An inspiration for us all...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is an incredible article. I am a living testament to the wonders of the martial arts. I participate in Hapkido and Tae Kwon at Moo Sul Kwan. I don't have MS, however I dont have any cartiledge left, my knee caps pull hard to the outside of the quad, they are off track and are off tilt. Not only that but I have to wear leg braces to keep everything together.

I practiced Judo and Hapkido as a kid. I joined the Marine Corps in 92. I went to Haiti in 1994 and got severely injured. Then it seemed any little training accident just compounded. I was in knee braces when I got out of the Marines full time. By the way, I was also in a helicopter crash which did an awful number on my back.

I did get back into class for a few years and was getting much better with core strength and mobility, then schedules changed and I had to quit. When it got worse It was really bad. I was not only in leg braces, but a back brace and cane.

Three months ago dad was at my house and told me, you know you have to go back to class....It will help you. Go to Tae Kwon Do and ease back into hapkido.

The Grandmaster and other black belts have been so helpful for my physical therapy, I have taken so many training a physical therapy tips from their knowledge, gee money couldn't buy it.

However, if people have knee and back problems, I workout everyday so here is a sample of what I do to help my mobility.

Hip circles, knee circles, bridging, half rep judo pushups, swing throughs, a ton of hip and hamstring stretching. along with a few hundred cruches. After I do an assortment of kicking starting with the three basic, (Front snap kick, side and round.) Because I can only stand minimal torque to my knees I do all kicking front leg. From there I do the crescent - (inside and outer), axe, heel, sythe, twist, stomp and inverted stomp kicks, ending with inverted arc and front upraising. I do all kicks both legs 10 reps each. I do midsection for all and head high for as many as I can. So each kick gets at least twenty reps per leg.

I do forms, basics, and one steps in class and I do the twenty five son mok soo and uei bok soo in class only. I will test for green in Hapkido shortly and Tae Kwon Do not long after.

I am just so incredibly happy to be able to train. I had missed it so incredibly much and Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido have helped give me my life back.

Furthermore, I am very glad to have found this incredibly nice website to be able to chat with other martial artists.

Hoshin
- Matt

Latest Discussions