Gear question for my students

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I run a non-profit program for low-income students, I want to keep the prices low on everything. I'm going to start them sparring soon & I'm looking at what gear I should require. The Community Center is picking up the tab for some Head gear & Hogus. Mouthpieces & cups (for the guys) are obvious choices for mandatory items.

I'm thinking about cloth shin/insteps & forearm guards as mandatory, also. I really don't know if I'll steer them toward USAT-style tourneys or "open" style tourneys. So, I'm debating about foam boots & fists as optional or recommended gear. I want them protected, & I want them to be able to afford gear, too.

Thoughts?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Icemansk Check your pm later for info. on a great company and great prices. Don't want to go any further class is starting.
Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I should say that I have wholesale accounts with several vendors that get me good prices. Although, I'm always on the lookout for less expensive. I'm more concerned with other folks thoughts on whether I should require WTF style gear or Point style gear.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think if cost is an issue, you should limit your options, at least for now. That way you don't have to buy something you may not even need. I'd stay away from the foam gloves and boots. At least to start.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dipped foam gear is cheap, just get a wholesale account with Century, the markup is what brings the price up, seriously it's 150 - 200%.

Then again it typically falls apart within 3 or 4 classes if memory serves...

But whatever you decide to go with, get set up as a "club" with a big distributer, wholesale prices are a lot cheaper then the retail ones.

Foam gear is IMO a waste, only reason to use that is if you want them in tournaments where it is required. Otherwise, don't bother, there is other, better and cheaper gear on the market.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stay with the cloth in the beginning it is cheaper and last alot longer.
Terry

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Your in a good place for either type of tourney. What is your goal for your students? What style do you teach? I'd also reccomend that your students buy their own helmets since everybody sweats in them so profusley.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I go to 4 sparring classes a week, and use dipped foam gear. I have never had a problem with it.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sam said:
I go to 4 sparring classes a week, and use dipped foam gear. I have never had a problem with it.

Yup, and Macho gear has been durable in my own sparring experience. Adidas gear is good too, but it costs some. Both have lasted through some really mean scraps and sparring sessions in training and also in tourneys in my experience.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really like the gear Masterline sells - it's not the foam-dipped type, it's vinyl, it's not expensive, it doesn't split like the foam-dipped can, and I wore the same set for about 10 years before the straps wore out and I had to buy new gear... and the old stuff is still in the bin for students who don't have their own; they just have to wrap the elastic straps longer.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cloth instep would have to be bought by the students. It has to be washed all the time. If they have to buy it, then the Adidas foam two pc shin and instep is better protection but do get wear and tear. I've worn mine for years now and have just a few cracks. It helps not to leave it in the hot car. Forget the boots. I had more toe troubles as a newbie using them. I use foam forearm guards and those don't break as much as foam headgear & instep.TW

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for your food for thought. Your replies & PM's have been most helpful. :asian:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Foam/ cloth is good, and surprisingly sturdy for strikes and blocks and inexpensive. That is what I'd go for.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
Your in a good place for either type of tourney. What is your goal for your students? What style do you teach? I'd also reccomend that your students buy their own helmets since everybody sweats in them so profusley.

I'm affiliated with the WTF but I'm more partial to point & continuous point fighting. My goal for them is to be able to train with sparring & get the idea of what its like to be hit & to hit another with Control. Tournaments are just to put them in situations to spar against other people they don't know & to workout their techniques (what works, what doesn't) winning is secondary.

I hear ya about the hear gear, I'll take it up with the folks at the Center.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
Yup, and Macho gear has been durable in my own sparring experience. Adidas gear is good too, but it costs some. Both have lasted through some really mean scraps and sparring sessions in training and also in tourneys in my experience.

I never have had problems w/ Macho foam gear either. The straps would wear out after years, but not the foam.

Latest Discussions