General weakness

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I haven't been to taekwondo in about 2 months and I went to my first aikido class, loved it but haven't been able to go back.

Why? Vitamin D deficiency. Possibly the most rubbish sickness anyone could think of. xD

This is probably because I work at night, have not been partying in the Med and am no longer a member of Leicestershire County Cricket Club. You get your vitamin D from sunlight if you didn't know.

I'm now on supplements for three months. Hopefully I'll be back training in the next few weeks as the supplements kick in.

I just wondered if anyone else has been through similar?

Also I just got a taekwondo tattoo if anyone would be interested in seeing it. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I haven't been to taekwondo in about 2 months and I went to my first aikido class, loved it but haven't been able to go back.

Why? Vitamin D deficiency. Possibly the most rubbish sickness anyone could think of. xD

This is probably because I work at night, have not been partying in the Med and am no longer a member of Leicestershire County Cricket Club. You get your vitamin D from sunlight if you didn't know.

I'm now on supplements for three months. Hopefully I'll be back training in the next few weeks as the supplements kick in.

Also I just got a taekwondo tattoo if anyone would be interested in seeing it. :)

Most people who live in northern climes are Vitamin D deficient. I take Vitamin D supplements on the request of my general physician. I don't go out in the sun because my people came from where your people apparently came or thereabouts (Wales, my DNA haplogroup tells me) and I burn badly.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes! I would! Wait.. what part of your body.. n'mind.. yes!! :D

Well here they are. A tiger with my belts so far. The idea is that when I get a new belt I'll get it tattooed below the last one.

I have to get at least a 1st dan black belt or I'll just have a lame tattoo. xD

received_1092768827525745.jpeg
received_1092768927525735.jpeg

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well here they are. A tiger with my belts so far. The idea is that when I get a new belt I'll get it tattooed below the last one.

I have to get at least a 1st dan black belt or I'll just have a lame tattoo. xD

View attachment 20942 View attachment 20943
Ooh very impressive and big! I like that.. can I touch it? haha.. Colours came out good for you! It will be a whole sleeve by the time you are Grandmaster Flash, then you will have to have the belts inked across your belly and up your other arm! :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow... That is cool, but won't random people on the street want to fight you? :rolleyes:

What a TKD yellow belt?

That would be a tale to tell their grand kids.

(I had a guy offer to fight me when I mentioned I broke my hand doing wrestling. I basically told him the same thing)

I just realized that in a thread where the OP has so little sun light that they are getting sick probably won't be walking around sleeveless all that often.

Anyway Vitimin D and exercise.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/chomistek-exercise-vitamin-d-heart-risk/

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've always regarded people claiming VITAMIN d deficiency, to fall under the general heading of needy new agers,who have to have something wrong with them to justify their latest detox diet, where they swap sitting under a pyramid, to sitting under a light box and tell every one they are SAD. I live in Manchester where we get about 40hours of sunshine a year and manage to get by with out my bones crumbling

what on earth symptoms did you have that required you to jack MA in , people with tats like yours clearly take their MA seriously, it must have been really bad?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It rains more in Wales than in England.

Even more in Scotland and Ireland where everyone is pale and ginger. xD

That's a load of nonsense. It rains more in the Lake district than Wales. People in Scotland aren't pale and ginger. There's also only one cricket club worth mentioning...Yorkshire.

I've always regarded people claiming VITAMIN d deficiency...

From NHS guidelines " People with dark skin from African, African-Caribbean and south Asian backgrounds may not get enough vitamin D from sunlight. They should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10mcg of vitamin D throughout the year."

In the UK we don't get a lot of sun during the winter but the NHS says we should get enough vitamin D through our diet which should be a balanced one. I have seen a couple of articles in the media from the type of people who like to faff on about their health, (the ones who won't eat bread because of the gluten but enjoy a couple of slices of toast) which say we don't get enough vitamin D in the UK. I daresay they don't because these people don't eat properly, are on faddy diets and are too busy on mumsnet to get outside. the children of these people have been suffering from vitamin D deficiency because they have been smothered in factor 50 sunscreen and not allowed out in the light. :rolleyes: they also have allergies because they live in a home that is disinfected to within an inch of it's life not allowing the kids to develop immunities, I daresay they are also sick because they haven't been vaccinated.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a load of nonsense. It rains more in the Lake district than Wales. People in Scotland aren't pale and ginger. There's also only one cricket club worth mentioning...Yorkshire.

From NHS guidelines " People with dark skin from African, African-Caribbean and south Asian backgrounds may not get enough vitamin D from sunlight. They should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10mcg of vitamin D throughout the year."

In the UK we don't get a lot of sun during the winter but the NHS says we should get enough vitamin D through our diet which should be a balanced one. I have seen a couple of articles in the media from the type of people who like to faff on about their health, (the ones who won't eat bread because of the gluten but enjoy a couple of slices of toast) which say we don't get enough vitamin D in the UK. I daresay they don't because these people don't eat properly, are on faddy diets and are too busy on mumsnet to get outside. the children of these people have been suffering from vitamin D deficiency because they have been smothered in factor 50 sunscreen and not allowed out in the light. :rolleyes: they also have allergies because they live in a home that is disinfected to within an inch of it's life not allowing the kids to develop immunities, I daresay they are also sick because they haven't been vaccinated.
my brother in-law has a,cleanliness ocd, which he has tried to infect his,children with, you touched a leaf, go and wash your hands, don't walk on the grass youl get your shoes dirty , really ! I get great pleasure seeing his face when I return them from a day in the woods, covered in mud, straches bruises and nettles rash with their immaculate,cloths now in rags, having eaten a ton of sweets and fizzy drinks they are not allowed and having eaten their sandwiches with dirty hands, the kids love it, he is not so keen," you've let them go swimming in that dirty lake again haven't you" why has he got snails in his bag, they escaped and are all over the house, and who taught them how to light fires

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my brother in-law has a,cleanliness ocd, which he has tried to infect his,children with, you touched a leaf, go and wash your hands, don't walk on the grass youl get your shoes dirty , really ! I get great pleasure seeing his face when I return them from a day in the woods, covered in mud, straches bruises and nettles rash with their immaculate,cloths now in rags, having eaten a ton of sweets and fizzy drinks they are not allowed and having eaten their sandwiches with dirty hands, the kids love it, he is not so keen," you've let them go swimming in that dirty lake again haven't you" why has he got snails in his bag, they escaped and are all over the house, and who taught them how to light fires
That's what uncles are for, man.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow... That is cool, but won't random people on the street want to fight you? :rolleyes:

I hope not. xD

Ooh very impressive and big! I like that.. can I touch it? haha.. Colours came out good for you! It will be a whole sleeve by the time you are Grandmaster Flash, then you will have to have the belts inked across your belly and up your other arm! :)

Well I worked out that I have enough arm length to get to 5th Dan. I'm 35 now so would be almost pension age when I'd get to the point I run out of arm, if I ever do. I'd like to hope so.

What on earth symptoms did you have that required you to jack MA in , people with tats like yours clearly take their MA seriously, it must have been really bad?

Just felt completely exhausted all of the time, sleeping for 10 hours plus every day, no motivation, no energy. I have every intention of going to training but I'd wake up and the class was half way through or I'd just be too tired to be able to get up and go. To be honest I thought I was just going mental at first, so on my way to work one day I stopped at the doctors and asked for an appointment, they said they'll see me in the morning. I told him and he told me I needed blood tests so I made an appointment for them which I got same day, I went back a week later and was given the good news. Given a prescription for vitamin D which I'm still on now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given a prescription for vitamin D which I'm still on now.

I think you need to ask your doctor why you need it, lack of sunshine at this time of year isn't a factor so I'd ask if there is an underlying condition.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you need to ask your doctor why you need it, lack of sunshine at this time of year isn't a factor so I'd ask if there is an underlying condition.
he says he works nights, so it very well might be?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he says he works nights, so it very well might be?

I've worked shifts for over 40 years, 12 hour shifts including a lot of night shifts. I quite like sleeping through the day but you don't sleep through all the daylight hours. You don't need hours of sun every day to get your vitamin D. Our federation had looked extensively into shift patterns and health, shifts do cause medical problems but I would suspect the deficiency is indicating underlying problems.
this didn't apply to us but it did the civilian staff. https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/AHardDaysNight.pdf

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most people who live in northern climes are Vitamin D deficient. I take Vitamin D supplements on the request of my general physician. I don't go out in the sun because my people came from where your people apparently came or thereabouts (Wales, my DNA haplogroup tells me) and I burn badly.

I've never had a sun burn before. I just get darker, from what it looks like it's a real hassle. Looks almost like a chemical burn.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did they also test for diabetes? Uncontrolled blood sugar will make you constantly tired and weak, as well as feeling like/needing to urinate more often.

My wife was diagnosed with vitamin deficiency but she was told that she not only needed to take a high dose of vitamin D, but also something else to help absorb the D. I don't know if any of that applies to you.