Great places to travel for outdoor experiences

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the USA there are places you can go for really great outdoor experiences, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, to name a few. But how about places in other countries? I heard South Africa is really nice, and New Zealand too. I would like to visit both places and I might be taking a trip to South Africa in a year or so.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The great barrier reef in Australia is pretty cool. And you could come down and do some mma while you are there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK we have some lovely places. In Scotland there are the Highlands and Islands, the Cairngorms and huge areas of mountain and hill walking. England has the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales, the Peak District, the Wolds, there's Dartmoor, Exmoor. We have several long walking trails such as the Coast to Coast, the Lyke Wake Walk, the Coastal Path. Wales has Snowdonia National Park, Anglesey. All are beautiful and historical as well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to see the Scottish Highlands some day before I die. It has always been a place of beauty in my mind.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to visit New Zealand also. Seems to have some great places to explore

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometime I just wonder if you like to climb along the hill side and look at the ocean, does it make any different which country that you are in? All ocean look the same. When I hike on the Shell Beach Bluff Trail – Ontario Ridge Trail Loop I truly don't care which country that I'm in.

If you can have mountain (or hill) and ocean at the same time, what else do you need? Of course lake can be pretty but it just can't compare to ocean.

Shell Beach Bluff Trail - Ontario Ridge Trail San Luis Obispo Hikespeak.com

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are a World Heritage areas and National Parks in most countries around the world. For me, they all offer fantastic experiences. I've recently had a friend who climbed to base camp in Nepal and Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. Another friend sailed the inside passage up to Alaska. These are now on my bucket list along with Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

Personally I loved the Rocky Mountains in Canada and the Southern Alps of New Zealand. Kayaking in Antarctica was an experience hard to beat as well. Kruger National Park in South Africa, walking the Inca Trail in Peru, walking along the Great Wall in China, all sensational. Kauai in Hawaii was also a fantastic place to visit. Then you could spend years travelling around Australia where every outback destination is an experience.

Now I'm starting to get that travel itch again. :D

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The great thing with New Zealand is that in a relatively small sized country you have such a varied geographic experience. You have the glaciers in the South Island (Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers are beautiful things to walk on), the Alps, Mt Cook. In the North Island you have large areas of forest, temperate and sub-tropical forest, the volcanic zone with volcanoes and geysers (you can ski on an active volcano) in the mid of the country and then beautiful beaches and scuba diving in the Coromandel and further up the North Island. The great variety packed into an area only slightly larger than the UK is a real bonus for travellers that want to see a lot in a short time. It's a long way to go but it's worth it : )

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look close to home!
I bet there are marvelous places that are wonderful, but nobody local ever goes there!
I know some fantastic places in Germany, from the Northsea to the Alps, some tucked away, some traveled well.
Go for a walk on the bottom of the ocean when the tide is out, look at the mountains and catch your breath at the majesty of creation, or loose yourself in the forests.

We have a wonderful state park with mountains, lakes and waterfalls near by (2 hour drive), the states highest peak is even closer, and just as breath taking!

Other than that, I think if it's new it will inspire your soul.
(and I have to add, Wales has some lovely places as well. One has not to travel far!)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The great barrier reef in Australia is pretty cool. And you could come down and do some mma while you are there.

Supposedly Australia is a good place to go if your name is Alexander and you're having a really bad day.

But aside from that I've seen pictures of Australia and it looks beautiful, I would like to visit someday.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Be careful in South Africa, it's become a dangerous place in the last twenty years. Lot of Martial Arts there, though, so pack your gi.

Capetown is really nice. Krugar National Park is a great place to see wildlife.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly Australia is a good place to go if your name is Alexander and you're having a really bad day.

But aside from that I've seen pictures of Australia and it looks beautiful, I would like to visit someday.

Not sure what Alexander means, Australia is a beautiful country to visit and travel, but is very expensive. Is close to NZ, so you could easily do both if you were incline so.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure what Alexander means, Australia is a beautiful country to visit and travel, but is very expensive. Is close to NZ, so you could easily do both if you were incline so.

I was thinking alexander downer the politician. But that was all i could come up with.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Be careful in South Africa, it's become a dangerous place in the last twenty years. Lot of Martial Arts there, though, so pack your gi.

Capetown is really nice. Krugar National Park is a great place to see wildlife.

Supposedly South Africa has become much better since the mid 90s. There is no more apartheid and Nelson Mandela really fixed stuff up when he was president.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Alexander is the main character in this book that just about every child in pre-school and elementary school has heard or read. Its about a boy having a really bad day and throughout the book he wants to move to Australia. In the Australian and New Zealand releases, though, he wants to move to Timbuktu instead.

Just last year there was a movie released that was based on the book.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well anyway, the Rocky Mountains are beautiful. Driving through them is quite the sight. Sometimes when I drive to Nevada or the West Coast I drive through the Rocky Mountains when I go through Colorado. Colorado in general is very beautiful, if you're west of Denver. If you're east of Denver its very flat and very bland and its much like Kansas.