any musicians here?

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hello - this is my first post here. This board is amazing - I have been reading here every day since I found it.

Do you fellow musicians have any suggestons for keeping your hands in shape (other than not attempting to break blocks with knuckles)?

Are there certain styles to avoid with this consideration in mind? I have been taking glucosamine and msm vitamin supplements to keep my joints in shape.

I did Aikido for 3 years, then did Kenpo for 6 months at the Taoist Institute in Los Angeles, and have done a jkd concepts classfor 1 year.

Thanks - Randy

M

muaythaifreak

I have been playing bass for several years in conjunction with my MT training. I have never been unable to play due to my MA training. I am very careful however to wrap my hands really well and I never hit anything without wraps and gloves. I love playing bass about as much as I love Muay Thai, so I don't want to have to stop either of them.

C

Chrono

I played trumpet in high school. It didn't do anything to my hand. Although, during marching band season, my arms would get kind of sore from holding it up for long periods of time.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
L Canyon, what type of instrument do you play?

MTF plays bass? Awesome. What type of music?

ps., welcome to the boards L Canyon.

OP
L Canyon

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:

Thanks man. I play guitar, and have a nice home studio setup. One of my "jobs" is reviewing musical gear for a magazine (Robb Report). It's an "expensive toys" magazine that usually focusses on exotic cars, watches and the like. But thanks to me, there are now guitar articles in almost every issue.

Randy

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sweet. I'm a drum enthusiast, hobby only for now. I don't have a kit right now (baby, no room in house), but intend to pick one up in a couple of years. So for me, taking care of my hands is a bit of a non issue, as I practice Modern Arnis, so the two fit together quite nicely. In fact, hammering on the drums taught me how not to hit myself in the head with the sticks when I'm rockin', which has turned out to be quite useful.

M

muaythaifreak

flatlander said:

I play just about anything I can get into, being a bass player I obviously prefer music with heavy bass lines and rapid chord changes. I love playing blues the most as it usually relies heavily on my instrument. I also enjoy playing 70's style rock music like America, Bad finger, CCR, Rush, etc... Another favorite of mine is just about anything by James taylor as his music is ususally pretty complex.

M

markulous

I play the guitar also. I usually play blues or rock. My favorite artists are John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Carlos Santana, Johnny Lang, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Staind, Eric Clapton, and the list goes on.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i play the organ and piano so my fingers are important. i think conditioning is the most important thing. so once you build up your strength you shouldn't have a problem with any style.

Latest Discussions