General advice on baseball bat combat?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh gosh, another possible inaccessible martial art. lol. Maybe if I find an aikido school somewhere close.

In my area, it's really just BJJ, Judo, MMA, and Taekwondo. There is, unfortunately, not much variety. I'm gonna have to really check to see if that's accessible close by.
Many styles of karate include kobudo (weapons) in their curriculum. Principles from some of those weapons will translate, and karate schools are generally easier to find than aikido.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Many styles of karate include kobudo (weapons) in their curriculum. Principles from some of those weapons will translate, and karate schools are generally easier to find than aikido.

I might consider joining one, then. I'll go see what's available.

For now, I'm just getting settled into my training schedule. Once sticking to my training schedule (both weights and Judo) becomes second nature, I'll go check out what Karate schools are available near me.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Move into the batter and jam him as you grab his wrist. With right arm block, then Up elbow to chin, horizontal elbow to side of face, knee to whereever. Grab bat and take it away. Easy peazy. That, or run away…

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Move into the batter and jam him as you grab his wrist. With right arm block, then Up elbow to chin, horizontal elbow to side of face, knee to whereever. Grab bat and take it away. Easy peazy. That, or run away…
None of that is likely to be as easy as you make it sound.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
None of that is likely to be as easy as you make it sound.
Really? That’s where the “run away” part kicks in. Haha. Of course it’s not easy and what makes matters worse, what if he’s an ex MLB player gone mad?
We practice bats and other heavy blunt instruments. It’s a formula that works if you get the jump. Of course there are a million variables. Wrap arm, go for throat, head butt, go for lead leg, scream like a banshee, etc. it’s all the same concept. What are you going to do, Bob and weave from a horse stance? Well maybe…

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Use the bookie method...break their kneecaps and make em pay ya double. But in seriousness the butt strikes he demoed in that video and the horizontal strikes along with the traditional way to swing is how I'd use a bat.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? That’s where the “run away” part kicks in. Haha. Of course it’s not easy and what makes matters worse, what if he’s an ex MLB player gone mad?
We practice bats and other heavy blunt instruments. It’s a formula that works if you get the jump. Of course there are a million variables. Wrap arm, go for throat, head butt, go for lead leg, scream like a banshee, etc. it’s all the same concept. What are you going to do, Bob and weave from a horse stance? Well maybe…
There are far more variables than that. If he’s swinging for the bleachers, getting inside is easier. If he’s using it as an effective weapon, it gets much harder…and so does everything else.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah thanks.

The first video I watched about this kind of thing actually did talk about the same thing. The lesson of not treating the baseball bat as if you're trying to hit a home run in a baseball game.

It's really really hard, in my opinion, to truly evaluate whether a certain teacher has truly good techniques or not. At least with kendo and other forms of fencing, there are schools and competitions for them. And they have a rich history. But with baseball bats... It's tricky as hell. It's not like we get issued a baseball when joining the military or something. Heck, gun combat probably has better teaching methodologies.

Yes try to avoid using the the two handed swing, / power swing.
I cannot remember the number of bats, gold clubs, tire irons and other items I took from people who thought they were in sport shape and knew how to use their tool.
Carry it around one handed.
Choke up on it so it feels a little bit better.
Use the tip to turn on and off the lights switches. Then use the handle as well while in the same grip.
Use it to close the fridge. Make it an extension of your movements and actions.
if you can understand the placement here in these day to day tasks, and make it your own, then in a situation of having to use it you will feel more comfortable and will not get hung up on the lamps and walls and the corners.
Also if you carry it in a vehicle and do not have a legitimate reason , going to or from batting cage, or softball or .. , then it is what you are using it for, a weapon. Not just an improvised device in self defense. Check your local laws for force escalation.
Also for castle doctrine and if you have to retreat, for if that is the case, then using it in your own house is not much different legally than a firearm. Back to force escalation, it usually is considered enough of a force multiplier that it construes deadly force. Which means the opponent can reply in kind with deadly force. including deploying firearms.
Note: Not a lawyer, nor LEO. Not meant as actual legal advice, it is based to get one who reads this, to do their own homework for their local area on laws for self defense and to make them aware.
Good luck and best wishes

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are far more variables than that. If he’s swinging for the bleachers, getting inside is easier. If he’s using it as an effective weapon, it gets much harder…and so does everything else.
MLB and bleachers! I see what you did there…nice.
“Effective weapon” do you mean that he/she/it is a trained bat fighter?

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes try to avoid using the the two handed swing, / power swing.
I cannot remember the number of bats, gold clubs, tire irons and other items I took from people who thought they were in sport shape and knew how to use their tool.
Carry it around one handed.
Choke up on it so it feels a little bit better.
Use the tip to turn on and off the lights switches. Then use the handle as well while in the same grip.
Use it to close the fridge. Make it an extension of your movements and actions.
if you can understand the placement here in these day to day tasks, and make it your own, then in a situation of having to use it you will feel more comfortable and will not get hung up on the lamps and walls and the corners.
Also if you carry it in a vehicle and do not have a legitimate reason , going to or from batting cage, or softball or .. , then it is what you are using it for, a weapon. Not just an improvised device in self defense. Check your local laws for force escalation.
Also for castle doctrine and if you have to retreat, for if that is the case, then using it in your own house is not much different legally than a firearm. Back to force escalation, it usually is considered enough of a force multiplier that it construes deadly force. Which means the opponent can reply in kind with deadly force. including deploying firearms.
Note: Not a lawyer, nor LEO. Not meant as actual legal advice, it is based to get one who reads this, to do their own homework for their local area on laws for self defense and to make them aware.
Good luck and best wishes
Ahh yes, becoming one with the bat. I stir my spaghetti noodles with mine, but never thought of the light thing. Good idea.

Anything becomes a weapon when you use it as a weapon. If you have to use a bat outside your home for defense then you’re living in the wrong part of town or Chicago or both.