have been to New Zealand or that live there would be willing to post in this thread about their experiences and maybe answer a few questions.

Things that we would like to know...

1. North Island or South?
2. Where are some beautiful cities that would be great to raise children?
3. We are looking for places to live that have a great mix of culture (including martial arts) and outdoor opportunities, particularly fishing, hunting, camping, backpacking, etc. Any recommendations?
4. Our list is much longer then this, but this is a good start...

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Hey!! No stealing my title!! :(

1) I can't say much about the south island, except that from what I hear it's cold down there. :D I've spent all my time on the North Island.

2) If you come to the North island, the natives are sort of seperated into 2 distinct groups. Auckland'ers, and everyone else. Neither group really hates each other, but I doubt they sit at the bar together much. If you're into small rural communities, just about anywhere will suit you well. As far as city life goes, there's Auckland (largest city in NZ @ about 1.3mil people) and Wellington (capital). Auckland is like your normal city, so raising kids might be better left to other places. YMMV.

3) MA's are kind of limited from what I've researched, unless you're a Karate or TKD fan. Even then, you'll be constrained toward a city center. Since it takes approximately 12-13 hours to drive from one end of the NI to the other, all of the outdoorsy activities you listed are all within driving distance. That said, the south island is apparently where it's at for camping/backpacking.

4) If you have anymore questions, I'm sure the native kiwi's will chime in here shortly, or you can always PM me for the "damn Yank" view of things. :D

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hamilton... :)

From Hamilton you can find just about anything within a 2 hour drive, beaches, snow sports, walking tracks, biking tracks...if you like walking/biking Rotorua is the place to go, about an hours drive from Hamilton. There are also a few small hikes pretty close by, and Auckland is about 1.5 hours drive for all the city life you can stomach. Auckland is kinda like a slightly smaller verson of Sydney.

If you want more MA options, defiantly Wellington or Auckland....if I had to choose id go for Auckland as Wellington is really windy (and that’s where our politicians hang out).

The South Island is very pretty (and cold) it’s much more of a touristy place to go, although has some nice cities like Christchurch. Just stay away from the west coast and the strange farmers that haven’t seen people for a while.

But hey...when you get here drop us a line :)

And yes...the people here are out numbered 10 to 1 by sheep!

oh...and dont be offended, by Kiwi's lovenly refer to Americans as 'those damn yanks'..lol

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the advice! My wife and I are definitely more interested in the South Island because there are less people and more outdoor opportunities. Right now, Canterbury and Otago are our choices. We don't really care about the cold because, where we live right now, it gets ALOT colder then it does even down there.

Anyway, there are three areas that we are looking at and, on which we are doing more research. We like the cities of Christchurch and Dunedin and we also like the Nelson area. I think it would be easier to find a job in the Christchurch area, but who knows? And another thing that Christchurch has going for it is that there are a surprising number of MA schools. For example, they have a pretty good BJJ club. I'd probably give that a go. Again, who knows?

One thing that I'm curious about is New Zealand's teacher shortage. Everyone I talk to in Kiwiland says that this is a real thing and that my wife and I could basically find work anywhere because of it. I'm wondering why there is such a shortage?

Again, thanks for the help, and I'm definitely going to spend some time on the West Coast...people who haven't seen people in a while...we got some of those around here...it'll remind me of home.

And Sarah, because you mentioned it, I'll give Hamilton a closer look.

upnorthkyosa

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
*snip*

... I'm definitely going to spend some time on the West Coast...people who haven't seen people in a while...we got some of those around here...it'll remind me of home...

*snip*
:eek:

Ever seen Deliverance? You want to?

:D (no, that's not a proposition)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
:eek:

Ever seen Deliverance? You want to?

:D (no, that's not a proposition)

Yeah, I've seen Deliverence...its called Douglas County Wisconsin.

"Squeal like a Moose, der hey!"

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Hey, thanks for the advice! My wife and I are definitely more interested in the South Island because there are less people and more outdoor opportunities. Right now, Canterbury and Otago are our choices. We don't really care about the cold because, where we live right now, it gets ALOT colder then it does even down there.

Anyway, there are three areas that we are looking at and, on which we are doing more research. We like the cities of Christchurch and Dunedin and we also like the Nelson area. I think it would be easier to find a job in the Christchurch area, but who knows? And another thing that Christchurch has going for it is that there are a surprising number of MA schools. For example, they have a pretty good BJJ club. I'd probably give that a go. Again, who knows?

One thing that I'm curious about is New Zealand's teacher shortage. Everyone I talk to in Kiwiland says that this is a real thing and that my wife and I could basically find work anywhere because of it. I'm wondering why there is such a shortage?

Again, thanks for the help, and I'm definitely going to spend some time on the West Coast...people who haven't seen people in a while...we got some of those around here...it'll remind me of home.

And Sarah, because you mentioned it, I'll give Hamilton a closer look.

upnorthkyosa

I'd personally pass on Otago, as that is a BIG TIME collage town, they are called scaffies, and they totally own Otago. Although the cost of living there is very low.

North Island has just as much outdoors stuff as the south, just on a different scale (ie; weekend hiking where as in the south island you can go into the wilderness and never be seen again). We also have better fishing spots.

The reason why there are less people in the south is because it is mostly farm country and protected bushes.

As for the teaching, im not really sure, could be because Kiwi's are big on going overseas, we have shortages on qualified people in general as people get degrees and take off on there OE's.

Christchurch is a really nice city, it has a very english influence, whereas Dunedin is a Scottish settlement. Billy Connelly once said the Scotts settled in Dunedin because it was overcast and miserable so reminded them of home.

I have been around the south island once when I was a teenager, the funny thing is more North Islanders have travelled to Aussie than to the south Island...the cost of travel down there is stupid, it is cheaper to get a plane ticket to Sydney than to Christchurch.

Good luck with your research.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I'd personally pass on Otago, as that is a BIG TIME collage town, they are called scaffies, and they totally own Otago. Although the cost of living there is very low.

The lower cost of living is very attractive to us. We currently live in an area in the US that has a lower cost of living and THAT is responsible for us having the financial position to even think about moving to Kiwi land.

Anyway, Dunedin is known as a party town, eh?

North Island has just as much outdoors stuff as the south, just on a different scale (ie; weekend hiking where as in the south island you can go into the wilderness and never be seen again). We also have better fishing spots.

This is good to know. Realistically, we know that we could end up anywhere, so I'm glad there is a comparison. Also, as a geology guy, the active volcanoes, active faults, and hydrothermal stuff would be particularly interesting. I would have a blast teaching students about that stuff and then actually taking them there to see what I'm talking about.

OTOH, we are also a big fan of the wopwops. I guide people into our local wilderness area here in the US, so the "never to be seen again" is attractive. I think this is one of the reasons why we are, at this moment, preferring the south island.

The reason why there are less people in the south is because it is mostly farm country and protected bushes.

Again, we kind of like this. When my wife and I first considered moving far away, we considered Alaska. Our dream was to move to the Bush and teach in an Inuit school for a few years and then move to a bigger city. Things changed, however, we had children, I got a good job, etc.

Now, with the prospect of budget cuts in our district and the possibility of having to move, all options are on the table again and we are dusting off all of those old dreams we put away for a while.

One of the things that New Zealand has going for it is that it isn't as big, by a long shot, as Alaska. This makes actually visiting the different places more possible.

As for the teaching, im not really sure, could be because Kiwi's are big on going overseas, we have shortages on qualified people in general as people get degrees and take off on there OE's.

Interesting. I guess the same mentality exists all over. When we moved to Duluth, we found that most of the younger, more local, and educated, population was rather incredulous. The current trend here has been to move away and see something new.

Christchurch is a really nice city, it has a very english influence, whereas Dunedin is a Scottish settlement. Billy Connelly once said the Scotts settled in Dunedin because it was overcast and miserable so reminded them of home.

I've heard that ChCh is often described as Boston only smaller and more compact. That sounds really nice to me. My profession is a people profession, so that means that I need to move where people are.

Dunedin sounds alot like Duluth, btw. We are located on the shores of Lake Superior, so our weather is always cloudy, cold (you guys say cold and I have to suppress a little laughter. The average temp in Duluth in January is about -10 C - good for skiing and ice fishing) and rather miserable. Summers are nice here, though.

I have been around the south island once when I was a teenager, the funny thing is more North Islanders have travelled to Aussie than to the south Island...the cost of travel down there is stupid, it is cheaper to get a plane ticket to Sydney than to Christchurch.

That is unfortunate. I suppose this really causes a cultural separation between the south and the north islands?

Good luck with your research.

Thanks. And thank you, Sarah, for your help. My wife and I have been reading everything we can get our hands on, which makes the opinions of people who actually live there even more important.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Upnorth how is the pay and living expenses compared to here in the states?

My wife and I are looking into going to Korea for the summer and teaching ESL and doing some training while we are there.
Terry

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Upnorth how is the pay and living expenses compared to here in the states?

Alot of that depends on where you go. Here are a couple of websites that are a huge help and are very informative in a general sort of way.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopportunities/
http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/

The "going to Korea" plan sounds like a wonderful opportunity. However, if I remember correctly, you were a math teacher? If so, you could find work just about anywhere in NZ. Especially in Auckland, where most of the MA opportunities are located.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
My wife and I are both teachers and we are planning on taking a few years to teach in New Zealand. I was wondering if people who have been to New Zealand or that live there would be willing to post in this thread about their experiences and maybe answer a few questions.

Things that we would like to know...

1. North Island or South?
2. Where are some beautiful cities that would be great to raise children?
3. We are looking for places to live that have a great mix of culture (including martial arts) and outdoor opportunities, particularly fishing, hunting, camping, backpacking, etc. Any recommendations?
4. Our list is much longer then this, but this is a good start...

1) North Island for people and mroe things to do, but it is nothign like USA night life.

South Island if you really want to get lost and see nice land scapes and visit glaciers and or drive up a nice mountain.

2) Aukland is the biggest and all were friendly there, otherwise I only have experience in Queenstown in the South Island that is much smaller and also mostly tourist type town and local support.

3) North Island and Auckland had a nice Museum for the Maori's and WW II history. The South as I stated with Puget Sound is one of the nicest places to go fishing, but one can visit this area quite easily if already in NZ.

4) If you are like me and like your bacon well down, just ask for Crispy Bacon, they will look at you funny, but the locals will still accomadate you. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the links
Me and my wife was thinking about leaving for a couple of years, it has just got to duel for the better word here in the states. I retired from teaching because here you can't really teach it is pass them or get rid of them no time to get them to that point of realism.
Thank You
Terry

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Also, as a geology guy, the active volcanoes, active faults, and hydrothermal stuff would be particularly interesting. I would have a blast teaching students about that stuff and then actually taking them there to see what I'm talking about.

OMG, you would Loooove Rotorua then (although it smells bad), but also has the best walking tracks and mountain bike tracks going for it..

Also Auckland is built on an active volcano, but if your not in to big city life id stay away, plus its filled with JAFAS (just another ****en Aucklander)..lol

Im sure its tough doing the research because most web sites about New Zealand is from a tourist point of view, and tells you all the nice and pretty things about New Zealand, but not the 'real' stuff. (im sure OUMoose could tell you that stuff)

Kiwi's are bad drivers, we tend to be a little relaxed about..well...almost everything, everything but sports that is!

Don&#8217;t bother tipping people here, we actually get paid to do our jobs :)

Shops close at 5pm most nights...not everything delivers...we still don&#8217;t have unlimited downloads on Broadband, in fact about 60% of Kiwis are still on dialup (ahhhhhhhh).

But then theres are good stuff...like you just dont hear about mugings. Well there was this one woman who got muged, and it was on the news everynight for like a week! There's no shootings in schools etc...

All and all New Zealands a pretty cool place to live, its a nice pace of life :)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Just make sure you have legal documents written up and kept in multiple places in the contingency that anything happens to you here that might require medical care (like say, a paper cut), that you are to be immediately and expeditiously (sp?) sent back to the states for treatment. I won't go into detail here, but my opinion of the health system down here is, shall we say, "less than impressed".

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
1) North Island for people and mroe things to do, but it is nothign like USA night life.

South Island if you really want to get lost and see nice land scapes and visit glaciers and or drive up a nice mountain.
I think the lack of nightlife goes along with the laid back tone of the general population. That said, there are a good number of shows/taverns/music venues in the city centers.

Rich Parsons said:
2) Aukland is the biggest and all were friendly there, otherwise I only have experience in Queenstown in the South Island that is much smaller and also mostly tourist type town and local support.
Aucklander's will be suprisingly friendly compared to a New Yorker or resident of Los Angeles, but they're still city folk. Give 'em a wide berth. Haven't been to the south island, yet, so I can't comment on Queenstown nor Christchurch, Otago, Dunedin, or Invercargill.

Rich Parsons said:
3) North Island and Auckland had a nice Museum for the Maori's and WW II history. The South as I stated with Puget Sound is one of the nicest places to go fishing, but one can visit this area quite easily if already in NZ.
I have been to the Auckland Museum, and it indeed has an exceptional war memorial exhibit which is a permanent fixture that takes up the entire top floor. Someday, when I get some time and motivation, I'll put up some pictures if you're interested.

Rich Parsons said:
4) If you are like me and like your bacon well down, just ask for Crispy Bacon, they will look at you funny, but the locals will still accomadate you. :)
The bacon wasn't what threw me off to begin with. It was that everything involving breakfast has a tomato with it, or tomato sauce. Ever had ketchup on a sausage mcmuffin? It's a little disconcerting, but it grows on ya. :) And yes, it's Tomato Sauce, not Ketchup.... and it's gherkins, not pickles. Oh, and if you want some dill pickles, you need to make em or bring them from home. :D

The tipping thing feels strange a first too, since we're almost trained to do it. About the only person I still tip is the pizza deliveries, and strangely enough my pizzas always show up on time and hot. :D funny that. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
I think the lack of nightlife goes along with the laid back tone of the general population. That said, there are a good number of shows/taverns/music venues in the city centers.

Aucklander's will be suprisingly friendly compared to a New Yorker or resident of Los Angeles, but they're still city folk. Give 'em a wide berth. Haven't been to the south island, yet, so I can't comment on Queenstown nor Christchurch, Otago, Dunedin, or Invercargill.

I have been to the Auckland Museum, and it indeed has an exceptional war memorial exhibit which is a permanent fixture that takes up the entire top floor. Someday, when I get some time and motivation, I'll put up some pictures if you're interested.

The bacon wasn't what threw me off to begin with. It was that everything involving breakfast has a tomato with it, or tomato sauce. Ever had ketchup on a sausage mcmuffin? It's a little disconcerting, but it grows on ya. :) And yes, it's Tomato Sauce, not Ketchup.... and it's gherkins, not pickles. Oh, and if you want some dill pickles, you need to make em or bring them from home. :D

The tipping thing feels strange a first too, since we're almost trained to do it. About the only person I still tip is the pizza deliveries, and strangely enough my pizzas always show up on time and hot. :D funny that. :)

Pictures would be cool!

Aucklanders were nice to me, but then agian most people are either nice or afraid. :(

Yes, the Tomato thing was not normal but I had no problem with it.

Yes, I asked the bell hop about tipping and he told me no tipping or for very rare and exceptional service. So I tipped him, and he was shocked. I explained that now I knew how not to offend or make an scene, and fit in better and I really liked that and appreciated it.

I wish I could go back, maybe in the future. If I am lucky work will send me again, there for Winter testing at the Waiorau Snow Farm and Summer Testing in Australia for some good hot testing. Nice of the earth to give us the opposite season based upon northern and southern hemispheres. ;) The only problem is going hot during cold and cold during hot at home.